For those who have gone through the SJVC interview process:

• [*=1]How did you prepare for it?[*=1]How was it like? (i.e.) Did it take the entire day?, Did you have to do a lot of walking?, Did you get a tour of the school?[*=1]What were questions made to you that you did not expect? What questions did you have trouble answering?[*=1]How was your overall experience with SJVC's interview panel?[*=1]If you receive or have received an acceptance letter, would SJVC be your first choice?

Your input will be greatly appreciated. I'm contemplating the idea of applying to SJVC, but I would like to hear from those who have already gone through the process.

Thanks!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a SJVC grad, 2012 so I have a little insight into the process.

1. don't lie, try to BS or sugar coat anything. The program director is old school and he's heard it all, the rest of the committee is the same.

2. know the mission statement and understand it. If you don't fit it or it doesn't fit you then you may need to re-evaluate your options.

3. know yourself, your file is in front of them, they've read it and know it so if you know yourself and are honest with how you presented yourself then there should not be any unexpected questions that you can't handle.

4. your application gets you in the door, the interview is the sell, go in and be honest and open with the committee.

5. no way to anticipate or predict questions, they will vary with each candidate based on background so again, know yourself.

6. You don't tour the school on interview day. Check with the school about information sessions, they usually do 2-3 in the fall. This is a good opportunity to speak with faculty and current students and get a feel for the school.

7. SJVC was my 1st choice, I worked with several graduates from their program as well as a couple of their instructors when I was an ER nurse so I had a really good idea going into the program of what to expect, well, not really good, a little bit of an idea. Nothing can truly prepare you for PA school, its a different kind of animal.

good luck in you PA endeavors.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you, I shall make sure to research SJVC's mission statement before interviewing. I know it's hard to have a gauge of what to expect, especially because every school is different, but I just wanted to have an idea.Once again, thanks for you feedback! :)

Are you from the Central Valley of California? Familiar with Primary Care RHCs, FQHCs, FQHC lookalikes? How do you feel about driving at least 60 miles one way for clinical rotations in the fog? o you want to do a lot of hospital rotations? How do you feel about working with diverse populations? How's your Spanish, Russian or HMONG? Ever been in the military?

• 5 months later...
Is it true that SJVC is going to have 2 interviews? I mean, applicants who pass the first interview phase will get invitation for second interview. Then based on second interview, only 24 students will be selected.

Yes, that's the plan. Wow, just curious, why do you think I would post false information on the Forum about the admission process?

LESH

Today, March 21, marks the opening of the 2013 National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Programapplication cycle! The application cycle will remain open through May 14, 2013. The Application and Program Guidance can be found on the NHSC Website and contains all of the requirements and program details.

Highlights of 2013 NHSC Scholarship Program:

• The NHSC Scholarship Program removes the burden of overwhelming educational debt, allowing health professions students to pursue their passion for primary care and serving the underserved.
  • For each year of financial support (up to four years) a Scholarship recipient serves one year (minimum two years) in an NHSC-approved site in high-need urban, rural, and frontier communities across the nation.
  • Scholarship support includes tax-free payment of tuition, required fees, other reasonable educational costs, and a monthly living stipend (taxable).
  • All students applying to the program must be a U.S. citizen or national and enrolled or accepted in an eligible degree program at a U.S. accredited school in Medicine: MD or DO; Dentistry: DMD or DDS; Nurse Practitioner (Adult, Family, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Psychiatric, or Women’s health); Certified Nurse-Midwife; and Physician Assistant.

As in previous years, the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program will be competitive. If there are more qualified applicants than available funding, the NHSC will continue to prioritize applicants who are from a disadvantaged background and applicants who demonstrate a commitment to continuing to serve communities of need after their service to the NHSC is complete.

Help Us Spread the Word!

Share this information with your colleagues by directing them the NHSC Website, sharing NHSC Facebook and Twitter posts with your social media network and, speaking to prospective students about the benefits of the Scholarship Program. If you have any questions about the program you may call the Customer Care Center at 1-800-221-9393 or e-mail gethelp@hrsa.gov.

Thank you,

The National Health Service Corps

Thank you LESH. I'll send this info to my friends.

Today, March 21, marks the opening of the 2013 National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Programapplication cycle! The application cycle will remain open through May 14, 2013. The Application and Program Guidance can be found on the NHSC Website and contains all of the requirements and program details.

Highlights of 2013 NHSC Scholarship Program:

• The NHSC Scholarship Program removes the burden of overwhelming educational debt, allowing health professions students to pursue their passion for primary care and serving the underserved.
  • For each year of financial support (up to four years) a Scholarship recipient serves one year (minimum two years) in an NHSC-approved site in high-need urban, rural, and frontier communities across the nation.
  • Scholarship support includes tax-free payment of tuition, required fees, other reasonable educational costs, and a monthly living stipend (taxable).
  • All students applying to the program must be a U.S. citizen or national and enrolled or accepted in an eligible degree program at a U.S. accredited school in Medicine: MD or DO; Dentistry: DMD or DDS; Nurse Practitioner (Adult, Family, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Psychiatric, or Women’s health); Certified Nurse-Midwife; and Physician Assistant.

As in previous years, the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program will be competitive. If there are more qualified applicants than available funding, the NHSC will continue to prioritize applicants who are from a disadvantaged background and applicants who demonstrate a commitment to continuing to serve communities of need after their service to the NHSC is complete.

Help Us Spread the Word!

Share this information with your colleagues by directing them the NHSC Website, sharing NHSC Facebook and Twitter posts with your social media network and, speaking to prospective students about the benefits of the Scholarship Program. If you have any questions about the program you may call the Customer Care Center at 1-800-221-9393 or e-mail gethelp@hrsa.gov.

Thank you,

The National Health Service Corps

Thank you LESH for clearing out my confusion because all this time, i was thinking that there was going to be only one interview. Actually, i did not read about two interviews here on forum. I heard this from my colleague; and i wanted to make sure. I am sorry, i did not mean to ask this as a suspicious way.

Thank you LESH for clearing out my confusion because all this time, i was thinking that there was going to be only one interview. Actually, i did not read about two interviews here on forum. I heard this from my colleague; and i wanted to make sure. I am sorry, i did not mean to ask this as a suspicious way.

No worries, just curious. I try my best to be as transparent as possible. The ADCOM learned a great deal during last years cycle that they feel will improve the process. Going back to having multiple interview panels was something learned. It allows for greater participation by the stakeholders. It will be explained in detail at the time of the initial interview. I respectfully ask that applicants, please do not contact Michelle or Monica with questions about interview format at this time. We are still making calls to offer interviews and it slows down the process. It will be discussed fully at the time of the interview. In fact that would be a good question to ask the ADCOM at the interview "Why have multiple interviews?"

Hello,

So how does the two interview process work? What is trying to be gleaned at both? Also, will those who are chosen be notified in time to fill out applications for the NHSC scholarships? From what I've read about those they can't be submitted until after a person has been accepted in to a program.

One last question I have is what are the class schedules like in the 1st and 2nd year. Thanks,

Hello,

So how does the two interview process work? What is trying to be gleaned at both? Also, will those who are chosen be notified in time to fill out applications for the NHSC scholarships? From what I've read about those they can't be submitted until after a person has been accepted in to a program.

One last question I have is what are the class schedules like in the 1st and 2nd year. Thanks,

We are trying to glean as much information as possible about the applicants we plan to select. Hopefully, those chosen will be notified in time to apply to NHSC. Class schedules would be a good question to ask at the interview. During the didactic year we can run up to a 12 hour day. During the clinical year it depends on the rotation.

LESH, I'm excited to be intervewing towards the end of this month. If chosen for the 2nd interview process, approximately how much time would one be notified in-between each interview? (days, weeks..., etc.).

I'm also interested in applying for the NHSC Scholarship, however the deadline is May 12.

much appreciated!

Archived