Hi Jgreenb1, I am waiting for CASPA to mail my application- so I don't have any insight for you... But I would suggest reviewing past discussion boards for last year's admission, since no one has responded yet... (you probably already did this...idk, just a thought).. I would help more if could!

Best of luck to you!!

Shaun

Guest MedLib42

I had an interview there about a month ago. It was pretty low key, they want to make you feel comfortable and they stressed that they want to use the interview to get to know about you and your personality. There is a tour, a Q&A with a student and faculty member, and a fifteen minute writing assignment (make sure you bring a pencil, it's handwritten). I was there for about four hours total. The personal interview is with a panel of faculty members, usually 3 or 4 I think (mine was with 3). They didn't ask any questions pertaining to healthcare, or why I chose to become a P.A, although they might ask some applicants that. They did ask some questions that were specific to my application, and seemed to gear the questions toward finding out about my personal interests, life philosophies, how I approach adversity and challenges, and the like. They did not ask any of the questions I prepared for - none of them were listed in the common PA interview question banks that were in books or on websites to help you prepare, although that might have been just my particular interview - I think they might ask each applicant different questions depending on what they perceive their strengths or interests to be based on their application (this is a guess though). Everyone was really nice that I interviewed with, they did not try to make me feel uncomfortable or anything like that (I've heard some interviewers do).

Also, finding the building can be kind of confusing - it's tucked away a bit, and you have to go through some other buildings to get to it. So, I visited campus and scouted it out the day before. If you can't do that, at least go in early enough in case you have difficulty. And, I was five minutes early for the sign in time, but I would suggest walking in at least fifteen minutes early, because they started right away (I think they might have even started early), and I feel like I cut it a little too close.

I hope this helped a bit! Remember to relax and be yourself!

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an interview there on Monday the 8th of Oct. do you have any insight on the writing assignment? also, im not scheduled to interview til 345, which gives me like 2 hours in between the writing assignment and the tour. what do I do?

Thanks!

Hey there everyone! I'm a first year student at UMDNJ. Just want to let you all know that this COULD be one of the most relaxing interviews, it's a matter of what you make it. They get over 1500 applicants and only interview about 250 for 50 spots, so if you are invited for an interview, they already want you. All they need to see now is what you are about and how you interact with others. They pride themselves with being laid back and having a very close and personal relationship with their students.

They don't ask you crazy questions, there is nothing to prepare for. If you know why you want to become a PA and how you plan on making it through school (it is a lot tougher than you think!!) them you are fine. They tailor the questions to your application, academic/clinical experience and personal statement. Not that they quiz you on it but rather it is about YOU. As far as the writing is concerned, they don't expect any big essay. I have a horrible handwriting, am not the best speller and only wrote about 10-15 lines and they apparently didn't have any problem with that! I'm not sure what they are looking for but PLEASE don't stress over it. After the writing they have a faculty member stay with you and "entertain" you, helping you all break the ice and relax by chatting with you all and asking basic questions like going around asking you your name and where your from. It's better to have that time.

Just remember that they are all nice and normal people. Just be yourself (I know, its hard!) and you'll be fine. You can PM me with questions as I don't never come around here.

GL to you all!

Archived