2nd cycle blues...

I have applied to 22 schools this cycle compared to the 10 I did in my first. I am in a huge slump right now mentally on what I need to improve my application. I knew coming out of undergrad in 2019 that my GPA and experience were not acceptable for any PA program. I took it upon myself to get my STNA license and work to get my cumulative to a 3.0. I have worked in healthcare for 3 years now in both pediatric oncology and now in sports medicine. I was also taking classes, shadowing, and starting a fundraiser all while battling cancer. I did not do the best on my GRE but enough that it lands in the acceptable range. Schools are still sending me rejections and when I ask for any feedback it is never met with a response. I have had this goal of becoming a PA since I was  in high school and I am starting to reach a point where my credits from undergrad might be out of date. I would appreciate any help or guidance or even reassurance. I know this process is not one anybody looks forward too, but it is becoming debilitating. Best of luck to everyone applying and interviewing right now. Aside from what is happening for me, I am so excited to see people getting into the programs and accomplishing a goal.

This is a tough one. Sometimes it takes longer. It took me 4 cycles for example so don’t give up and keep living your life. Is your science GPA sufficient? >3? If not or on the border of 3 I would recommend dropping to prn or part time CNA and acing another semester of courses (try to get it to 3.2). If you graduated in 2019, you should be safe for another few years before expiry.

22 school is a lot. Are you spending enough time with each application/supplemental? What are your references? Are you writing a biography for a personal statement or are you making it interesting and readable?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 10:30 AM, ANESMCR said:

This is a tough one. Sometimes it takes longer. It took me 4 cycles for example so don’t give up and keep living your life. Is your science GPA sufficient? >3? If not or on the border of 3 I would recommend dropping to prn or part time CNA and acing another semester of courses (try to get it to 3.2). If you graduated in 2019, you should be safe for another few years before expiry.

22 school is a lot. Are you spending enough time with each application/supplemental? What are your references? Are you writing a biography for a personal statement or are you making it interesting and readable?

My references include a professor, one of the orthopedic surgeons I work directly with and his PA, another PA i shadowed and an NP I also work with quite frequently. I have had my personal statement looked over numerous times by many who have been accepted into school. I made sure to write as if I was giving backstory as to why I want to be a PA and why my resume has fueled by goals of becoming a PA. Making sure to distinguish why it will separate me from the rest of those that are applying. 

I really feel for you here, the part about it being debilitating I understand all too well. I agree a lot with the above post from ANESMCR and their ideas on ways to continue to beef up your application. On another note please try and give yourself grace right now, this process takes so much out of us. I know its so easy to question if what we are doing is enough, but if you are trying your best that is all you can do. Sending you good luck and good vibes! Wish you all the best 

On 11/10/2022 at 10:10 AM, UGoLong said:

Did you get any interviews or were you rejected during the application process?

This is an important distinction. If you aren't getting any interviews, then the "issue" lies in your application.

If you are getting interviews and then are getting rejections, you should focus on your interview skills.

I also agree that 22 schools is a tremendous amount! I understand the desire to cast a wide net, but should you need to apply another cycle, I'd really sit down and look at your materials, your strengths, and your goals and only select schools that you think would be a good fit FOR YOU. If you apply to a school that has a primary care focus and your entire story is about wanting to work in interventional cardiology (just an an example) your application, however compelling, may not signal to the school that they are the best match.

• 2 weeks later...