2022-2023 Application Cycle- OHSU

54 minutes ago, PAdreamn said:

Wait how are applicants with 3.7+ GPAs getting rejected with no interview? Isn't that better than the average DO GPA matriculant?

Some schools don’t just pick applicants based on how well they’ve done in school alone. I’d argue most look at the type of HCE/PCE, life experience, and of course the personal statements/essays. So many variables involved! I do know a few schools that do look at GPA and academic history with greater emphasis in regards to their selection process. 

Edited by BryMcfly
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 8:21 AM, bartowski77 said:

Received interview invite 8/1!

Submitted 5/24 and confirmed 5/25

anyone get their interview confirmation date yet? They said 5 business days but hoping they send it out sooner 

Hey! I got an interview invite as well!! Congrats! Still waiting to hear for the definitive date. I submitted my survey like 18 minutes after receiving the email. Fingers crossed we both receive our top choice interview slots! 

Brian

• Like 2

For me as an older applicant, I am exceedingly grateful many schools look at us in a holistic way, so as to see academic success in context of a person's experiences and personality. I agree that no single attribute is viewed in a vacuum, but there are indeed programs that rely more heavily on the numbers to make their admissions decisions. And OHSU is not one of those schools. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, NDJR7 said:

For me as an older applicant, I am exceedingly grateful many schools look at us in a holistic way, so as to see academic success in context of a person's experiences and personality. I agree that no single attribute is viewed in a vacuum, but there are indeed programs that rely more heavily on the numbers to make their admissions decisions. And OHSU is not one of those schools. 

I'm right here with you. Older applicant with only decent grades but lots of very relevant experience! I think this really speaks to the character of a school to look at applicants holistically and not just as numbers. It's more work for the staff, but it shows they really care about the effect they're having on our medical system as a whole. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonesNtoBPA said:

I'm right here with you. Older applicant with only decent grades but lots of very relevant experience! I think this really speaks to the character of a school to look at applicants holistically and not just as numbers. It's more work for the staff, but it shows they really care about the effect they're having on our medical system as a whole. 

Heck yeah! High five to a fellow older applicant! Totally agree with you.

Best of luck to you! I hope we both get interviews coming up. When did you apply?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JonesNtoBPA said:

Early June I believe. Had to finish up a class in May and then applied as soon as I could

That's great! It must feel so great to have gotten that last class done and the app submitted. I am finishing up my last prereq right now.  

• Like 1