Still Unsure.......

if you want to work in primary care your scope will be similar to a doc in fp.

if you work in (most) specialties you will have a much lower scope of practice than a doc in that specialty.

my standard advice to folks under 35 without prior medical experience is to go to medschool. I wish I had every day.

You should take the MCAT, study really hard for it, and go to medical school. PA school and medical school or both rigorous programs, but there are major differences. You have the grades and you don't need HCE for medical school. I would suggest doing some research in a lab before you start applying places. Also, it all depends on what you want to be and what field you want to work in. I know you want to work as a health care professional, but what would you like to do exactly...Surgery, EM, Internal Med, Family Medicine, etc. Do some research in this forum and the student doctor forum to get a better idea on what exactly a PA does. There are tons of threads on differences, just search google.

You should take the MCAT, study really hard for it, and go to medical school. PA school and medical school or both rigorous programs, but there are major differences. You have the grades and you don't need HCE for medical school. I would suggest doing some research in a lab before you start applying places. Also, it all depends on what you want to be and what field you want to work in. I know you want to work as a health care professional, but what would you like to do exactly...Surgery, EM, Internal Med, Family Medicine, etc. Do some research in this forum and the student doctor forum to get a better idea on what exactly a PA does. There are tons of threads on differences, just search google.

Sorry, but as a Pre-PA, how can you say that this person should go to med school? Also, please, stay away from 70% of SDN OP, especially the Pre-Med section. Avoid that section like the plague.

I'm trying to give the best advice for his situation. You know nothing about me, so stop talking. He has great potential of becoming a doctor from what I see in his intro. I come from a family full of doctors, so I think I know a little bit about what I'm talking about.

I'm trying to give the best advice for his situation. You know nothing about me, so stop talking. He has great potential of becoming a doctor from what I see in his intro. I come from a family full of doctors, so I think I know a little bit about what I'm talking about.
Oh come on. Telling someone to study really hard and take the MCAT isn't advice; it's an imperative statement. Also, you're n=1 anecdotal evidence doesn't help your case much. I'm not saying that the OP lacks the potential to become a doctor, but he/she shouldn't take any "advice" from someone who probably has no medical experience whatsoever, probably not even a PA or med student. I'm sure this person knows better, at least I hope so, than to take advice from either one of us. Also, to the OP, if you want to take my advice, shadowing should help you answer some of your questions. Good luck.

The PA vs MD debate is really a personal decision. For me, I chose PA for several reasons. First, I didn't want to spend all of my 20s and 30s in med school, I want to start a family before I am 35. I also didn't want to spend so many years in school under high stress- PA school is incredibly intense but it is only two years. Secondly, I can do everything I want to do as a PA. I will be able to see my own patients, prescribe medication, form treatment plans and manage chronic diseases. I have NO desire to own my own practice although PAs can own 45% of a practice (In Texas). I think some of the attitudes towards PAs vary by state, some states may be more welcoming and PAs are given more autonomy but that really depends on your supervising physician. I've never met a PA who was unhappy with his job but I've met plenty of miserable MDs. Part of that may be because a PA can switch fields without repeating a residency.

On your pros list I would like to mention that PAs don't necessarily have more flexible hours than MDs, that really depends on how often you are on call and if you work in a specialty- if you work in an ER you are not going to have a 9-5. A supervising physician doesn't need to be present at a practice for a PA to work, as long as they are available in some form ex: by phone a PA can work any shift. I would also like to add that some of the differences in PA vs MD education is compensated for by experience, after you work in a field you pick up a lot more. MDs learn more pathways and go farther into the science of medicine in their extra years, PAs are known for better bedside manners and patient assessment. If you find shadowing or volunteering opportunities you may find it easier to make your decision after working with both PAs and MDs/DOs.

The PA profession has come so far in almost 50 years, and we typically mirror changes in other health care professions. NPs and RTs are moving towards doctorate degrees. If we want to stay competitive we may need to move towards doctorate degrees. I've heard Baylor has a PA Doctorate in the works.

Archived