Interest in DO Bridge program

1 hour ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

MCAT scores do directly correlate with passage of step exams. That’s it.

Yeah, I believe I read somewhere it is a pretty weak correlation and with Step 1 becoming P/F it is more or less a moot point.

I know some west coast programs continued to waive to MCAT this year, continuing the practice from the 2020 cycle. A PA I speak to on reddit applied to these programs but IIRC didn't get any love until their MCAT was taken and subsequently received two top 10 acceptances. 

That being said, people who decided to not take the MCAT were competing against those who did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, redswc15 said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm a current PA as well as a  current DO student.  I am doing some research in conjunction with my dean regarding interest in a PA to DO bridge program.    I am aware that one such program already exists at LECOM.   This program  would be in the Southeastern United States.  I think this is a very real possibility if I can demonstrate appropriate interest to our deans.  If you have friends or acquaintances who are interested that would be helpful anecdotal information as well.   We are in the very early stages of investigating this opportunity so unfortunately I am not able to provide much more detail at this time.    Thanks for your time!

If a PA-to-med school bridge program opened up close to home and was affordable in terms of time and monetary cost, I would apply. If I didn’t have to move and could continue to work part-time/prn as a PA at my current job to pay for bridge program tuition, I don’t see a reason NOT to go for it. (I really hope you’re referring to LECOM’s Bradenton campus or somewhere else near there as the new potential site!)

To echo what some others have said, it would be awesome if future PA-med school bridge programs were shortened to two years (1 year didactic, 1 year rotations), followed by residency, since most (all?) PA programs are already at least 24 months long.

I don’t think application requirements for these bridge programs should include the MCAT (focus should be on actual academic performance in under grad + PA school) and there should be no expiration date on any required pre-requisite courses.

Hoping you can share some more info with us soon about any developments. The prospect of another bridge program is very exciting! Thank you for advocating for us!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

OHSU has a YOUR MD program where there is some flexibility to the program. I have only done some cursory reading on it. It is allegedly competency based and you can bypass some foundations courses. I dont exactly know what that means though. I would be curious to see what this would like for some one who has graduated PA school and practiced for a few years.