Low PANCE pass rate

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 3:17 AM, Lightup said:

What would you do if a school you were accepted into had a PANCE pass rate of 70-80%? Would it be concerning? The school has been around for about 5 years and is provisional. It is the only school I was accepted into. Thank you in advance

It really depends on the individual. Personally, I would as I wouldn't want to waste another year applying. The reason for low pass rates could be because with so many new PA programs, the quality of education will be compromised at some point, and they are making PANCE harder as well. My 2c is PANCE really has less to do with program, and more to do with individual and how he/she has prepared for the exam. Also, it really depends on what you make out of the program, and how much time and effort you put in the program. In my opinion, if you read Pance Prep from cover to cover, supplement with smarty pance, get a solid understanding of topic, do all practice questions from ROSH, you can pass PANCE. Good Luck!

Counter to the above is those pass rates may reflect a lack of institutional quality, lack of truly qualified applicants or a combination of both. If 2-3 out of every 10 can't pass a relatively straightforward board exam you need to consider whether that school will receive full accreditation, and if they don't there is no guarantee you'll get a transfer to another program.

Talk to some of the current students so you can make a more informed decision.

4 hours ago, Apollo1 said:

Counter to the above is those pass rates may reflect a lack of institutional quality, lack of truly qualified applicants or a combination of both. If 2-3 out of every 10 can't pass a relatively straightforward board exam you need to consider whether that school will receive full accreditation, and if they don't there is no guarantee you'll get a transfer to another program.

Talk to some of the current students so you can make a more informed decision.

I think the way it works, is if the school has accepted a cohort and classes start, even if ARC-PA pulls accreditation, they must graduate that class they accepted and the classes above it. They just cannot accept a new cohort. There is no transfer policy in PA programs. You always have to start fresh.

What is their trend from cohort to cohort? Did they have massive faculty turnover? Those stats are a huge red flag! I personally would run away!! You are paying a lot of money for PA school, so why risk a program with low stats? Just wondering if you were aware of their pass rate when you applied? You should definitely talk to current and former students to get an accurate assessment of why the rates are so low. 

Edited by 1madmamma