Critical Care Residency/Fellowship

Hey guys, PA-S2 here. Going to be graduating in 2 months (Jesus take the wheel), and I've decided to go forth with a residency/fellowship in critical care. Was wondering if anyone has completed a fellowship/residency in critical care, and what you thought of it? Already interviewed at a few places, just trying to get some honest feedback about the programs etc. Thanks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have not attended a critical care residency.  

That being said, having been in critical care for 10+ years there would be knowledge/training that I would look for:

If a primary MICU residency then off service rotations (each at least 2-4 weeks) with trauma/SICU, cardiology/CCU, anesthesia (ideally with 50+ intubation attempts), ER, hospitalist service and possible electives in nephrology and neurology.  

If a primary SICU or one with surgical focus then off service rotations in MICU, hospitalist service, ortho, CTICU, trauma, anesthesia with electives in various surgical specialities (neurosurgery, OMFS, etc.).

If the residency is at an academic institution, ideally the residency should have you attend the same lectures, grand rounds, conferences as interns (PGY1), residents (PGY2 or higher) and fellows (graduates from medical school who have completed their residency and could have become an attending but chosen a fellowship in a specialty typically for 2-7 years depending on specialty). 

If not an academic hospital, ensure there is dedicated time for teaching, mentoring and lectures.  Make sure you talk to graduates of the residency and get their input.  Make sure you are not just cheap labor.  

I do think residency is beneficial for certain new grad PAs that want to practice “full scope” and are ambitious in their career.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am emergency medicine and done some critical care. I work in ED full time and occasionally volunteer in my hospitals ICU. I didn't do any fellowship in critical care. My hospital just gave us a critical care review and allowed us to help in our under staffed ICU. Critical care is a fun field but can be hard at times. I prefer ED 100% just my opinion. I can give you some experience tips. Families will be more anxious in ICU and some people show anxiety with aggression. As a PA or NP you will be a big target for angry patients and family because they often feel as they deserve a doctor even tho we have a supervising physician watching them too. If you have any questions I can answer some by experience but I have not done a fellowship in critical care or ever been full time. 

• Upvote 1