Supplemental Application for 2013 PA Program

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find any thread regarding filling in the supplemental application specifically in the area of all the prerequisites but cannot find any solution to my problem. Anyway, how do you fill in the total credits earn for each courses if my class is in one course (Lecture and Laboratory)? For example, I took Biology with 4 credits that included both the lecture and lab unlike my Chemistry classes where the lecture and lab are separated.

Thanks,

Anne Marre

Hello Anne Marre,

How long after the CASPA was verified did you receive the supplemental? Mine was verified last week, still no supplemental yet. Would you mind sharing the short essay questions? I'd like to get a head start, worried that I am late or something. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Good Luck on this journey!!

What i did was put 4 credits for my bio class and the grade I recieved, then below it I wrote bio lab 0 credits and same grade. my chem classes graded the lab separately. I dont know if this was the right way to do it but it was unclear on the application. they have our classes and credits from caspa anyway so it shouldnt be a big deal.

to tjl2012,

My CASPA was mailed to PCOM mid june and I didnt get the supplemental until 2 weeks ago so it might take awhile.

Hey everyone! I am a current first year in the PA program :) I submitted my application at the end of July and did not get offered an interview until early October....so it may take some time....also if you have a bunch of concerns in regards to the different applications the office of admissions were helpful when I called them. Best of luck and feel free to shoot any questions my way.It may take me a few days to get back to you, but I will do my best!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little confused about their secondary prompt. It says,

Noting the mission and objectives of the PA profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a Physician Assistant.

Ignoring the fact that the wording doesn't make sense, aka personal characteristics (I'm reading this as personality traits, someone correct me if I am mistaken) don't demonstrate anything except what kind of person you are. But I digress.

What are they actually asking for? Do they want me to describe my personality traits? Do they want to know what kind of student I am? Do they want the actions I've taken to prepare myself for the profession? Do they want why I'm qualified for the program? Do they want all of the above (in 250 words lol)? The only clear thing about this is the last line, where they want a story.

Can someone clarify/steer me in the right direction? I've been so perplexed by this question that PCOM's is the only secondary I have not sent in yet.

Also, how important is shadowing and job experience to them? That is the weakest part of my application. If they are really big on those, I more than likely won't get in.

• 1 year later...

Wow, that's really terrible writing.  Doesn't inspire much confidence in their ability to assess applicant writing samples...

Here's how I would translate the question for myself: 

"In the context of the PCOM mission and professional PA objectives, please describe your personal interest in the field.  (Elaborate on how you, as a unique candidate, are specifically interested in becoming a physician assistant.)  Include an example of a specific event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person, and relate this experience to your goal of becoming a PA."

I think they just want to see how you stand out among the crowd in a way that portrays you as a serious candidate and that you know, to a reasonable extent, what you're getting into (i.e., experience).  That's my thought, anyway.  Good luck! 

Archived