SmartMoney on PAs

I deal with this type of conversation a lot given how new PAs are in Ontario. I usually say something like "I studied medicine in the physician assistant program of the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University. The PA program is a fast-track, 7 month shorter version of their MD program." If they want more detail I then explain what the MDs get in their additional 7 months and other differences. Yes, it is a mouthful but if I said "PA school" that would mean nothing to most people and if I said "med school" they would assume I have an MD.

Until people know what a PA is I am sure I will have to give this longer answer. Once in a while I am pleasantly surprised to meet someone who knows what a PA is; it usually shocks the socks off me!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PUBLIC perception is the key here. To us that work in medicine we know and understand the hair-splitting that takes place between professions. To the vast majority of people in this country, stating that you went to medical school automatically means that you are a physician. That is the reality of the situation. Yes, I studied medicine, but I will never say that I went to medical school because of the implications of that statement to the general public. It is my job to educate patients about what I am.

Thankfully I work in an area where the reputation of my school is well known.

This is the answer I give IF the question is asked:

I attended the Emory University PA Program

I have a Masters in Medicine

I am a PA and I practice in the same capacity at the physicians at my office

Takes all of 15 seconds, people understand it, and we move on to their HPI.

That's my 2 cents. Seems to work well for me.

Perfect.

Davis

Doctor used to mean only physician

then PhD came along

then DPT and a slew of others

now DNP is here

and soon Doctor will really not mean physician at all.....

bias changes, lead, follow or get out of the way

again reread my posts to understand that I DO NOT claim to have attended medical school

Yep. The AAPA needs to let people know that PAs practice medicine and have a medical education--not "practice healthcare."

If the goal is to establish or objectively validate our credentials then we are looking at a universal mandatory masters. Then you have doctorate level medical education (MD) and masters level medical education (PAs and the rest of the world).

Why can't PA's just be happy to be PA's? It's amazing how many PA's now seem to have paper skin. Name not said exactly right...Oh no! I can't say I went to PA school it has to be medical school...give me a break?

Drop the identity crisis and be happy with what you are. I'm happy to have been a PA now for 19 years and yes....I went to PA school.

I agree on the med school part but the name of the profession IS important.

Doctor used to mean only physician

then PhD came along

then DPT and a slew of others

now DNP is here

and soon Doctor will really not mean physician at all.....

bias changes, lead, follow or get out of the way

again reread my posts to understand that I DO NOT claim to have attended medical school

Jeff

Not sure if this is directed at my post but I agree with you and am not saying that you claim to have gone to med school.

I think you might agree that we are in a (painful) transitional periods for the numerous doctorate-trained clinical personnel in health care. Pharm, PT, podiatry, opto, and of course NP have doctorate credentials.

At this point in time we can say that all those professions have TOTAL right to call themselves DOCTOR.

I would argue that a doctorate trained provider should not say they went to "med school" unless they are a physician, since those two are still so closely connected in the zeitgeist. I think you would agree there, perhaps....

Jeff

Not sure if this is directed at my post but I agree with you and am not saying that you claim to have gone to med school.

I think you might agree that we are in a (painful) transitional periods for the numerous doctorate-trained clinical personnel in health care. Pharm, PT, podiatry, opto, and of course NP have doctorate credentials.

At this point in time we can say that all those professions have TOTAL right to call themselves DOCTOR.

I would argue that a doctorate trained provider should not say they went to "med school" unless they are a physician, since those two are still so closely connected in the zeitgeist. I think you would agree there, perhaps....

Thanks - but I knew it was not in your thoughts - but everyone else seems to jump on a bandwagon of wannabe - with out reading the posts to understand the statements I made....

"has been a board certified PA practicing in rural medicine since graduating with honors from the University of Washington School of Medicine" This quote was taken from a short bio on one of the members of the PA For Tomorrow website.

This is an example of confusion that continues to exist within the ranks of PAs. A layperson would read that and say "Ok..they are a PA...what is a PA again? Oh, a PA is someone who went to the School of Medicine..oh, they went to med school..oh.. a PA is a doctor"...

Yes, it's nitpicking and splitting hairs but if we are going to be unified as a profession we need to get everyone on the same sheet of music.

Archived