Tips for Setting Up Your Own Clinical Rotations

First, get a feel for your program's receptivity to this.  Not all are.  Next, see about the pre-rotation timeline to get all needed paperwork done: affiliation agreements between your preceptor and the program, credentialing if any portion of the rotation will be at a hospital or surgery center.

Once you've got this handled, then you can start recruiting preceptors.  I don't know about cold-calling places.  The very few rotations I found were through networking.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 1:17 AM, ohiovolffemtp said:

First, get a feel for your program's receptivity to this.  Not all are.  Next, see about the pre-rotation timeline to get all needed paperwork done: affiliation agreements between your preceptor and the program, credentialing if any portion of the rotation will be at a hospital or surgery center.

Once you've got this handled, then you can start recruiting preceptors.  I don't know about cold-calling places.  The very few rotations I found were through networking.

I agree with this post 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 1:17 AM, ohiovolffemtp said:

Hey! Thanks so much for your reply. My program seems open to this given we have struggled in the past (and present) with ensuring students get rotations and many students are not finding out about moving for new rotations until a few weeks before starting. I am lucky enough to have connections with 2 major hospitals I did my HCE at, however like you said, they let me know that they are not in contract/agreement with my school and need to be for me to rotate there (which involves lawyers and the like).

Silly question, but is there a specific pre-rotation timeline to follow or is it specific to each school/program? 

Thank you for your input, it has been really helpful!

The timeline will be dependent on both your school and the facility.  You should ask both how long it typically takes an affiliation agreement to be approved.  It's likely that your school has the required documents already prepared.  Ask the clinical coordinator to forward the documents to whomever at the facility would need to approved them (it's up to you to find that contact).  The facility likely has some sort of review process they'll go through.  1 month is likely moving very fast, 2-3 is more likely.  So, start ASAP once you've got someone at the facility that's willing to precept you.