UW 2022-2023 Application cycle

Hey everyone. I'm a current MEDEX student, in Seattle 56, just finishing up first quarter of didactic year. I remember being in your shoes a year ago myself. The anticipation and anxiety of wondering when you will hear something can be very stressful. If anyone has any questions about the application/interview process or the program I would love to try to help clarify and offer my perspective and experience, as limited as it may be. I am also a military veteran using my Post 9/11 GI Bill, so if any other vet has questions about that process or about transitioning to civilian life and school in general, I'd be more than happy to talk about all that too.

In general though, hang in there, stay optimistic and most of all be patient! The process is daunting at times and it can feel like forever until you hear something.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kweb011 said:

Hey everyone. I'm a current MEDEX student, in Seattle 56, just finishing up first quarter of didactic year. I remember being in your shoes a year ago myself. The anticipation and anxiety of wondering when you will hear something can be very stressful. If anyone has any questions about the application/interview process or the program I would love to try to help clarify and offer my perspective and experience, as limited as it may be. I am also a military veteran using my Post 9/11 GI Bill, so if any other vet has questions about that process or about transitioning to civilian life and school in general, I'd be more than happy to talk about all that too.

In general though, hang in there, stay optimistic and most of all be patient! The process is daunting at times and it can feel like forever until you hear something.

Thank you so much. Military wife here. Reapplicant. Tacoma first choice. Seattle second choice. Is there a specific resource you recommend for preparing for interviews? I’m going insane waiting to see if I’ll get an invite this year and am trying not to feel depressed. 

Not really a specific resource. I did look at the PA Platform's interview guide, listened to some of her and other's podcasts, and I did a mock interview. For me that stuff was worth it because it made me more confident with my answers. You can find typical PA interview questions all over the internet to practice. You don't need to pay any more money to be prepared. Don't memorize answers either, have a few specific situations in which you did something that you can use to illustrate points and be able to confidently say who you are and why you want to be a PA.

I understand the feeling. Hang in there, be patient as best you can.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 4:57 PM, kweb011 said:

Hey there, thank you for reaching out to all of us. Can I ask how your experience has been as a student? I recently heard someone express concern that because Medex had so many students, they would not receive as much individual attention as some at a smaller school. I had always assumed that the many different campuses and staff addressed this problem. Have you had any similar experiences?

On 8/13/2022 at 2:57 PM, kweb011 said:

Hey there, I am also a military vet (Army medic)! Thanks for your willingness to share your experience! I'd love a general overview of the interview process, if you don't mind!

Also, how has didactic been, and how many exams do you have per week? 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 4:46 PM, Christiana11 said:

Hey there, thank you for reaching out to all of us. Can I ask how your experience has been as a student? I recently heard someone express concern that because Medex had so many students, they would not receive as much individual attention as some at a smaller school. I had always assumed that the many different campuses and staff addressed this problem. Have you had any similar experiences?

So far that has not been my experience. We just got done with summer quarter, which was mostly taught via Zoom and prerecorded lectures followed by classroom group activities. The rest of didactic will be a bit different, but the course chairs for our 2 main courses had weekly office hours via Zoom and were communicative via email. So in my opinion and my experience, that's not the case. I think it would be even less so for the smaller, more remote cohorts like AK and HI.

On 8/15/2022 at 4:52 PM, AG1010 said:

Hey there, I am also a military vet (Army medic)! Thanks for your willingness to share your experience! I'd love a general overview of the interview process, if you don't mind!

Also, how has didactic been, and how many exams do you have per week? 

For our class interviews were held over Zoom. The day generally consisted of an icebreaker and an introduction activity, then we had 3 interviews. I was with 2 other applicants and 2 faculty/staff. Nothing really surprising about the questions asked, none of the professors pretended to be patients or anything like that, it was very straightforward. My impression was they mainly wanted to see how you interacted with other potential classmates and how you could express yourself (your experiences, background and such). 

Didactic has been good overall. We just finished summer quarter, which is more of a refresher of basic sciences that we will build upon throughout the rest of didactic. We had at least 2 exams/quizzes each week, sometimes 3 or 4. That was for 3 classes. This fall will be 5 classes and I am expecting even more volume, but it will be a lot more hands on and not as straight science focused. If you go in with the mindset of you're going to be on campus from 8-5 every day and studying a few hours on either side of that, you will be fine.

I recently finished my time as well, as an Army medic. If you bring the hard work ethic, perseverance and discipline you needed to get through long hours and days of hard, crappy stuff in the military, you will do great. PM me if you have any more questions about the transition from the military or GI Bill stuff or anything!

• Like 1

Hey all! I appreciate all the updates and information on this forum, it has been extremely helpful. Does anyone know the method to the madness in terms of interview dates? For example, who necessarily will be invited to the predicted late September interview versus the later ones? Does it have to do with when you applied or is this their own ranking system?

Just curious because I applied July 17, verified July 18, moved to faculty review July 22. I selfishly don't want to think I might hear soon for a September interview if instead I might fall into a later date. I'm trying to be as patient as possible but also want to set realistic expectations. 

Thanks all and best of luck to everyone here! I'm rooting for us all!

15 hours ago, SRB4PA said:

Does anyone know the method to the madness in terms of interview dates? For example, who necessarily will be invited to the predicted late September interview versus the later ones? Does it have to do with when you applied or is this their own ranking system?

Just curious because I applied July 17, verified July 18, moved to faculty review July 22.

Unfortunately I don't know of a system. I know the first round of "moved on to faculty review" emails went out in late June, but given how much Medex highlights a holistic review I assume they have  an internal ranking system.

Hey folks! Finishing the supplemental questions. Regarding military experience, I went to basic training for the Navy, but never graduated due to a medical discharge. So technically I am not a veteran, but it is technically "military experience." Does someone know if it is worthwhile to list?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, NDJR7 said:

Hey folks! Finishing the supplemental questions. Regarding military experience, I went to basic training for the Navy, but never graduated due to a medical discharge. So technically I am not a veteran, but it is technically "military experience." Does someone know if it is worthwhile to list?

Thanks!

I'm an Army vet, but I think I would still include it if I were you, as long as you can write about a significant experience you had or something you learned from it all. 

9 minutes ago, AG1010 said:

I'm an Army vet, but I think I would still include it if I were you, as long as you can write about a significant experience you had or something you learned from it all. 

That's great, I'll definitely include it then. I appreciate the advice and the INSANELY quick response. You rock in my book.

• Like 1