Recent Grad with LOW GPA Seeking Advice

Hello,

I have researched PA extensively throughout this year and after graduating from a 4-year university, I have decided to take steps towards my application. However, with a cumulative GPA of 2.87 and science GPA of 2.4 I feel somewhat lost in where my chances may lie. I definitely plan to make myself stand out by dedicating hours as an EMT throughout the next 1-2 years and volunteer hours to local charitable organizations. I also have been already planning to study for the GRE. My question is, what steps could I take to not only maybe increase my GPA but also make myself stand out? (I have been considering Master's Programs geared towards pre-PAs and Post-Bacc programs)

Any advice and information is definitely welcome and appreciated. Thank You

Hello,

I have researched PA extensively throughout this year and after graduating from a 4-year university, I have decided to take steps towards my application. However, with a cumulative GPA of 2.87 and science GPA of 2.4 I feel somewhat lost in where my chances may lie. I definitely plan to make myself stand out by dedicating hours as an EMT throughout the next 1-2 years and volunteer hours to local charitable organizations. I also have been already planning to study for the GRE. My question is, what steps could I take to not only maybe increase my GPA but also make myself stand out? (I have been considering Master's Programs geared towards pre-PAs and Post-Bacc programs)

Any advice and information is definitely welcome and appreciated. Thank You

I'm not exactly in your situation but similar enough that I don't have that much of a strong GPA because I only have the minimum required GPA. I couldn't think of much to do either but apply anyway. Now, I'm in the waiting game hoping that I would get at least ONE acceptance. If I don't (which I really don't want to think about), I would just ask the admission committee and hear from them directly what exactly I can do to make me a better candidate for the next cycle. Or if you don't want to take chances of applying when you get your health care experience then visit each campus, talk to the admin and ask them what you can do now.

Hearing from the people who will read your application are better indicator of your chances than listening to us. Our advice are definitely limited. At the same time, I do my best to avoid sending discouraging words since I need faith and support around me as well. Just like you do :)

GOOD LUCK!

I can agree with you in one aspect or another, but I am curious to why you say that graduate level work may not be looked at favorably? It may not be combined with an overall, but certainly can be looked at as a GPA with a fresh start, wouldnt you say? Especially, a fresh start heavily weighted with rigorous academic work.

I can agree with you in one aspect or another, but I am curious to why you say that graduate level work may not be looked at favorably? It may not be combined with an overall, but certainly can be looked at as a GPA with a fresh start, wouldnt you say? Especially, a fresh start heavily weighted with rigorous academic work. 

Sounds like a discouraging situation that needs to be adressd realistically. Straight answer would be there's not muh you can do without heavily investing in a reboot. Better answer is to say "this is what the lay of the land is", and that makes other options more clear. Absent any info regarding major, hce, etc, it's hard to say. This is about the fourth post that lays out a similar scenario, yet provides almost no background to work with. I find myself wondering if this is just the time of year when us news and world report comes out with its top ten career list, and folks just think PAs are assistants rather than medical providers.

They asked about insight regarding a masters, mentioned what they planned to do to stand out, and asked for steps. I told them what I thought about a masters, and illustrated what the obstacles were so that they could gauge an approach. It does no good to spin wheels as an EMT thinking that will be the key, when a three pronged attack (hce, gpa, retakes), is what's needed. The advice is right there in the logic presented.

^depends on the program. I know some will consider the last 60 credit hours attempted, but to the majority of programs, undergrad sGPA is king, followed by cGPA. The programs have to form a way to standardize the selection process, using these numbers, in addition to other quantifiable stats (HCE, GRE) is the easiest way to go about it.

Speaking from my direct situation. My undergrad CASPA GPA was a 2.31. I got a 3.69 when I completed my MBA (45 units) and that counted towards my cGPA not my undergrad but most programs care about your overall cGPA because postbach is also in a seperate pool. I went back for a post Bach and took 44 units of science courses (4.0 GPA) and now my cGPA is at a 2.93. I'm 15 units at a 4.0 to raise my GPA to a 3.0. I had 1 interview out of 8 places I applied with a 2.8 gpa last year. I realistically don't think I'll get in this cycle and knowing this I began working as an ER Tech to make myself more competative and better prepare myself for school.

Raising your GPA is tough especially when there are so many units. It takes 4 units at a 4.0 to raise my cGPA 0.02 just to put it in perspective. There are schools that emphasize on your last 60 units. There are some schools that look at the entire applicant. Your biggest hope is to apply to a school that will acknowlege your positive grade trending. My friend just started a PA program and was accepted with a 2.7 cGPA and. ~4k HCE so it's possible. Keep plugging away and hopefully you'll have a good outcome.

If I were to do it all over again I would have become an RT while taking my postbach / prerequisite courses (I'd prefer RN over RT but couldn't get into a cost effective program in my area). At least with the RT I would increase my GPA while being able to land a good gig as a fall back plan while waiting to get in and get paid more than my EMT job.

Well my situation is also so similar its scary! Ive been calling all the schools recently to ask what I can do to improve my chances, and all just say EVERYTHINGS GREAT.......except.....your GPA. We really want a 3.0 - But I have 169.5 credits already and I will need to take 65 more credits with nothing but A's across the board to get a 3.0 cumulative average. They all answer, "yup, its gonna be tough!". So I suppose if I want it that badly, hm? I do want it that bad, I just dont know if it will all be worth it when I finally come out a PA and have the amount of loans to pay back that a Doctor would, with a salary nearly 3x's less. I want to become a PA to begin my life, not become permanently in debt. Once im done cursing myself out for being so stupid when I was younger and not focusing on my academics more, maybe ill figure out what the best course of action will be for me and my future.

With that said, I think that going the graduate school route is the best way to go - majoring in Biology. This will be calculated as an OVERALLLL [people!!! thats right, I heard it from the admissions schools themselves, EVERYTHING is counted!!] and thus at the same time I raise my overall average, I raise my science average, as well as hold a second degree (which is more credible than simply taking science classes haphazardly). This is my advice to you. I did manage to get one interview so far after 6 or 7 rejects, but only at a BRAND new program, which I'll imagine, isnt very difficult to get [i.e. less applicants, less people know about the program etc.] I want more options and hopefully a great chance for a great career, but unfortunately its gonna take more work for me than a lot of other people. These werent the cards I was dealt, I dealt them myself, and for that, its clear I have to do what it takes to fix it!

I agree with you, there is always more than one option. I just feel I set this goal for myself, so why am I going to give up on my goal. I think once I give it my best shot, maybe the 3rd time that I try with no admittance into PA school, then I'll throw in the towel saying I tried my best. Until then, I think I'll give it everything I've got. Im 24, single, and still living at home. Is it where I imagined myself at this age? Of course not, but I know I am good enough to get what I want, and why shouldn't I be? You may be right about Grad school not being the best route, it is although the most convenient [times, classes, etc]. I ultimately decided to go for a second degree (undergraduate) in Biology. Its only 30 credits to complete, by round 2 next year, Ill have a lot more HCE hours, hopefully A's in all sciences I can get into, and I think a lot better of a chance to be accepted. This is all hypothetical of course, I still have 10 more schools to hear back from and one interview to attend. Which does mean miracles can still happen. Still, in the event I'm not a PA student by this time next year, atleast I have a back up plan.

And for the OP, I think going the grad route can work out if your willing to put in the time/money, or do a second degree in Biology. If neither of these seem appealing, than like PAMAC says, maybe RN or something else related will appeal to you. Good luck!

Archived