South College- Asheville

The final interview went quickly and I was offered a spot today before we left the building, but I don’t think I’m accepting it after visiting the Asheville building (very, very small with few resources), feeling like the majority of faculty does not have great experience teaching or as PAs, and they were dishonest with several people I know. They were told to still submit their application even when the school knew the final interview was full. South College seems only focused on getting our money and having high GPAs (they do not look at you holistically, do NOT apply if you have low scores). I’m nervous about them losing accreditation, as well. 

Edited by pa2022hopeful

12 hours ago, pa2022hopeful said:

The final interview went quickly and I was offered a spot today before we left the building, but I don’t think I’m accepting it after visiting the Asheville building (very, very small with few resources), feeling like the majority of faculty does not have great experience teaching or as PAs, and they were dishonest with several people I know. They were told to still submit their application even when the school knew the final interview was full. South College seems only focused on getting our money and having high GPAs (they do not look at you holistically, do NOT apply if you have low scores). I’m nervous about them losing accreditation, as well. 

I know someone who applied here last week and they were told they were reviewing more applications this week. Unsure if that is true or not

I interviewed on 12/12 and I thought I would share my thoughts on the experience:

The staff seemed very kind and passionate about the program. I asked all three of my interviewers why they were so passionate about SC Asheville's mission and they gave very thoughtful answers that were specific to their geographic area and the vision of the program's outreach. They seem very confident in the didactic schedule and structure, they manage to make it a 4-day week even with extra work involved with it being a 150+ credit hour program. They have clinical sites set up in Virginia, NC, and SC. It will be interesting to see how they can set up clinical choices for students, but with only having to worry about up to 85 students this cycle and it being their first I have no doubt they will have enough focus on that in a year with the increases in staff they have planned. 

They do give you a decision the day of. They are the only program I've seen that gives in-person feedback with multiple panelists to help improve your application, which regardless of getting into school is a huge added benefit if you can manage to get an interview. The group interview process was smooth, I felt like everyone in my group had an opportunity to answer every question if they wanted to and it was very conversational. The personal interviews were very relaxed and low-stress. It was a very pleasant experience to say the least, I don' think it could've gone much better.

I would disagree with a previous post, my CASPA uGPA was a 3.2 and sGPA was a 3.51. I am not a high stat applicant and they seemed to have a really good mix of applicants for my interview day. There were some individuals called the day before the interview day so they were actively reviewing applications up to that day. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2022 at 10:53 PM, pa2022hopeful said:

I agree, I emailed and asked if the 12th was their last interview date and received a complete non-answer. And now I’m reading that they told other people it was their last interview.

• Upvote 1