2022-2023 Application Cycle

1 hour ago, xoxbutterflyxox said:

I’m having a bit of difficulty answering the agreeable and disagreeable portions of my patient care hours on the supplemental. Can anyone share examples of what they wrote down? I’m honestly stumped. 

For one of my examples (I work at an urgent care that got slammed during the delta variant of COVID), I put that a disagreeable aspect was the fact that we were often short staffed and it was difficult to accommodate the influx of patients that needed testing/office visits. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 9:37 AM, Longhorn0914 said:

As some of my future classmates have already mentioned, make sure you take a breather. This is a long process, my suggestion is to take your time on your applications and make sure you're really showing who you are and how you can contribute to the program! They really do look at your application in a holistic way, for example my undergraduate GPA is probably one of the lower ones in the class at 3.02. I did go to grad school and have a 3.86 from there and I think that helped but truth be told most of the required classes I didn't do well in the first go around. So I really thought that was going to be a big hindrance, but here I am about to start classes in a few weeks. 

Here's my timeline

-caspa application verified and received by duke 7/1

-secondary was submitted 7/6

-invitation to interview 8/24

-interview 9/23 

-accepted 9/29

Good luck everyone! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions! 

Hello!

Congratulations on getting accepted! How many patient care/volunteer hours did you have when you applied? 

Thank you so much and have a great day!

7 hours ago, app2223 said:

Just got an II for September!

3 hours ago, Longhorn0914 said:

Thank you! I had 6290 patient care hours, 14000 research hours, and 500 hours of Volunteer work. 

4 hours ago, OllieC said:

Eeeeek just got an interview for September! I submitted 1 July. 

Congratulations all of you guys! I was wondering if one of you could share the interview date and/or any ideas for when the next batch might come out?

Hi all! I submitted my supplemental to duke on 8/15 and was curious what stats accepted applicants have so I know if I should keep my hopes up for an interview. My undergrad gpa is 3.84 and my gre is 312.5. I have 2000+ hours as a CNA and around 1200 volunteer with a nonprofit medical group. I don’t have many PA shadowing hours, roughly 18 virtual (pandemic probs) but I have 200ish MD and NP combined. Should I keep my hopes up since Duke is a great program?

I’m not sure if I’m freaking out prematurely but Duke received my app, gre, and supplemental on June 23 and I didn’t get an interview invite this first round however I saw someone that submitted after me on July 1 got an interview. Do you think that means I’m not in the running for an interview anymore since they are interviewing people after me? Thank you!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Kay2022 said:

I’m not sure if I’m freaking out prematurely but Duke received my app, gre, and supplemental on June 23 and I didn’t get an interview invite this first round however I saw someone that submitted after me on July 1 got an interview. Do you think that means I’m not in the running for an interview anymore since they are interviewing people after me? Thank you!

Hey! I am in the same boat as you. I submitted May 1st on CASPA, and didn't score an interview. I've talked to a few people and here are the conclusions that I've heard which have helped me:

1) If the school is on rolling admissions, meaning they interview and accept students during the entire interview season, then no that does not mean you are rejected. This just means that your application was not selected for the first group of interviews. Majority of the schools will not usually let you know you are rejected until they have accepted all of their available seats, as well as their waitlist. In short, right now, it is still fairly early in the interview season, so no news is actually good news. it means that you have not been rejected.

2) Someone sent out their app early May and received the interview for the school they ultimately attended on Thanksgiving weekend! Don’t give up yet, there’s still time!

3) "Don’t give up hope! Last cycle I sent my app very early June, my top school started sending interview invites in September to people who submit in august, assumed a rejection, but ended up getting an interview in November. Don’t give up hope!"

4) It's possible that they send out interviews in order of their best applicants. This means we just weren't strong enough to make the cut, but could get an invite to the next. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, flummoxedinflux said:

Hey! I am in the same boat as you. I submitted May 1st on CASPA, and didn't score an interview. I've talked to a few people and here are the conclusions that I've heard which have helped me:

1) If the school is on rolling admissions, meaning they interview and accept students during the entire interview season, then no that does not mean you are rejected. This just means that your application was not selected for the first group of interviews. Majority of the schools will not usually let you know you are rejected until they have accepted all of their available seats, as well as their waitlist. In short, right now, it is still fairly early in the interview season, so no news is actually good news. it means that you have not been rejected.

2) Someone sent out their app early May and received the interview for the school they ultimately attended on Thanksgiving weekend! Don’t give up yet, there’s still time!

3) "Don’t give up hope! Last cycle I sent my app very early June, my top school started sending interview invites in September to people who submit in august, assumed a rejection, but ended up getting an interview in November. Don’t give up hope!"

4) It's possible that they send out interviews in order of their best applicants. This means we just weren't strong enough to make the cut, but could get an invite to the next. 

Thank you!! This is very reassuring. I’m hoping that we get some good news in the next round(: The waiting game is really getting to me right now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...