• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I recently applied to the Sophie b. Davis PA program. I currently have a low overall gpa (2.7) and a 3.1 science gpa. I have worked with patients for about 9 years and currently hold my AA in nutrition. I have met all of the pre requisites for the PA program. I have recommendation letters from a PA, MD and a professor. Although I have my gpa this low, do I have a chance of being accepted? Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know how heavily sophie davis looks at experience vs gpa? My gpa is low but the minimums are met. I explained the irregularities in my personal statement in detail. I have 2400 hours of direct patient care as a nurses aide and recommendation letters from my boss and some of the nurses on my unit. Is there still a chance I could be accepted?

I am a current city student (not PA) but from what I've heard about this program is that it's more geared towards students with competitive grades and not necessarily lots of experience (experience is preferred, not required). That being said as log as you've met the minimum requirements and you have the experience to show on top of that, I don't see why you wouldn't have a good chance of getting in! Since I'm not a Sophie Davis student, I would also like to hear what others think about this.

Hey everyone! I know it's still a bit early, but has anyone heard back from Sophie Davis about interviews or even rejections yet? I received a mail from them awhile back and they said interviews aren't until spring, but rejection letters can be given during consideration time. I'm a little anxious because my bachelor's GPA is a bit low, but I have many volunteer work, direct patient contact, and shadowing experiences that I really hope brings out my application. All I want is an interview so I can show them who I really am and my passion in becoming a PA one day. If anyone has heard from Sophie Davis, please let us know. Thank you! Wish everyone lots of luck! =)

@plivingston: I do know it's not all about GPA. Like I said before once one meets the requirements, you stand a chance. From the sound of it, you've got good patient care experience. However, I heard that they look highly upon recommendation from PAs or MDs. It would probaly help to get one from either or.

@cleverisallxx: I have also heard that they're not huge on medical experience, in fact I've met many of their current and past students who took just the pre-reqs and got in. I've also met a good number who had lots of previous experience. I guess it really depends...

@ngannguyen8: It's very early indeed! I doubt that they even started to review the apps yet. I have a feeling that they will begin to review them around the deadline and interviews are during the months of April and May and they take some time to get back to the candidates. More than GPA, I think lots of medical experience and a strong personal statement can personalize one's application very well.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck to all of you!! We're in this together, and we all know how nerve-racking this process is, Let's keep each other updated!!

Happy Holidays!!

T.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody. I am currently a PA student here at Sophie. Just wanted to give you all a heads up. Nobody will receive any notice of acceptance or rejection until after the deadlines have passed. You will get a letter shortly after you submit your application to let you know that they received it. That letter will tell you if your application is complete or if anything is missing. Try to submit early in case you are missing anything, then you will have enough time to have that taken care of. If you wait until too late & you're missing something, your application will not be considered. Interviews are scheduled for April to May. I was contacted at the end of march for my interview. They won't make any decisions until mid-May. I was contacted mid-May to tell me I was accepted. This is the time frame that they used last year. I'm not sure if they will do the same this year. Only after all students that have been accepted have been notified & those students accept the spot, will the rejection letters be sent out. As long as you meet the pre-reqs, your application will be reviewed. If you have a low GPA (as long as it meets the minimum requirement), make sure that you're able to explain this. It might benefit you to do so in your statement letter. While shadowing helps, it is not required. I shadowed several PAs but it was not discussed at all during my interview. Several of my classmates did not shadow PAs because they didn't have the opportunity to. I think that the best way to stand out from the other applicants is to write a really strong statement letter. Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!!!

gjimi - you're welcome! I applied already as well and hope to get an interview invitation. I have a BS in Clinical Lab science and minor in psychology. On their website, it is noted that interviews are held during the months of April and May. As per the info provided, you'll receive a phone call to schedule a time and date, maybe not until after the deadline. fingers crossed

Hi everybody. I am currently a PA student here at Sophie. Just wanted to give you all a heads up. Nobody will receive any notice of acceptance or rejection until after the deadlines have passed. You will get a letter shortly after you submit your application to let you know that they received it. That letter will tell you if your application is complete or if anything is missing. Try to submit early in case you are missing anything, then you will have enough time to have that taken care of. If you wait until too late & you're missing something, your application will not be considered. Interviews are scheduled for April to May. I was contacted at the end of march for my interview. They won't make any decisions until mid-May. I was contacted mid-May to tell me I was accepted. This is the time frame that they used last year. I'm not sure if they will do the same this year. Only after all students that have been accepted have been notified & those students accept the spot, will the rejection letters be sent out. As long as you meet the pre-reqs, your application will be reviewed. If you have a low GPA (as long as it meets the minimum requirement), make sure that you're able to explain this. It might benefit you to do so in your statement letter. While shadowing helps, it is not required. I shadowed several PAs but it was not discussed at all during my interview. Several of my classmates did not shadow PAs because they didn't have the opportunity to. I think that the best way to stand out from the other applicants is to write a really strong statement letter. Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!!!

Hi there,

Thanks for the great inside infos.

You mentioned about a really long statement letter, but didn't they have limit on that? Like only allowed for 500 words or one page for the PS.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

I think you misread what I wrote. I said you need to write a really strong statement letter, not a really long one. Lol. They do have a limit on what the length is. If you send in a really long one, they may not read it completely or they may reject your application simply because you didn't follow the guidelines.

Hi there,

Thanks for the great inside infos.

You mentioned about a really long statement letter, but didn't they have limit on that? Like only allowed for 500 words or one page for the PS.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

Yes. They accept students from any state. As long as you are willing to relocate in order to attend the program, living in a different state will not keep you from being accepted. In fact, I have several classmates that lived out of state (PA, FL, etc) that moved to NYC to attend the program once they were accepted.

Do they take students from OUT OF STATE as well or just NY residents?

There is no group interview with other applicants. I know some other schools do this, but Sophie does not. The interview will consist of you being interviewed by 3 people. These people can be PA faculty, non-PA professors for the program, alumni or senior classmen. I was personally interviewed by the director of the program, a PA faculty member & a non-PA professor, while some of my fellow classmates were interviewed by 2 PA faculty members & an alumni. They invited me as well as 2 other applicants to interview on the same day. We were seated in a room & were given an essay assignment. There is no right or wrong answer. From what I was told, it is basically to look at your writing ability & to make sure that you are the actual person that wrote your statement letter.

For the interview, I suggest researching everything you can about the profession, the Sophie Davis PA program history, the mission statement (some faculty members are really particular about applicants knowing this), the role a PA performs, what a PA's limitations are & what a dependent practitioner is. Also, find out all you can about organizations that are set up for PA's such as AAPA & its local chapters. Know who they are, what they do & who runs them. I was told that they are going to start asking that of applicants.

Make sure you have an answer for any short comings on your transcripts or application. If you received a low grade, be able to explain it. I went to 2 schools before Sophie. I had low grades in the first one & then ended up graduating at the top of my class with honors from the second one. I was asked about that & had to explain that. I briefly addressed it in my statement & was able to address it fully at my interview. Make sure you are confident in all your answers. Don't sound hesitant.

The major important thing: know how to confidently answer the question "Why should we pick you over the applicants in the waiting room?" You need to sound confident & need to have the answer fly off of your tongue!!

I know it won't be easy, but try to relax & not be nervous. Remember, if you make it to the interview, you're halfway there!!

Good luck!!!

Thank you so much @Yacosta815 for your input. We appreciate your time. Any advice for the interview?? Is it a group interview? is there a student interview?how many faculty members conduct the interviews. Again, Thank you.

T.

Archived