2013 Application Cycle

@Mordecai

It started with breakfast, then 30 minutes to write an essay answering a question they posed for us when we got there. Following that, we had a lengthy Q&A with a second year student and were given a student's perspective on the program and school. Later we met the program director, Professor Cashin, who was incredibly nice and made us all feel very comfortable. She spent a few minutes answering some more questions and pointing out the advantages of attending Mercy. They then divided us into groups of three and brought each threesome in for the group interview while the remaining interviewees received a tour of the facilities. After the interviews they served us lunch and we got a chance to mingle further with the current students.

As far as the three-person interview went, I personally found it to be an advantage over the one-on-one format. They gave each person a chance to be first, second, and third to answer a question, so that we all got an equal opportunity to share our thoughts. On top of that the usual anxiety that I feel on these interviews was dampened a bit as it was shared with the two other people in the room. The lower anxiety may also be attributed to the professors, as both of those who interviewed were very warm and inviting.

Hope this helps.

Do you mind sharing what essay question they gave you?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I handed in my $800.00 deposit pretty soon after I received my letter. I got the letter on Christmas Eve and the deposit is due January 15th. I still have to take Biochem this semester so my acceptance is conditional based on the completion of the course. Classes start the first week of June apparently which makes me super nervous since I graduate May 20th. Cutting it close!!!!!! It also mentioned in the letter that we have a medical terminology exam the second day of orientation!!!!!! So I've ordered the textbook they assigned for that and it looks pretty helpful.

And don't worry about the interview it was pretty laid back! At first I was so nervous because it is a group interview but I found that it was actually better. While another student is answering a question it gives you time to think about your answer. All three students get asked the same questions. I felt really comfortable.

After the interview you get an opportunity to interact with the faculty at lunch. It's optional but definitely take advantage of that!

Best of luck! Maybe we will be classmates one day :)

I just received a phone call from Mercy confirming my interview on Jan. 11th. I checked my email but wasn't sent anything regarding the interview and today was the first I heard of it! I was just wondering if anyone else going to the january 11th interview had gotten an email beforehand. I'm about to call back and ask where exactly the interview is held and just general things I should know for friday. If anyone has any info about it could you let me know? THANKS!

@PANY2013

Oh wow, that was a pretty fast decision you had to make! I also have to take Biochem this semester so it looks like we are in the same boat! A Medical Terminology exam?? Yikes! At least you're able to prepare ahead of time. I'm glad your interview went well! I heard about the lunch and I am definitely going to stay for that! Thanks so much, I'll keep you updated on what happens, it would be great to already "know" someone if I'm accepted!

Hey Guys!

I got accepted into Mercy as well!!!!!! Very excited and a little scare to be honest.

I was wondering does anyone has to move out of state?

I live in Miami so I will be moving out to NY but I have no idea where to look for places to rent :saddd:

Anybody has any recommendations?

Also you can ask me anything about the interview process :wink:

The medical terminology exam is super easy. I think I still have the words and definitions somewhere so don't worry about it. Send me your e-mails in a private message. If you are already looking for places to live look in these areas and no where else because sadly the majority of the Bronx is ghetto.

Country Club

Pelham Bay

Throgs neck

Pelham Parkway (North)

Morris Park (North of Bronxdale avenue)

:)

Hey guys!! Well for those interested in sharing, communicating and hopefully finding a future roommate I created a facebook group. Its called Mercy College PA Class of 2015, anyone can join and hopefully we can all help each other out :wink:. Feel free to message me and, for those that have an interview coming up, good luck!!

Archived