Contract Reviews and Pricing

I'm going to be using an attorney in the near-future to review an employment contract. While I understand that mileage will vary, what have been your experiences when dealing with attorneys in a contract review?

1. Are they wanting to charge you hourly or flat rate?

2. What is a fair price?

3. What is a reasonable timeframe for them to review and report back?

4. Have you noticed any difference between non-employment vs. employment attorneys?

5. Have you noticed any difference in quoted prices based on the specialty the contract falls under (i.e. EM, CC, Cards, etc.)?

I have never done it but I heard some outrageous prices quoted such as $700.

The review can help you avoid some major pitfalls BUT the power generally lies with the employer who can give a take-it---or-leave it to you. Many contracts, particularly in large orgs are formulary and they won't change them.

I'm going to halve the baby.... look at it first...discuss it with some folks who have signed a few...then decide if the money is worth it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Recently paid $350 and thought it was worth it.  When I read the contract, I saw some items of concern but the lawyer saw even more.  I'd say the informed opinion was worth it as I go forward.  In that instance, he would not strictly tell me to avoid signing it but said "this is the kind of contract that I write on behalf of the employer". 

1 hour ago, Jofriend said:

Recently paid $350 and thought it was worth it.  When I read the contract, I saw some items of concern but the lawyer saw even more.  I'd say the informed opinion was worth it as I go forward.  In that instance, he would not strictly tell me to avoid signing it but said "this is the kind of contract that I write on behalf of the employer". 

yep. Can't stand lawyers. They create business for themselves out of thin air 

• 6 months later...

It depends on an attorney, and you can just discuss the conditions before. I did the same thing around a year ago and paid the guy $400 for the whole job. It was worth it because I managed to get a better salary this way.
It was a Court martial attorney I knew from the times I was serving in the military. Usually, he works with soldiers, but this time he helped me too. That’s why I recommend his agency to anyone needing legal advice on various topics.
You need to be careful with contracts and always ask a lawyer to look at them before signing.

Edited by fizahydraulic1
  • Thanks 1