Navy HSCP PA Program

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I am a Pre-PA student preparing to enter PA school in May and I had my Navy HSCP Appraisal/Interview today and got thrown quite a curveball of a question.

The interviewer asked "For this question you have to choose one, are you entering the military as a PA or an Officer?"

My answer was something along the lines of "The PA education that I will complete will enable me to become a medical provider so I am entering as a PA to join the Medical Service Corps to serve Navy personnel and their families."

I felt like this was the right way to answer the question but felt a lot of hesitation after I gave my answer. It almost seemed like the interviewer wanted me to say officer without actually saying it. When I look at the way the question was asked, the only logical route for me to serve as a officer as a non-prior service is to earn my PA education first and then go to ODS to commission and begin my career in the Navy. 

I am aware that being an officer in the Navy will carry other responsibilities other than my primary intention of being a PA considering that it will place me in a leadership role but something seemed reall off about that question.

Am I missing something here or am I just reading into it too much? 

36 minutes ago, JDB91 said:

Navy 1st -> Officer 2nd --> Role 3rd

Thank you for elaborating. I think I will still have one or two more interviews so I will have to expand on how my prior leadership experience will be transferable to the qualities of a Naval Officer. Seems I may have missed the mark on that with that particular question but I definitely conveyed other leadership capabilities for other questions during the interview.

For those following this thread, when the LCDR was complete with the interview portion there was a clear *end* to the interview and a more casual dialogue off record that enlightened me about their experience as a Navy PA that provided insight and some things to educate myself on moving forward in this process.