Online basic life support( BLS) recertification courses?

Let me first vent a little. For those of us who worked in emergency medicine/hospitalist/inpatient surgical ACLS certification is mandatory by most employers and hospitals. A few years back( 2008) our hospital and employer allowed docs and PAs to take our ACLS recertification online. And let me tell you, for those of us that were in very busy practice settings, this was a God send! We even received approval of Cat I CME from the NCCPA, but what really fried us was always having to take BLS recertification. Now here's my problem: OXver the years we had a very nice registered nurse who was a BLS instructor that would take us into the break room and in 15 minutes we would walk out having taken the test and demonstrated to her that we could do BLS. Unfortunately, she retired last year, after 42 years in the ER, and has let her BLS instructor expire. So, I been doing some surfing on the web today to see if there is any online BLS recertification course. I was able to find two, the American Academy of CPR and first aid, and proCPR.org. My question is have any of you taken online BLS recertification and had it accepted by your hospital or employers?

I'm an AHA instructor and it is their policy that the didactic portion of the course (both original and recert) can be done online, but that the skills stations MUST be done in person with an AHA instructor. Any site that offers a fully online recert is not an official AHA cerfication, and is therefore not likely to be accepted by your institution. Let me see if I can dig up the specifics...

Go to http://www.onlineaha.org and set yourself up an account.

Click on 'Course Catalog' and select the course you are looking for

- HeartCode ACLS, $110, CME 9.75

- HeartCode PALS, $105, CME 10.25

- HeartCode BLS, $28.50, no CME

Pay for the course, take the course, print our your CME cert for your records.

Print out the course completion certificate (the one with a long alphanumeric code) and take it to an AHA instructor within 60 days to complete the skills station. They will submit your final course paperwork and get you your card.

You can try searching here for sites that offer this service...

Or your hospital should have some system for getting people recerted (try through the nursing department)...

Or call your local AHA training center (search for it using the link above) and ask if they have any instructors who will do skill station testing for you.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions...the AHA site is not always the easiest to navigate.

I've taken BLS online that was offered to all employees by the hospital system I worked in. It was the AHA course. Our hospital offered it and paid for it for all employees who were required to take it. We did the online at home or during work, then printed the completion certificate. Our hospital set up a skills station and provided the AHA instructor. It was nice, done within an hour or less. Would your employer look into offering it for all employees?

Archived