BSN vs Public Health Degree...

I've probably asked this question before on here in one way or another (Actually, I'm sure of it), but I'd like to get a new view based upon the refreshed perspectives I've received from other coworkers. After talking to one of my charge nurses the other day, I realized that I don't necessarily need to apply/get into PA school ASAP (which is backed up by many posts on here I feel.) I'm 27, and while I'd like to finish a PA program as soon as possible, I realize the majority of PA students are in there 30's while attending/completing programs.

I've been torn between finishing a Bachelor's as soon as possible (Public Health, BPH) and doing something that may be a little longer (BSN), but would provide better interim job prospects and better pay. After reading many posts, I feel that completing a BSN would provide a better degree/HCE, a solid income, and a job to survive on should I not make PA school the first time around.

This charge nurse also mentioned that should I choose to complete a BSN, I could apply for a Navy commission right away. Doing this would allow me to already be a Naval Officer and start accumulating time in service/rank. While I never thought of this before, since I was so set on completing PA school ASAP, I feel that she made some very good points. She said learning the nursing model, while different than the medical model associated with PA, would allow me to get a better understanding of the collaborative efforts required in today's patient treatment protocols.

I kind of feel I've answered my own question, however, I'd still like some input if anyone has any regarding what they would do if they were in my shoes. I'm a Navy Corpsman (2 years) and an ED tech (1 year), so I feel I have a strong background, however, I know working as an RN would do nothing but strengthen my potential to get into a school.

Thoughts?

youd have a hard time showing me a MPH that couldnt be replaced by an ambitious RN with the right connections. thats not to say that an MPH shouldnt be replaced, just that they could be replaced in the wrong climate.

there are quite a few govt jobs(cdc epidemiological surveillance for example) that require an mph. certainly an rn, mph could fill them but not an rn without the mph. also many other govt jobs will give more money to an mph than a non-mph filling certain roles(like the state dept foreign service medical officers). you get even more brownie points for a doctorate level health degree like A DrPH, DHSc, or PhD.

Archived