Need advice to prepare! Pa School starts in June

Hi everyone!

I have been accepted into a PA program that starts in June (yay!), but now I am going through resource options for pre-school and during didactic.

I know there are basically two camps on pre-studying, one that says 'don't study' and the other that says 'definitely review'; I feel like I am the review group. I cannot imagine not actively trying to refresh and prepare my brain for the next few months in an effort to prepare to be totally overwhelmed. I will not be studying every minute of every day, but just a few hours a week of getting my hands into material.
That being said, I am looking heavily into Onlinemeded for material for pre-studying/review, it seems to be a great investment and will give me the most bang for buck.

During didactic, I am a bit lost on a game plan. I found these notebooks, https://quillnotebooks.com/ ; they are not cheap, but neither is anything else. I plan to rely heavily on my professor's provided material and try to make my study material in class, in real time, in an effort to make the most of my time. But I do not want to waste the first several weeks in school just trying to figure out what works. I want to have it hammered out beforehand so I can go in strong and, instead of crawling out in the end, maybe I'll only be limping.

The question(s) revolve around the quill notebooks, are they worth the money? I am willing to invest in things that give the best ROI. And further, what did you find that worked best to get you ready for school and helped you perform the best during didactic?

Thanks!

I wouldn't be buying stuff now to help study for PA school. Your best "ROI" is to keep up with the material as it's presented and to be ready to change your study habits for different courses as you learn techniques work best for you in each.

Your program will have its own advice and teach in its own way. Our students have access to study guides for my lectures and all of my slides. I like them studying what I taught them because that's what is on the exams I had a hand in preparing.

As far as reviewing, at this point, I have two recommendations. First, I would review anatomy as -- to me anyway -- it was pure memorization and it takes a fair amount of your time in your early PA education. Second, I would review pathophysiology as it is the course that is the closest to the typical PA class.

But, more importantly, I would rest up, see your family and friends, and have some fun. You are not about to enter a dark time in your life but you will be entering a time of limited options for the above. 

Good luck! Hundreds of thousands of students have taken your path so it's certainly doable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UGoLong said:

I wouldn't be buying stuff now to help study for PA school. Your best "ROI" is to keep up with the material as it's presented and to be ready to change your study habits for different courses as you learn techniques work best for you in each.

Your program will have its own advice and teach in its own way. Our students have access to study guides for my lectures and all of my slides. I like them studying what I taught them because that's what is on the exams I had a hand in preparing.

As far as reviewing, at this point, I have two recommendations. First, I would review anatomy as -- to me anyway -- it was pure memorization and it takes a fair amount of your time in your early PA education. Second, I would review pathophysiology as it is the course that is the closest to the typical PA class.

But, more importantly, I would rest up, see your family and friends, and have some fun. You are not about to enter a dark time in your life but you will be entering a time of limited options for the above. 

Good luck! Hundreds of thousands of students have taken your path so it's certainly doable.

Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful reply. I agree with you on the notebooks, I'll stick to reviewing the beasts that are A & P!

• Like 1