Eastern Virginia Medical School Interviews 2022

Hi everyone! My name is Katie and I am the Head of Mentorship Committee for the Class of 2024. I wanted to introduce myself and let you all know that I am here to help you and answer questions as best as I can. There are seven other members of Mentorship Committee that you might see on here as well who are more than happy to answer questions, too.

Congratulations to those who have received an interview invitation! We can't wait to meet you all in person!

• Like 6

Hi everyone! My name is Vy and I'm also part of the EVMS MPA '24 Mentorship Committee. I'm from Richmond, VA and a graduate from UVA. Please feel free to reach out to me or to any of the other committee members if you have any questions! We're more than happy to help as best we can. 

Huge, huge congratulations to everyone who received an interview invite! What an amazing accomplishment. To those who haven't received one yet -- don't give up hope yet! Seats can still open up if people decline their invites. Can't wait to see and meet everyone in July!

• Like 5

Hey hey hey 😬!!! My name is Ebony and I am part of the mentorship committee, as well. Congrats to everyone who was invited to interview ! It is a HUGE accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself ! I remember I was on this board, this time last year, and it was so exciting/nerve wrecking but still an amazing resource ! Lean on each other throughout the process! Cant wait to meet you in July ! 

We are here to help answer questions so feel free to reach out ! 

❤️ Ebony

• Like 5

Hey y'all! I'm Amanda and I'm also a part of mentorship committee. I'd like to extend a huge congratulations to everyone who has received an interview invite! That is truly an accomplishment to be celebrated! We are here to support you through this process and answer any questions as best we can. 

I can't wait to meet you all in July! 

• Like 5

Hi, my name is Salma. Thank you all for starting this thread. I am a first time applicant and am so excited and nervous about upcoming interviews. I know that this year EVMS has returned to the in person interviews and brought back the group interviews. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for ways to best prepare for the interviews. Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

• Like 4

Hello everyone, my name is Alyssa McGowan and I am a second-time applicant. Thank you so much Mentorship Committee members for starting this thread and taking the time to answer any questions! 

I don’t have any questions currently but I do look forward to meeting you all on the July 14th interview date! I am so excited and grateful to be interviewing this cycle. Thanks again! 

• Like 4

Hi Salma!

While we are not able to share about the interview specifics, I can tell you that your interview is an opportunity to show who you are! Come prepared just like any job interview and be yourself! Our faculty wants to know who you are and want kind of PA you'll be. 

Another piece of advice I can give is to create a personal "answer bank" that you could use towards multiple different questions. I came up with different scenarios from my clinical experience, like situations that demonstrate medical experience, showing empathy, or how you handle adversity or difficult patients. Things like that! 

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Like 4

Hi everyone, 

my name is Brianna and I am an occupational therapist making the transition to become a PA. I am also a first time applicant and I just wanted to say thank you for creating this thread to answer questions! I would like to know what the student life is like(activities and things to do around the area)? Also, how is the school/life balance for you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katiegaskin said:

Hi Salma!

While we are not able to share about the interview specifics, I can tell you that your interview is an opportunity to show who you are! Come prepared just like any job interview and be yourself! Our faculty wants to know who you are and want kind of PA you'll be. 

Another piece of advice I can give is to create a personal "answer bank" that you could use towards multiple different questions. I came up with different scenarios from my clinical experience, like situations that demonstrate medical experience, showing empathy, or how you handle adversity or difficult patients. Things like that! 

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. Look forward to meeting everyone July 14th.

Edited by szs153

6 hours ago, Jennaorelski said:

Hi guys! Thanks for making this thread! I was just wondering what a typical week of an EVMS student looks like? Are you in classes 8-5 Monday- Friday? What’s the typical schedule of classes? 

I’m beyond excited for my interview! 

Hi there! 

The schedule first semester is pretty consistent. You will have class 5 days a week, and first semester was typically 10am-3pm (for the most part). There are certain classes that will require you to stay later until ~5pm (like Anatomy lab), but lab only happens once a week. Most people choose to get to campus a few hours early before class and/or stay late after class for a few hours to get some extra studying in. 

The "biggest" classes first semester are Pathophysiology and Anatomy Lecture + Lab. You will spend a LOT of time studying, but it's not all bad! Remember that we're in PA school to learn these subjects and it's all relevant for our future patients 🙂 Looking forward to meeting you in July!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Breezy624 said:

Hi everyone, 

my name is Brianna and I am an occupational therapist making the transition to become a PA. I am also a first time applicant and I just wanted to say thank you for creating this thread to answer questions! I would like to know what the student life is like(activities and things to do around the area)? Also, how is the school/life balance for you?

Hi Brianna, 

That's a great question. The city of Norfolk has a lot of personality and lots to explore! I enjoy going on runs along the Elizabeth River Trail, trying out new locally-owned restaurants, and trekking over to the beach when my schedule allows. Even though PA school is extremely rigorous, maintaining a healthy school/life balance is possible. First semester, our program dedicated an entire module in our "Introduction to the PA Profession" course to equip us with strategies to succeed and help us to refine key skills like time management and stress management. Beginning PA school is a choice that definitely requires some sacrifices along the way (like missing out-of-town weddings or family trips), but it is an investment into your future. Let me encourage you that you will have time for the things that are most important to you! For me, that's cooking yummy dinners, going on runs, spending time with my family, and going to church. Oh, and sleep! I make sure to stay organized and stick to a schedule to ensure that I get my sleep. 🙂

• Like 5

3 hours ago, eetdawson said:

Hi there! 

The schedule first semester is pretty consistent. You will have class 5 days a week, and first semester was typically 10am-3pm (for the most part). There are certain classes that will require you to stay later until ~5pm (like Anatomy lab), but lab only happens once a week. Most people choose to get to campus a few hours early before class and/or stay late after class for a few hours to get some extra studying in. 

The "biggest" classes first semester are Pathophysiology and Anatomy Lecture + Lab. You will spend a LOT of time studying, but it's not all bad! Remember that we're in PA school to learn these subjects and it's all relevant for our future patients 🙂 Looking forward to meeting you in July!

Thank you so much! I’m glad the classes are consistent, which definitely would be nice to have study time! Those classes sound awesome! Thank you again!

• Like 1

I’m actually one of the interviewees in July! Thank you for this, and can’t wait to meet you all then!

I was wondering what is the connection between the classes like? Are there like mentor/mentee big brother/sister things to help guide through PA school? And other ways to support students that you didn’t know of before EVMS and appreciate now? 

also what clubs/activities, if any, are available to students? either explore something interesting/new to me, or give back to the community in a special way being an EVMS PA student. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AmandaPeroe said:

Hi Brianna, 

That's a great question. The city of Norfolk has a lot of personality and lots to explore! I enjoy going on runs along the Elizabeth River Trail, trying out new locally-owned restaurants, and trekking over to the beach when my schedule allows. Even though PA school is extremely rigorous, maintaining a healthy school/life balance is possible. First semester, our program dedicated an entire module in our "Introduction to the PA Profession" course to equip us with strategies to succeed and help us to refine key skills like time management and stress management. Beginning PA school is a choice that definitely requires some sacrifices along the way (like missing out-of-town weddings or family trips), but it is an investment into your future. Let me encourage you that you will have time for the things that are most important to you! For me, that's cooking yummy dinners, going on runs, spending time with my family, and going to church. Oh, and sleep! I make sure to stay organized and stick to a schedule to ensure that I get my sleep. 🙂

That is awesome! I especially love that there is a class dedicated to helping students succeed. Do you have any restaurants/places that you recommend? I plan on trying some out when I come to visit for my interview and doing some sightseeing. 

Hi everyone! My name is Joanne and I am also on the class of 2024 mentorship committee. 😀 I made the move from Los Angeles, CA to Norfolk for this program and, despite being a west coast girl at heart, I am so glad that I chose EVMS. If anyone has any questions about coming from out-of-state or any questions about the area or program in general, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Also, huge congratulations to those of you who received an interview! You are absolutely killing it!!! Looking forward to meeting you all in July. 🥳

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, joanne101095 said:

Hi everyone! My name is Joanne and I am also on the class of 2024 mentorship committee. 😀 I made the move from Los Angeles, CA to Norfolk for this program and, despite being a west coast girl at heart, I am so glad that I chose EVMS. If anyone has any questions about coming from out-of-state or any questions about the area or program in general, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Also, huge congratulations to those of you who received an interview! You are absolutely killing it!!! Looking forward to meeting you all in July. 🥳

Hi Joanne! Looking forward to meeting you as well. I am from NY and so I wanted to know how the move was for you? Was it easy to find an apartment in the area and what resources did you utilize?

• Like 2

Hey there! Thank you again for starting this! Are any of you parents ? I have a almost 2 yr old and I’m curious to how you are able to balance both being a full time student and parent. What do you do if your kid is sick ? Daycare is closed but school is not? 

I feel like i have a good plan in place but any extra tips are helpful! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, eetdawson said:

Hi there! 

So glad to hear your experiences with the first term.  Is the Anatomy Lab available outside class hours?

1 hour ago, joanne101095 said:

If i get in, I’ll be moving from Washington state!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ponds said:

I’m actually one of the interviewees in July! Thank you for this, and can’t wait to meet you all then!

I was wondering what is the connection between the classes like? Are there like mentor/mentee big brother/sister things to help guide through PA school? And other ways to support students that you didn’t know of before EVMS and appreciate now? 

also what clubs/activities, if any, are available to students? either explore something interesting/new to me, or give back to the community in a special way being an EVMS PA student. 

Thanks!

Hi there!

There are lots of great resources at EVMS to help guide you through PA school. Along with being assigned a faculty mentor, PA students also have student mentors from the PA class above. Academic Development is another great resource that helps refine your academic skills through things such as studying tips and tutoring services.

In terms of clubs and activities, you'll find lots of ways that you can be involved in the community. EVMS is an extremely community oriented school, and PA students are required to participate in at least 40 hours of community service prior to graduation. EVMS provides many different volunteer opportunities, including refugee health, working with kids with special needs, nutrition and wellness, and more! Here's a link to all of the community projects that EVMS has to offer: https://www.evms.edu/education/resources/community-engaged_learning/

If you're not interested in any of those, you are also welcome to volunteer in other projects outside of EVMS!

Hope this helps and good luck on your interview in July!

3 hours ago, DaynaMarie said:

So glad to hear your experiences with the first term.  Is the Anatomy Lab available outside class hours?

Yes, Anatomy lab is available to students all 7 days of the week at practically any time of the day! There were a few days out of the week where 1-2 hours were reserved in the early, early morning for high school students to come and learn. Besides that, you can come in whenever!

The professor also has open lab hours outside of class where you can come in and ask her additional questions, which is super helpful!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Breezy624 said:

Hi Joanne! Looking forward to meeting you as well. I am from NY and so I wanted to know how the move was for you? Was it easy to find an apartment in the area and what resources did you utilize?

Hi there! 

I moved here from Michigan and am so glad I did!  After I was accepted I came out to Norfolk and toured a bunch of places, which I HIGHLY recommend doing if you can. I didn't have much trouble at all finding a lease since there are so many apartments to choose from! Many of us live in the Ghent neighborhood, which is the area that surrounds EVMS campus. Some classmates do live a bit further (Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth, etc), but keep in mind there are tunnels you'll have to commute thru if you live further away, and tunnel traffic can be a bit unpredictable!

Off the top of my head, some of the more popular places our classmates live is Ghent Village Apartments,  Alexander at Ghent, Element at Ghent, The Law Building, Metro on Granby, and The James, to name a few. Several also found sublets/condos for rent from places like Zillow, etc. Hope that helps!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, eetdawson said:

Hi there! 

I moved here from Michigan and am so glad I did!  After I was accepted I came out to Norfolk and toured a bunch of places, which I HIGHLY recommend doing if you can. I didn't have much trouble at all finding a lease since there are so many apartments to choose from! Many of us live in the Ghent neighborhood, which is the area that surrounds EVMS campus. Some classmates do live a bit further (Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth, etc), but keep in mind there are tunnels you'll have to commute thru if you live further away, and tunnel traffic can be a bit unpredictable!

Off the top of my head, some of the more popular places our classmates live is Ghent Village Apartments,  Alexander at Ghent, Element at Ghent, The Law Building, Metro on Granby, and The James, to name a few. Several also found sublets/condos for rent from places like Zillow, etc. Hope that helps!

Aw, where in Michigan?  I was born there and spent my childhood and college years there.  Where did you do you undergrad work?  Did you stay in Michigan?