University of utah 2022-2023 application cycle

Hi!  For anyone who is a current UPAP student or interviewed in the past, can you talk about interview day?  What was the agenda?  What kind of questions are asked?  What tips would you suggest to prepare knowing what you now know from past experience.  Just hoping to be as best prepared as I can be if invited for an interview.

Should hear about interviews in the next week or two, right?

On 8/25/2022 at 10:35 AM, mgo811 said:

Hi everyone! I am a PA student at UPAP, just graduating. If anyone has any questions about the program, interviews, etc., please feel free to reach out! I am happy to help in any way that I can. It's a great program. Good luck!

How was your social life throughout the program? Were you able to have hobbies outside the program?

On 9/30/2022 at 3:09 PM, oscarin92 said:

How was your social life throughout the program? Were you able to have hobbies outside the program?

A little hard to say because I started in May 2020 right when COVID started. My whole didactic year was during COVID. I would say though that I still had plenty of time to exercise, spend time with friends and family, and even take little weekend trips. Your schedule during clinical year is a little more up in the air because your rotation schedule is determined by your preceptor. Still though, I found time to do things I wanted to do. I also had a baby right before clinical year and felt like I still was able to spend time with her and didn't miss out too much. PA school is all about time management and if you can learn to study smarter and not longer, you will be just fine. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2022 at 1:22 PM, IPM22 said:

Hi!  For anyone who is a current UPAP student or interviewed in the past, can you talk about interview day?  What was the agenda?  What kind of questions are asked?  What tips would you suggest to prepare knowing what you now know from past experience.  Just hoping to be as best prepared as I can be if invited for an interview.

Should hear about interviews in the next week or two, right?

I interviewed last year so the interviews were still online, I'm not sure if they will be this year (but we still have to wear masks in class so I think they might be). Regardless, it was a super relaxed interview day with 3 2:1 interviews (2 faculty and you). I think they were like an hour each. They also had a student panel to ask questions. The faculty really look over your application so don't waste time talking about things they have already read unless they ask you about it specifically! I would just practice your interview skills and answers like any other interview!

49 minutes ago, upaprocks said:

I interviewed last year so the interviews were still online, I'm not sure if they will be this year (but we still have to wear masks in class so I think they might be). Regardless, it was a super relaxed interview day with 3 2:1 interviews (2 faculty and you). I think they were like an hour each. They also had a student panel to ask questions. The faculty really look over your application so don't waste time talking about things they have already read unless they ask you about it specifically! I would just practice your interview skills and answers like any other interview!

Since each 2:1 interview lasts about an hour, how long do your recommend your answers to be? I’ve read/heard that they should be long, but I’ve also heard that they should be kinda short and to the point 😂

9 minutes ago, McKennaM said:

Since each 2:1 interview lasts about an hour, how long do your recommend your answers to be? I’ve read/heard that they should be long, but I’ve also heard that they should be kinda short and to the point 😂

My interview last year was virtual and I had like 3 separate interviews that only lasted about 20 minutes each. So I don't think they're an hour long per interview. 

26 minutes ago, McKennaM said:

Received an interview invite for the st george location! Congrats to those who have interviews. For those rejected, keep your head up! 

Hey McKenna, I also got an invite for an interview but it doesn't specify location.  My assumption is that it's for the SLC campus but wanted to ask you where it says St. George in your email?

1 minute ago, IPM22 said:

Hey McKenna, I also got an invite for an interview but it doesn't specify location.  My assumption is that it's for the SLC campus but wanted to ask you where it says St. George in your email?

The email said this, “invite you to interview with us at our southern Utah campus in St. George, Utah.”

Rejected today! Bummed since this was my first choice and my dream to move here for the past few years. Was hopeful for at least an interview but knew my PCE was lower compared to others  

cGPA: 3.93

pce: 500 at time of app, more since

hce: 1500

shadow: ~80 with a few PA’s, 2 MD’s, and 1 NP

plenty of volunteer, leadership, and some research 

good luck to the rest of you!

Edited by PAsoonski