Hospitalist service in a teaching hospital

hey everyone

we are trying to add PAs the the teaching medicine teams, we've seen this done in other hospitals.

My question is, how are other programs allowing PAs to sign off to the intern/night float? we are being told that since PAs are non teaching service, a PA cant sign of to an intern.

how are other programs getting around that ?

we have a 24 hr obs unit staffed 20 hrs during the day by pa's. we sign out to the night er doc so they are aware of who is in the unit and what is going on during the 4 hrs when no pa is there. on the hospitalist service they use pa's who sign out to the night hospitalist.

on our teaching service the residents have their own pts and sign out either to another resident or to one of their attendings.

hey everyone

we are trying to add PAs the the teaching medicine teams, we've seen this done in other hospitals.

My question is, how are other programs allowing PAs to sign off to the intern/night float? we are being told that since PAs are non teaching service, a PA cant sign of to an intern.

how are other programs getting around that ?

It all depends on how the service is structured. There is no rule that a PA cannot sign out to an intern. If the duty of the intern is to cover all of the hospitalist patients (teaching and non-teaching) then they have to take sign out. If they don't cover the non-teaching service then you sign out to whomever does.

We have six hospitalist services. Two are teaching and four are non-teaching. The teaching service signs out to the on call intern (q4) and the hosptialist service signs out to the nocturnist hospitalist. The teaching services alternate with the hospitalist at night until they are capped. Then the hospitalist takes all the rest. Our non-teaching service is MD/(PA/NP) x 4.

David Carpenter, PA-C

We are a teching service and the formal structure has a PGY2 sign out to the night float PGY2, and same deal for the floor with interns. The reality is the ICU pts are all signed out by the PAs to the night float 2nd yr since the on service residents doesn't know everything going on with the service, and more importantly, the plans to set for the night (if A happens, do B, call me for this but not this etc).

I have never been told that a PA can't sign out to a resident.

Archived