Quinnipiac 2022-2023 Application Cycle

• 2 weeks later...

I am a former QU PA student. Do not apply to this program! Attending this program was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. The faculty and the university do not care about you. All they care about is their rankings, publicity, and the money. It's a highly ranked program in a low-ranked university, so the program is very powerful and has a lot of pull on everything and everybody. Almost all of the faculty members are QU PA grads. There is no diversity whatsoever. There is a token Black student in every class, plus a couple of Asians, and a couple of gays and lesbians, but don't let this fool you - all of this is just for show. The faculty members are judgmental and harassing. They intimidate students and threaten dismissal at every turn. This is not the environment you want to be in. Trust me, go somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are thinking of applying to QU, in additions to the concerns about lack of faculty support (reports from students carries far more weight than faculty (who are going to say they support their students!) you definitely want to ask admissions how many of the program’s seats are open to non ELMPA students at QU. (Hint: it’s not very many!) I think they invite folks to apply knowing full well most of the spots are reserved for the ELMPA students, thus inflating their revenue, applicant statistics as well as how competitive they are. Full disclosure- I’m a QU alum, however, I attended PA school elsewhere, at an amazing, supportive program!  Best of luck to you all!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 11:30 AM, LisaLisa said:

I am a former QU PA student. Do not apply to this program! Attending this program was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. The faculty and the university do not care about you. All they care about is their rankings, publicity, and the money. It's a highly ranked program in a low-ranked university, so the program is very powerful and has a lot of pull on everything and everybody. Almost all of the faculty members are QU PA grads. There is no diversity whatsoever. There is a token Black student in every class, plus a couple of Asians, and a couple of gays and lesbians, but don't let this fool you - all of this is just for show. The faculty members are judgmental and harassing. They intimidate students and threaten dismissal at every turn. This is not the environment you want to be in. Trust me, go somewhere else.

Hey LisaLisa, I respectfully disagree. Going to QU was the best decision of my life. I graduated a couple of years ago, had a multitude of job offers, and have been very successful in my position. The faculty totally care about you; I am sorry this was not your experience but perhaps you were also challenging for them? I agree the university seemingly cares less...but the program is constantly fighting that I think. Why do you not like that the staff are grads? I felt that was a strong point - that grads wanted to come back to teach. Diversity isn't great, I will give you that but every conversation I have had with faculty notes that they have been trying to change this but you cannot change the applicant pool overnight. Remember that QU is training you to become healthcare providers not dog walkers. Mistakes matter, patients can die. So not doing well is a big deal! I see that now more than ever as a practicing PA. When you join the Army, plenty of people can get through...its hard but you can make it out... But when you want to become a Green Beret, not many make it. QU is training the Green Beret's of PAs. Shame on you for slandering QU as you have done. 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:54 AM, 1madmamma said:

If you are thinking of applying to QU, in additions to the concerns about lack of faculty support (reports from students carries far more weight than faculty (who are going to say they support their students!) you definitely want to ask admissions how many of the program’s seats are open to non ELMPA students at QU. (Hint: it’s not very many!) I think they invite folks to apply knowing full well most of the spots are reserved for the ELMPA students, thus inflating their revenue, applicant statistics as well as how competitive they are. Full disclosure- I’m a QU alum, however, I attended PA school elsewhere, at an amazing, supportive program!  Best of luck to you all!

Since you didnt go to QU PA you don't know if the faculty are supportive or not. When I interviewed they were upfront about the ELMPA numbers-something that is outside of the PA program control. For what its worth, it sounds like the elmpa program is pretty hard to get in to and then they have pretty high standards so I don think it inflates anything at all. Also remember that only people who are disgruntled are outspoken. I happened to come on today to show a friend who is applying the site and I am glad I did. QU is a great place. 

6 hours ago, SeaPAC said:

Since you didnt go to QU PA you don't know if the faculty are supportive or not. When I interviewed they were upfront about the ELMPA numbers-something that is outside of the PA program control. For what its worth, it sounds like the elmpa program is pretty hard to get in to and then they have pretty high standards so I don think it inflates anything at all. Also remember that only people who are disgruntled are outspoken. I happened to come on today to show a friend who is applying the site and I am glad I did. QU is a great place. 

Haha! No, I did not go to PA school at QU (I spent enough $$$$ there in undergrad!)but I have a fair number of friends and coworkers who did, and they have mentioned some of these issues which are also backed up by the articles in the Chronicle, news reports and lawsuits. My point in mentioning the low number of seats available outside the ELMPA program is that it is deceptive to applicants not to disclose this information prior to applicants spending money to apply (as you stated you were informed at the interview) and designed to inflate the programs application statistics and to generate more revenue. I think they should provide full disclosure and allow students to make a decision to apply to their program based on the actual seats available, not the total number in class which is mostly ELMPA students. Also, I never said QU was not a great place. I had a very good experience there in undergrad.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:51 PM, SeaPAC said:

Hey LisaLisa, I respectfully disagree. Going to QU was the best decision of my life. I graduated a couple of years ago, had a multitude of job offers, and have been very successful in my position. The faculty totally care about you; I am sorry this was not your experience but perhaps you were also challenging for them? I agree the university seemingly cares less...but the program is constantly fighting that I think. Why do you not like that the staff are grads? I felt that was a strong point - that grads wanted to come back to teach. Diversity isn't great, I will give you that but every conversation I have had with faculty notes that they have been trying to change this but you cannot change the applicant pool overnight. Remember that QU is training you to become healthcare providers not dog walkers. Mistakes matter, patients can die. So not doing well is a big deal! I see that now more than ever as a practicing PA. When you join the Army, plenty of people can get through...its hard but you can make it out... But when you want to become a Green Beret, not many make it. QU is training the Green Beret's of PAs. Shame on you for slandering QU as you have done. 

Hey SeaPAC, 

If you take a look at the comments in the QU Chronicle articles, you can see the difference between students that received preferential treatment to the ones that didn't.  I'm guessing you were one of the ones that did.  Discrimination is still illegal, so why not let the Department of Justice letter and request of the students that weren't treated fairly have their investigation to see where things go.  I bet they do find evidence.  The sad part, is that if you were one of the unfortunate ones, you would have written the letter alongside the rest of them and would have wanted justice for your treatment.  More of "as long as it's not me, it's okay to happen to other students" mentality, or casting a blind eye and staying silent.  There are good PAs and bad PAs, and Quinnipiac has graduated their own share of both of them.  Each student that was admitted was at the top of their class and would not be considered a potential "dog walker" as you put, so that doesn't excuse what was done to them.  If they were treated fairly, they would have graduated.  Please don't talk about things that you don't know anything about, with your limited "good experience".  Why not talk to each student who wrote the letter to the DOJ and then decide what sort of comment on this forum.  So, Alexandra Faulkner's lawyers filed an amended complaint (lawsuit) recently that actually names some students that received preferential treatment over the last few years.  See if your name is there - it's public knowledge.

17 hours ago, tfitz said:

Hey SeaPAC, 

If you take a look at the comments in the QU Chronicle articles, you can see the difference between students that received preferential treatment to the ones that didn't.  I'm guessing you were one of the ones that did.  Discrimination is still illegal, so why not let the Department of Justice letter and request of the students that weren't treated fairly have their investigation to see where things go.  I bet they do find evidence.  The sad part, is that if you were one of the unfortunate ones, you would have written the letter alongside the rest of them and would have wanted justice for your treatment.  More of "as long as it's not me, it's okay to happen to other students" mentality, or casting a blind eye and staying silent.  There are good PAs and bad PAs, and Quinnipiac has graduated their own share of both of them.  Each student that was admitted was at the top of their class and would not be considered a potential "dog walker" as you put, so that doesn't excuse what was done to them.  If they were treated fairly, they would have graduated.  Please don't talk about things that you don't know anything about, with your limited "good experience".  Why not talk to each student who wrote the letter to the DOJ and then decide what sort of comment on this forum.  So, Alexandra Faulkner's lawyers filed an amended complaint (lawsuit) recently that actually names some students that received preferential treatment over the last few years.  See if your name is there - it's public knowledge.

Hi tfitz, 

Just as you are happy to share your opinion, I have shared mine. Are you a QUPA grad? I would love to know your credentials in speaking on this. The amendment makes me sad - as this is complete opinion and discredits the hard work of these students. I think about the folks in my class who did not graduate and frankly they did not deserve to graduate. I was friends with these people yet I had enough insight to know that they shouldn't be PAs. Just because people are at the top of the class, doesn't mean they should be providers. Look at Chris Duntsch...aka Dr.Death. Top of his class, brilliant guy...but should not have been a doctor. I read the lawsuit when it came out, I have read the articles subsequently published, and I have read all four (if you are PA you will recall that a study of four is a terrible study at best so four comments is hardly a consensus) QU chronicle comments. You ask me to not comment on things I have limited experience on so I will ask the same of you. I also think that you and others should not slander the QU PA program. I am certain that only a very tiny number of people have a truly terrible experience. So let people make their own decisions. 

On 8/17/2022 at 2:17 PM, SeaPAC said:

Hi tfitz, 

Just as you are happy to share your opinion, I have shared mine. Are you a QUPA grad? I would love to know your credentials in speaking on this. The amendment makes me sad - as this is complete opinion and discredits the hard work of these students. I think about the folks in my class who did not graduate and frankly they did not deserve to graduate. I was friends with these people yet I had enough insight to know that they shouldn't be PAs. Just because people are at the top of the class, doesn't mean they should be providers. Look at Chris Duntsch...aka Dr.Death. Top of his class, brilliant guy...but should not have been a doctor. I read the lawsuit when it came out, I have read the articles subsequently published, and I have read all four (if you are PA you will recall that a study of four is a terrible study at best so four comments is hardly a consensus) QU chronicle comments. You ask me to not comment on things I have limited experience on so I will ask the same of you. I also think that you and others should not slander the QU PA program. I am certain that only a very tiny number of people have a truly terrible experience. So let people make their own decisions. 

Let's break down what you have posted so far.

First, my credentials have nothing to do with this. I don't need to validate myself in comparison to you in order to seem credible. But, let's just say I have a lot more medical experience than you (MD) and I also passed the bar recently. In no way did I slander QU - I believe you are the first person that has attacked other posters here. Second, if you read all of the articles you will see that there are a total of 20 comments; only 2 are opposing viewpoints, the rest support the subject matter. Don't assume that PA's are the only qualified individuals that can look at statistics. I'm not sure how you counted only four. Third, you compared your fellow students that didn't graduate as possible Christopher Duntsch's, and are glad they didn't graduate because you thought they wouldn't be good PAs. I really wonder what type of provider you are, being very judgmental and hypocritical. Forth, you said that QU PA program is working on diversity, since all of their faculty are QU PA grads - they have had years to add diversity into their program, and yet they just hired a new program director that is a QU PA alumni (previous one left under suspicious circumstances to a much lower ranked program). 

You said that only a very tiny number of people have a truly terrible experience. In your view, would it be okay to be discriminated against in order to "weed" those students out?

Another point that I want to make is that QU PA graduates contributed to both the second article and to writing the letter to the DOJ. In my view, their opinions weigh more than yours as they are not disgruntled graduates. They actually supported their fellow classmates and believed that the treatment was unfair and stepped up to voice their opinion. It's very easy to post in a forum with the security of anonymity, but when you lash out at others, it says a lot about you. Continue to post, and reply to this if you want - I won't engage. Why not contact the DOJ with your own evidence to disprove the claims in that letter, and actually do something more than bark? 

Let prospective students make up their own minds. You can't discount the bad publicity within the last few months, and the very real lawsuit. Now, that's my area of expertise as well. 

Tfitz is restricted from posting further due to illegitimate email for account sign up against rules of the forum concerning for serving personal agenda. His posts will stay, but will not be able to respond further. 

Edit to add: Further investigation shows that IP is shared between tfitz and LisaLisa. Banned both for multiple accounts violation. 

• 2 weeks later...