Eastern Virginia Medical School Interviews 2022

On 6/18/2022 at 12:40 AM, SeleniaC said:

Hi Joanne, 

My name is Selenia and I'm also from LA! 😃 Super excited but nervous about my flight being cancelled... Did you have an in person interview? Also, would love to know how you adjusted to Virginia?

Thank you so much for sharing! Can't wait to mingle in July😁  

Hi Selenia,

I'm super super excited that you're from LA. Can't wait to meet you in July and find out more about you! As for your flight, I think you should be okay since it's no longer winter. 🤞 If you end up starting in January though, I definitely recommend catching a flight a week or so in advance. 

Interviews last year were all virtual so I did not. I found that doing mock interviews beforehand helped prepare me but honestly just make sure to be yourself! Let that personality shine through. 😄 To answer your last question, I think I've adjusted to Virginia well. I miss my family and friends back home but the people in my cohort have really become like family and I'm so grateful to have them in my life. 

Let me know if you have anymore questions! Hope to see you the night before the interviews get started. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone!  Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

My name is Gigi Sun I am from Richmond, VA. I also have strong ties to the Hampton Roads area. I can't wait to be one step closer to calling it home. I am beyond excited to be joining everyone on interview day and I am so glad I found this forum.This is my first time interviewing in person, so I feel very nervous, but I am just trying to gather advice, practice talking about my experiences, and hoping for the best.

I do have some questions if someone can help me answer: Is it appropriate to bring a notepad to take notes during some of the presentations? Is there a schedule for when lunch is during interview day? Unrelated, but what is your favorite memory so far at EVMSl?

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 2:05 PM, GigiSun said:

Hi everyone!  Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

My name is Gigi Sun I am from Richmond, VA. I also have strong ties to the Hampton Roads area. I can't wait to be one step closer to calling it home. I am beyond excited to be joining everyone on interview day and I am so glad I found this forum.This is my first time interviewing in person, so I feel very nervous, but I am just trying to gather advice, practice talking about my experiences, and hoping for the best.

I do have some questions if someone can help me answer: Is it appropriate to bring a notepad to take notes during some of the presentations? Is there a schedule for when lunch is during interview day? Unrelated, but what is your favorite memory so far at EVMSl?

Thank you!

Hi GiGi, 

You have just the right approach to preparing for interviews!

Feel free to bring a notepad if you'd like. The main events of the day will be a welcoming meeting, your group interview, individual interview, a campus tour, a student panel Q&A, and a financial aid Q&A. The order will change depending on which group you are in, but lunch for everyone will be from 12-1. More details about the entire interview day and related events will be sent out soon via email! You can pack a lunch (refrigerators and microwaves are available), purchase a lunch from a food truck that will be present on campus, or quickly venture off-campus to grab your meal. 

As far as my favorite memory..... I have many, but a lot of them have taken place in the outside common area of campus. I'll share about one from last semester! Student affairs organized an event for us one afternoon to take a break from studying and enjoy Doumar's ice cream (a local favorite!) and pet the service dogs from the children's hospital across the street. We've quickly learned in PA school that taking study breaks are ESSENTIAL. I have made so many great memories taking study breaks with my classmates. We'll eat lunch outside, go for a walk, or just sit to recharge in the sun and fresh air for a bit. It is truly a blessing to learn along side my classmates who bring such incredible life experiences with them. I have really enjoyed getting to know about my classmates on a personal level outside from the classroom. 

• Like 5

On 6/28/2022 at 4:05 PM, AmandaPeroe said:

Hi GiGi, 

You have just the right approach to preparing for interviews!

Feel free to bring a notepad if you'd like. The main events of the day will be a welcoming meeting, your group interview, individual interview, a campus tour, a student panel Q&A, and a financial aid Q&A. The order will change depending on which group you are in, but lunch for everyone will be from 12-1. More details about the entire interview day and related events will be sent out soon via email! You can pack a lunch (refrigerators and microwaves are available), purchase a lunch from a food truck that will be present on campus, or quickly venture off-campus to grab your meal. 

As far as my favorite memory..... I have many, but a lot of them have taken place in the outside common area of campus. I'll share about one from last semester! Student affairs organized an event for us one afternoon to take a break from studying and enjoy Doumar's ice cream (a local favorite!) and pet the service dogs from the children's hospital across the street. We've quickly learned in PA school that taking study breaks are ESSENTIAL. I have made so many great memories taking study breaks with my classmates. We'll eat lunch outside, go for a walk, or just sit to recharge in the sun and fresh air for a bit. It is truly a blessing to learn along side my classmates who bring such incredible life experiences with them. I have really enjoyed getting to know about my classmates on a personal level outside from the classroom. 

Hey Gigi,

Congrat's on your interview. My favorite memory is walking into orientation day to get my white coat and EVMS swag! It was a very proud moment that I had worked so hard for. Cherish all those precious moments!

Jen

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hondo said:

How soon after your interview did you hear back from the school? I know their page says 2 weeks after the final interview session.

If you don’t get an acceptance, do you know right away or at the end of the application cycle?

Hi! I found out about a week later, and I have heard from some of my classmates that it took up to two weeks for them to hear back. Good question about not receiving an acceptance - I can find out! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GigiSun said:

Hi Katie! I haven't received an email from you. 😞 Did you need my email address?

Hey Gigi,

I thought at first I had not received the email either, but I went to check my junk mail and found it there. Its an email from Erin L. Suit and titled Important EVMS Pa Pre-Interview Information. Hopefully that helps you find it.

Thank you Katie and Mentorship Committee for setting up the upcoming events for us 🙂, looking forward to getting to know everyone and the upcoming interviews.

Edited by szs153
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, szs153 said:

Hey Gigi,

I thought at first I had not received the email either, but I went to check my junk mail and found it there. Its an email from Erin L. Suit and titled Important EVMS Pa Pre-Interview Information. Hopefully that helps you find it.

Thank you Katie and Mentorship Committee for setting up the upcoming events for us 🙂, looking forward to getting to know everyone and the upcoming interviews.

Thanks for clearing that up! Gigi, check your spam and if it's not there then I'll reach out to Erin. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ponds said:

Booked my hotel for the 14th bc my interview is the 15th. I plan on attending the event the night of the 14th after I check in and get settled. So excited to meet everyone and be on campus to interview!

Hi, 
I also booked my hotel on the 14th for my interview on the 15th. If you’d like to meet up at some point met me know! I will be flying in solo. 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ponds said:

Booked my hotel for the 14th bc my interview is the 15th. I plan on attending the event the night of the 14th after I check in and get settled. So excited to meet everyone and be on campus to interview!

32 minutes ago, Breezy624 said:

Hi, 
I also booked my hotel on the 14th for my interview on the 15th. If you’d like to meet up at some point met me know! I will be flying in solo. 🙂

I too am booked for the 14th for my interview the 15th. Will be attending the event as well if yall wanna meet before that!

• Like 3

Hi all! My name is Megan and I just received my invitation to interview today! I am an applicant of the early assurance program through William and Mary, so if accepted, I’ll start PA school in 2024. Im super nervous about interviewing as a younger student and I’m wondering if there’s anyone else here who’s in the same boat? 

Edited by mncomar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mncomar said:

Hi all! My name is Megan and I just received my invitation to interview today! I am an applicant of the early assurance program through William and Mary, so if accepted, I’ll start PA school in 2024. Im super nervous about interviewing as a younger student and I’m wondering if there’s anyone else here who’s in the same boat? 

Hey Megan,

Congratulations on your interview for your early assurance program. Just remember to be yourself. Even though you may be a younger student, you have something to offer the program and profession that only YOU have. You are unique and EVMS loves to embrace individuality!

- Jen

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ponds said:

Had a question for the PA-S:

I saw the general format of the interview day on the EVMS website about the interview process.

Do we get an itinerary emailed to us before, or given to us the day of? Or maybe it was sent and I lost that email.

Thanks

Hi! Last year we received an email from Erin Suit regarding our schedules one week before our Interview. You'll also receive a packet when you check in for your Interview 🙂

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 11:04 AM, katiegaskin said:

If you received an interview, I've sent you all an email with two surveys to complete. Please fill those two surveys out plus the survey regarding preordering lunch from Erin Suit whenever you have a minute! Thank you to those who have already filled it out 🙂 

On 7/2/2022 at 12:45 PM, szs153 said:

Hey Gigi,

Thank you Katie for posted this here I would have never known!  It was in my span like Gigi!  Thank you Gigi for sharing where you found it!

I can't wait to meet everyone!

• Like 3

Hello everyone!  I am Ashley and was born and raised in Va Beach and currently live in Portsmouth.  I am a Va Tech graduate and currently working at Atlantic Orthopedics.  I am very excited for the next step in the EVMS process and to meet all of you.  There have been several great questions already in this thread.  Like many others who have posted, I am nervous about the interviews as well.  Do you have any tips that helped you on the day of your interview calm your nerves and let your true self shine? Is there anything you would have done differently when you interviewed?

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

I am super excited to be interviewing at this school. I've seen great things about it online so I can't wait to see the campus in person. This will be my first time doing an interview for a PA program. From what I understand, guys normally wear full suits. I know this is a whole day event with a campus tour. Is it expected to wear our suits the entire day? Is there normally time to go back to the hotel and change? 

Jehanzeb Bukhari 

On 7/5/2022 at 2:03 PM, FooturePA said:

I too am booked for the 14th for my interview the 15th. Will be attending the event as well if yall wanna meet before that!

I'm also booked for the 14th, with interview on the 15th. Can't wait to meet you all. I will also be attending the event on the 14th and would definitely be up for meeting as well. I'm not leaving until the 17th so I'd be free all day on the 16th as well!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PaulRN said:

I'm also booked for the 14th, with interview on the 15th. Can't wait to meet you all. I will also be attending the event on the 14th and would definitely be up for meeting as well. I'm not leaving until the 17th so I'd be free all day on the 16th as well!

I wont be leaving until the afternoon of the 16th so definitely down to hangout either after interviews on the 15th or morning of the 16th.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jehanzeb said:

Hi everyone,

I am super excited to be interviewing at this school. I've seen great things about it online so I can't wait to see the campus in person. This will be my first time doing an interview for a PA program. From what I understand, guys normally wear full suits. I know this is a whole day event with a campus tour. Is it expected to wear our suits the entire day? Is there normally time to go back to the hotel and change? 

Jehanzeb Bukhari 

Hey Jehanzeb!

So glad to hear how excited you are to interview here at EVMS! Professional business attire is expected for the day of interview. Usually for men, that means a full suit - but at least dress pants, a nice shirt, and tie! While you will have a break for lunch and small breaks between your interviews, I would prepare to stay on campus the entire time. Also, the "business professional" attire is expected for the whole day! Hope this helps.

Cam

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaynaMarie said:

PA-S,

As it pertains to Simulation Patients - could you share how frequently you work with SPs in the lab?  Is it only for high stakes exams?  Or do you get to practice before high stake exams?  How often are you in the Simulation Lab and what are you working on in the lab?  When does this start?  

Thanks in advance!

Hey Dayna!

The Standardized Patients are such a joy to work with and really elevate our learning experience. We are so lucky to have them! You won't start working with the SPs until 2nd semester, and you'll continue to work with them throughout 3rd and 4th semester until your clinical rotations start. Most of your time with them will be practice, and you get plenty of it before each exam! We currently work with SPs 2 to 3 times a week. And you'll learn different things with them each semester, such as interview skills and exam techniques, in a systematic way so that you first get a foundation and then add to it as you go.

Cam

• Like 6