PA- Owned Practice Blog

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I only come to the forum about once or twice a week and unless this thread is at the top, I don't click on it. So if you wanted to be added to the blog subscriber, it would be best to send me a PM through the forum, with your e-mail and a little about yourself. Many of the request I've received are from people who just joined the forum and whose profile is empty. I've been burnt in the past when patients come into my office holding a copy of this forum and they ask me about things I've said here. So this is a private blog where I can speak candidally, but I need to know a little about you. I'm so inclined to add PA-wannabees because I think there is more they should be focusing on than owning their own practice. It took me 29 years to get to this point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On Friday, my SP and myself, signed a contract with Group Health. This was the climax of a 2 1/2 year battle with them. They are the number 1 insurer in my region. I had over 500 GH patients in my prior practice. Once I went out on my own, they refused to do business with me. This started this long battle with them, on which we spent many, many hours. We circled our wagons and had to regroup several times after major defeats with them including trips to their headquarters. I gave up several times . . . until a GH subscriber would call and beg me to try again.

After so many disappointments, I am hesitant to count my chickens before they hatch. They still have to sign the contracts and mail them back and who knows what could happen before that. But I do hear chirping and the egg shells are starting to crack.

If this does go through, it will almost guarantee the future success of our business and GH subscribers finally having access to the headache care they deserve.

Congratulations! You and your patients deserve this. Thanks for standing strong and representing the PA profession. This could be a pivotal case and open up the floodgates of PA practices and PAs who will be recognized by insurance companies.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I am interested in learning about starting a PA owned practice. I am a new grad and literally have no idea where to begin, but it is something I would love to learn about and possibly pursue in the future. How do I learn more??

Since you are young, at least young in your career, I suggest night school and an MBA, especially if you can find a program with a health care admin program.  I don't have such, but it would have been handy.  Learn about billing, accounting, excel spread sheets, business tax laws and all you can. Then study the market very, very carefully. I had a PA mentor who was invaluable. I've offered anyone who is serious and close to the decision point to come and spend a few days with me.  I even have a cabin that you could use  . . . as soon as I kick my son's band out (they are recording there . . . not living there).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived