PA schools that require < 500 hrs. HCE

Hi. I am new here and I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere. I am a senior undergrad student full time, and I also do biomedical research as a part time job. I recently (days ago) rejected my previous career aspirations, and now hope to attend PA school. Thus far, I do not have any HCE that is patient care, and I do not have any certifications. I am looking for schools that I can apply to this cycle, and hopefully knockout the HCE requirement between graduation and matriculation.

Thanks for the help!

I hate to be "that guy"; but you're starting to get late in the game, considering that CASPA starts firing out applications in June to programs. Do you have your LORs together? Those can sometimes take months to get from your selected reviewers. Since you just decided to take the PA path, I'd suggest you wait a year. Reason being, you need to find out what a PA is (not just according to that USA today article), shadow PAs in various settings (since you have no HCE), attempt to get even some low level HCE, gather some awesome LORs and write a great narrative. No joke, it takes months to put together a solid PA school application. Good luck on your new path.

Thanks a lot for your respectful yet honest reply. I've gotten bashed on SDN a bunch of times.

I hate to be "that guy"; but you're starting to get late in the game, considering that CASPA starts firing out applications in June to programs. Do you have your LORs together? Those can sometimes take months to get from your selected reviewers. Since you just decided to take the PA path, I'd suggest you wait a year. Reason being, you need to find out what a PA is (not just according to that USA today article), shadow PAs in various settings (since you have no HCE), attempt to get even some low level HCE, gather some awesome LORs and write a great narrative. No joke, it takes months to put together a solid PA school application. Good luck on your new path.

You should apply next year and learn about the greatness of the profession and have a reasonable amount of time to obtain some HCE. It is getting late in the game and CASPA and everything takes time and preparation. If you get an interview you don't want to say that you decided you wanted to be a PA a month ago...that would probably be an auto-reject. The PA profession should not be viewed as a "back-up plan". Good luck on your journey! :)

In a perfect world, if I felt I could get into med school and survive, I'd do it. I mean no disrespect to anyone who is a PA or Pre-PA however. I began college with my heart set on optometry school. Those aspirations got derailed when a professor introduced me to biomedical research, and convinced me that it was a more fulfilling path. The professor also helped me get in to a research program that has provided thousands upon thousands of dollars of financial support for my undergraduate education. My heart was never in research, but I felt obligated to commit to it, due to the financial support. However, the more I learned about the field, the more I realized that it isn't right for me. I returned to my previous aspiration of becoming an optometrist, and one day last week it dawned on me that it isn't what I really want. I've also heard a lot of talk from professionals that the field is not handed in a favorable direction. For me, the challenges of optometry school are just not something I am up for.

That was kind of long winded, but I hope you don't mind. lol

I would start by doing some research and leg work on my own.

http://www.arc-pa.org/acc_programs/ check out each school to see if you meet their specific pre-reqs (courses, GPA, degree and HCE req). Then I would apply from there.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your "previous career aspiration?"

I get it. I wouldn't be so silly in an interview. lol

You should apply next year and learn about the greatness of the profession and have a reasonable amount of time to obtain some HCE. It is getting late in the game and CASPA and everything takes time and preparation. If you get an interview you don't want to say that you decided you wanted to be a PA a month ago...that would probably be an auto-reject. The PA profession should not be viewed as a "back-up plan". Good luck on your journey! :)

If anybody else wants it, I have begun to compile a list on my own. I started with schools in Pennsylvania.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Arcadia University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Physician Assistant Program

Brubaker Hall, Health Science Center

450 South Easton Road

Glenside, PA 19038-3295

(215) 572-2888

Email: dryer@arcadia.edu

Website: http://www.arcadia.edu/academic/default.aspx?id=425

Credentials Awarded: M, MPH

CASPA Participating Program[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

A minimum of 200 hours of patient care experience.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Chatham University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

Woodland Road

Pittsburgh, PA 15232

(412) 365-2988

Email: admissions@chatham.edu

Website: http://www.chatham.edu/departments/healthmgmt/graduate/pa/

Credentials Awarded: M

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

PA Shadowing Experience Requirement – One PA shadowing experience of at least four hours is required for admission to the program. The shadowing experience must be documented in the "Health Care Shadowing" section of the CASPA application. Shadowing a physician or nurse practitioner will not satisfy this requirement.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]King's College[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Department of Physician Assistant Studies

133 North River Street

Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711

(570) 208-5858

(888) KINGS-PA

Email: jamesanderson@kings.edu

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Candidates must complete 500 clinical hours of health care experience by the CASPA application deadline. The hours may be voluntary or paid. Of these 500 hours, a minimum of 300 must be direct patient care while the remainder can be indirect. In addition, a minimum of 20 hours must be spent shadowing a Physician Assistant. Please read the document fully describing clinical hour requirements.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

432 Railroad Street

Lock Haven, PA 17745

(570) 484-2929

Email: asmith7@lhup.edu

Credentials Awarded: C, M

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Health care experience, while beneficial, is not a requirement for admission.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Misericordia University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Misericordia University Physician Assistant Program

Physician Assistant Program

301 Lake Street

Dallas, PA 18612

(570) 674-3047

Email: dpasquini@misericordia.edu

Website: http://www.misericordia.edu/misericordia_pg.cfm?subcat_id=108&page_id=990

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Submission of a letter of recommendation from a healthcare provider (MD, DO, PA, or NP)

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]*Department of Physician Assistant Studies

4190 City Avenue, Rowland Hall

Philadelphia, PA 19131

(215) 871-6772

(800) 999-6998

Email: PAadmissions@pcom.edu

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Have documented through CASPA 200 hours of direct patient contact experience in volunteerism or employment in the health care industry.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Philadelphia University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]*Physician Assistant Studies Program

4201 Henry Avenue

Philadelphia, PA 19144

(215) 951-2908

Email: paprogram@philau.edu

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

At least 3-6 months/200 hours patient care experience- health care or human service, paid or volunteer must be completed and documented on the application. This experience should be hands on patient care activities.

Any experience in which you participate in, or observe, the hands-on care of sick people will count toward our requirement. Some applicants have backgrounds in such areas as nursing, nursing assistant, medical assistant, EMT, paramedic, PA shadowing, and volunteer experiences.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Saint Francis University - Pennsylvania[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Master of Physician Assistant Sciences - Graduate Admit

117 Evergreen Drive

Loretto, PA 15940-0600

(814) 472-3020

Email: pa@francis.edu

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Health care experience not required, but considered in review of your application material

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Salus University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

8360 Old York Road

Elkins Park, PA 19027

(215) 780-1515

(800) 824-6262

Email: admissions@salus.edu

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Acquire a minimum of 100 hours of direct patient care experience within a health care related field (may be volunteer and/or employment).

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Seton Hill University[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]*Physician Assistant Program

One Seton Hill Drive

Greensburg, PA 15601

(724) 830-1097

Email: france@setonhill.edu

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Prior to beginning study in the Master of Science in Physician Assistant program at Seton Hill, all prospective students must:

• have a minimum of 300 hours of health care experience, and
  • have completed three physician assistant shadowing experiences in different medical or surgical specialties. (Physician Assistant Shadow Online is a free resource that helps students find physician assistants to shadow, and physician assistants to find students to mentor, nation-wide.)

I finished up New York as well.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Daemen College

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

4380 Main Street

Amherst, NY 14226-3592

(716) 839-8563

Email: physician_assistant@daemen.edu

CASPA Participating Program

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

120 hours of direct patient contact experience

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Hofstra University

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Physician Assistant Studies Program

113 Monroe Lecture Center

127 Hofstra University

Hempstead, NY 11549-1270

(516) 463-4074

Email: paprogram@hofstra.edu

Credentials Awarded: B, M combined

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The program requires applicants to have from 50-100 documented hours of healthcare experience. Many types of experience will qualify, and the experience ideally includes direct observation of a practicing physician assistant ("Shadowing"). The experience may be paid employment, such as working as a paramedic or EKG technician. The experience may be as a volunteer in a hospital or other healthcare facility. Supporting documentation should be on letterhead from an appropriate source and must certify the hours completed.

Applicants who have accumulated more than the minimum hours of experience will have a stronger application, but the quality of the experience is also important. Shadowing a PA in clinical practice is one of the best ways to understand the physician assistant role in modern healthcare systems.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]New York Institute of Technology

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]*Physician Assistant Program

Riland Center, Suite 352

Northern Boulevard, PO Box 8000

Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000

(516) 686-3881

Email: pa@nyit.edu

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

a minimum of 100 hours of verifiable direct patient care experience in the U.S. healthcare system

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Pace University – Lenox Hill Hospital

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

163 William Street, 5th Floor

New York, NY 10038

(212) 618-6050

Email: paprogram@pace.edu

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Documented 200 hours of volunteer or job related health care experience

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education at the City College of New York/Harlem Hospital Cent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

160 Convent Avenue

Harris Hall, Room 15

New York, NY 10031

(212) 650-7745

Email: paprog@ccny.cuny.edu

Credentials Awarded: C, B

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Volunteer/Shadowing hours are not required.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]State University of New York Downstate Medical Center

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

450 Clarkson Avenue, Box 1222

Brooklyn, NY 11203

(718) 270-2324/5

Email: admissions@downstate.edu

Credentials Awarded: B

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

1. A minimum of 225 hours of health-related experience - Work experience as a nurse, nurse's aide, corpsman, medical laboratory technologist, respiratory therapist, emergency medical technician, counselor in health care setting or direct patient care experience obtained as a result of clinical training in the health professions, volunteer direct patient care experiences and shadowing may also be used towards meeting this requirement - Non-clinical experiences completed in a hospital setting such as candy stripers or any other such experiences cannot be applied towards meeting the requirement for the minimum health-related experience.

2. A minimum of 150 hours non-clinical volunteer work (Community Service). Please visit these and other applicable sites to acquire socially responsive non-clinical volunteer hours, if needed:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Touro College Manhattan

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

School of Health Sciences

27-33 West 23rd Street

New York, NY 10010

(212) 463-0400

Email: ngraff@touro.edu

Credentials Awarded: B, M

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

· Documentation of a minimum of 200 hours of direct patient contact health care experience, either volunteer or paid (patient contact form can be found in the Supplemental Application).

· Documentation of a minimum of 20 hours "shadowing" a physician assistant (shadowing form can be found in the Supplemental Application).

Okay, this should be the last of what I've found for schools that require little or no patient care experience. I hope this will help someone else.

University of Alabama at Birmingham

University of South Alabama

Arizona School of Health Sciences

Midwestern University Glendale

Harding University

Samuel Merritt University

Touro University California

University of Southern California

Western University of Health Sciences

University of Colorado

Yale University School of Medicine

Barry University

Keiser University

Miami Dade College

Nova Southeastern University Fort Lauderdale

Nova Southeastern Univ Jacksonville

Nova Southeastern University Orlando

Nova Southeastern University Southwest Florida

South University Tampa

University of Florida

Barry University - St Petersburg

Georgia Health Sciences University

Georgia Health Sciences University

South University

Idaho State University Meridian

Idaho State University Pocatello

Malcolm X College

Midwestern University Downers Grove

Northwestern University

Rosalind Franklin University

Indiana State University

University of Saint Francis

Wichita State University

University of the Cumberlands

Louisiana State University

Our Lady Of The Lake College

Anne Arundel Community College

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Bos

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Wor

Northeastern University

Central Michigan University

Augsburg College

Mississippi College

Missouri State University

University of Nebraska

Touro University Nevada

Franklin Pierce University

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Manch

New Mexico - University of New Mexico

New York - CCNY Medical School at Harlem Hospital

New York - Cornell University

New York - D'youville

New York - New York Institute of Technology

New York - Rochester Institute of Technology

New York - St John's University

New York - Wagner College

New York- Hofstra University

Ohio - Cuyahoga Community College

Ohio - Kettering College of Medical Arts

Ohio - Marietta College

Ohio - Mount Union College

Ohio - University of Toledo

Oklahoma - University of Oklahoma - Oklahoma City

Oklahoma - University of Oklahoma - Tulsa

Pennsylvania - Duquesne University

Pennsylvania - Gannon University

Pennsylvania - Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania - Saint Francis University

Misericordia University

South Carolina - Medical University of South Carolina

South Dakota - University of South Dakota

Tennessee - Bethel University

Tennessee - Lincoln Memorial University Debusk College of Osteopathic Medic

Tennessee - South College

Christian Brothers University

Texas - Baylor College of Medicine

Texas - University of North Texas Health Science Center

Texas - University of Texas - Pan American

Texas - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio

Texas - University of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston

Texas - University of Texas Southwestern

Virginia - Eastern Virginia Medical School

Virginia - Shenandoah University

West Virginia - Alderson Broaddus College

University of Charleston

West Liberty University

Wisconsin - University of Wisconsin - La Crosse

University of Wisconsin - Madison

Washington D.C. - Howard University

How do you know that PA school is right for you? Your now on your 3rd career track and I guess I'm just wondering about any experience or background with following or talking with other PA's. I understand in this world of "I need everything now" mentality that the thought of waiting on something is almost unheard of, but can yield some amazing results by just postponing our goals for a short amount of time. A little background on myself I guess is in order. 19 years as an ER nurse exposed me to many different mid level providers and these encounters directly influenced my decision to pursue PA school. When I decided it was what I wanted to do I then formulated a plan to give me the best chance to succeed which was take 2 years to prepare for school for the financial burden of not working during school. My HCE and edu requirements were already satisfied with the exception of 2 science classes that I repeated because I had a C in each. Take the time to get your house in order before trying to jump into something that may or may not be a good fit for you. Shadow several PA's and get a clear understanding of what it is that we do and the expectations of the profession. Remember, min HCE requirements are only a suggestion, my school min HCE was 2000 hours and I think my class had 8000 hour average so don't assume that the min HCE will get you in. Good luck in your goals.

Guest carolanimal
In a perfect world, if I felt I could get into med school and survive, I'd do it. I mean no disrespect to anyone who is a PA or Pre-PA however. I began college with my heart set on optometry school. Those aspirations got derailed when a professor introduced me to biomedical research, and convinced me that it was a more fulfilling path. The professor also helped me get in to a research program that has provided thousands upon thousands of dollars of financial support for my undergraduate education. My heart was never in research, but I felt obligated to commit to it, due to the financial support. However, the more I learned about the field, the more I realized that it isn't right for me. I returned to my previous aspiration of becoming an optometrist, and one day last week it dawned on me that it isn't what I really want. I've also heard a lot of talk from professionals that the field is not handed in a favorable direction. For me, the challenges of optometry school are just not something I am up for.

That was kind of long winded, but I hope you don't mind. lol

So out of the blue you just thought..."Oh I'll just apply to PA school at the last minute...no biggie." Right?

The people at SDN are right to give you a hard time. You are not ready to apply this year and maybe not for awhile until you do some serious self-examination over what you want to do as a career. You need to shadow a few different professions it sounds like.

So out of the blue you just thought..."Oh I'll just apply to PA school at the last minute...no biggie." Right?

The people at SDN are right to give you a hard time. You are not ready to apply this year and maybe not for awhile until you do some serious self-examination over what you want to do as a career. You need to shadow a few different professions it sounds like.

I'd also question why you think you're not up to the challenge of optometry school, but would be up to the challenge of PA School!? PA school is hard. Period. There are some aspects of it that are harder than med school (pacing) and some that are easier (less depth on physiology and general sciences), but I have a hard time believing it is easier that optometry school. Just a perspective of a current PA Student.

As a PA, husband to an Optometrist and brother-in-law to a few others I'd say I have a pretty unique perspective here. If you're vacillating between these two professions, you're a fool. They are not alike, offer little in practice similarity across the spectrum and are Didactically not too similar. There is no equivalent to Optics in PA school. IMHO optometry school is a different animal. Assuming a student can do either is a mistake.

I'll tell you this, mark my words, if you're heart isn't in it, don't do it. You'll be sorry.

@crystaltide RE: Rosalind Franklin

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Degreeprograms/PhysicianAssistant/appNeeds.aspx

• Prior direct patient-care related medical experience and/or shadowing PAs in clinical practice is strongly recommended.
  • Coming into the program, successful applicants typically have at least 1,200 hours of direct patient contact and PA shadowing experience.

@crystaltide RE: Northeastern

http://www.northeastern.edu/bouve/pa/prerequisites.html

evidence of significant direct hands-on patient care experience is required in order for applicants to have a basic understanding of and comfort with patient care as well as a minimum level of clinical maturity. Strongest preference will be given to applicants who have approximately 2,000 hours of hands-on patient care experience prior to applying to the program. Applicants with less than 2,000 hours may also be given consideration depending upon the strength of their entire application.

So besides being bashed on SDN, what has steered you away from med school? For what it's worth, the posters of SDN live to bash. They would bash Ghandi himself if he asked a question there.

I'd never get in. Even if I did, it'd be lengthy and during that time I'd have to deal with being in the competitive environment that is med school. It was never a realistic consideration or goal for me.

I'd also question why you think you're not up to the challenge of optometry school, but would be up to the challenge of PA School!? PA school is hard. Period. There are some aspects of it that are harder than med school (pacing) and some that are easier (less depth on physiology and general sciences), but I have a hard time believing it is easier that optometry school. Just a perspective of a current PA Student.

The optometrists I've shadowed told me that optometry school is harder than med school. But that's besides the point. I never said that PA school is more or less challenging than optometry school. Optometry school is not a challenge that I'm up for, that's it.

Archived