Ordering Medications and Supplies as a PA

I have become the solo practitioner of a practice here in Texas.  I want to be clear that I do not own the practice but have been put in charge of the practice.  I posted in this forum because I believe I will get more feedback here.  I have attempted to order medical supplies (needles, syringes, etc) as well as some medications (lidocaine, betamethasone, topical mometasone, etc) from McKesson and I am getting pushback that they do not want to send these supplies under my license.   I am not ordering any medications that are scheduled but do have that authority from my SP, which is documented with the state.  Has anyone come across this?  If so, how did you resolve the situation?  They also do not want to ship under my SPs license since his license address is at another facility.

• Like 1

Review your state law

in my state I can not order sch 2 meds 

I have an account with them as a PA

Never ordered scheduled meds of any type!  But office medical supplies sure.   They have an account application you need to fill out.  I think I remember I did have to have doc sign something but not sure of this. 

• Upvote 2

• Administrator

I don't have an onsite SP at all.  McKesson needed my own license.  Henry Schein wanted something signed by my SP. For all of them, I have to have my house as the ship-to address because my clinic is only occupied a couple of days a week--I have better Internet at home, so why not do telemedicine from there?

• 5 months later...

I had to ask my collab doc to sign paperwork for Henry Schein. 

I don’t know if this affects you but be careful with using home address as business  address because DEA can now do unannounced visits to your home if you do so. 

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/GDP/(DEA-DC-052)(EO-DEA183) Home_as_Registered_Location.pdf

Edited by VentiMacchiato

• Administrator
3 hours ago, VentiMacchiato said:

I don’t know if this affects you but be careful with using home address as business  address because DEA can now do unannounced visits to your home if you do so.

It doesn't, thankfully.  When I was working sleep medicine, we tried to get Sonata on site to dispense from clinic stores when needed for a sleep study patient who couldn't sleep... Yeah, that sounded good in theory, but we ended up just giving the patient an Rx to fill at a pharmacy and having them bring the med with them.

Since then? Anything remotely controlled goes through a pharmacy, NOT my clinic.  I still have meds I can dispense on site... just zero controlled substances, and every med has a clear clinical purpose tied to my delegation agreement.

• Like 1