Wording in job requirements not PA friendly.

Just spoke with hospital HR about the 10 NP positions vs 1 PA.  Any PA applications kicked out unless you are also RN. Managers, many nurse managershave worded positions for APP to require RN license. So new NP, no experience can qualify and PA with 20 years cannot. This is state that recently passed some good legislatio almost putting PAs on equal ground. Until hospital  nurses,  managers figured out a way to circumvent. HR automatically will kick out anyone that doesn’t have RN degree. BTW this is in specialty ER  and surgical positions. This info basically ruined an otherwise-good day.

48 minutes ago, ventana said:

Requires education.   Start a letter writing campaign then educate.  

it is like requiring an FNA certification to apply to OR.  Nope PA already gets you there.   

Nurses are in management positions. I doubt educating letter writing will provide any benefits. I’ve taken part in interviews where job description was written so carefully that only one preselected applicant would qualify. Could you imagine if PA manager worded a job description to prevent NPs from being hired. Nurse lobbies would raise heck. But they, nurses, will do anything to win.  and yes it is a battle that PAs are loosing terribly. 

The fight isn't lost because we fought a good fight.  It's lost because we gave up.  The old guard screwed the new PA generation with decades of apathy.  In my position I see it every day.  NP's are replacing PA's everywhere.  When I go into a facility to inspect them I see almost exclusively NP's now.  You guys really have no idea just how widespread this take over has been.  My own son is going to get his BSN now then NP....there is nothing I can say to persuade him to be a PA and it would be parental malpractice if I tried.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/16/2021 at 2:27 AM, iconic said:

lol let the place burn since they don't know any better

One question, exactly what can an NP, do that a PA can’t? What is it that makes RN with no experience newly graduated as NP better than 10 year paramedic turned PA? This is a serious question, is there a valid reason? They are not filling the shortages of nursing, so what is it?

Also, MASS Letter writing and becoming managers are a better option. It amazes me the people that say things like let the place burn or move to another location/state with better options. Unfortunately half of the US PAs are in a position or location that they may have no choice to just move. What happens when NP independent in all states, and like here, nearly half of leadership team and managers are nurses. where do you go then? . It is a very sad occurrence.

2 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

One question, exactly what can an NP, do that a PA can’t? What is it that makes RN with no experience newly graduated as NP better than 10 year paramedic turned PA? This is a serious question, is there a valid reason? They are not filling the shortages of nursing, so what is it?

Also, MASS Letter writing and becoming managers are a better option. It amazes me the people that say things like let the place burn or move to another location/state with better options. Unfortunately half of the US PAs are in a position or location that they may have no choice to just move. What happens when NP independent in all states, and like here, nearly half of leadership team and managers are nurses. where do you go then? . It is a very sad occurrence.

I never said NP independence isn't an issue (more like lack of our independence). I do not know how a hospital can function with only NPs particularly in surgical and EM fields. Certainly we should try to educate hiring managers and others about our skills and that we can do all the same things that NPs can. 

On 12/17/2021 at 7:39 PM, iconic said:

I never said NP independence isn't an issue (more like lack of our independence). I do not know how a hospital can function with only NPs particularly in surgical and EM fields. Certainly we should try to educate hiring managers and others about our skills and that we can do all the same things that NPs can. 

Two positions were ER, one general surgery, one cardiothoracic. Will train new NP.  PA's are basically screwed, few leaders care to acknowledge the fact and still believe  physicians and nurses are on their side.  They do not live in the real world. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ventana said:

People 

stop complaining and start doing something about it. 

it is YOUR profession at risk. 
start writing letters, making phone calls, applying to these jobs (just to have the conversations)

their is no fairy godmother if PA’s. It is you who needs to change the tide.  

Just so you know, I write about these issues to inform the PAs that blindly believe all is fine. They are so wrong and ignorant and or arrogant  in the position they hold to realize what is happening in many areas. I personally have written many letters, had friends write letters, called HR, spoken with legislators have been involved in meetings with CEO, CNO other health professionals and physicians. Sadly PAs who have been in their position for years have blinders and actually believe those people care about them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

Just so you know, I write about these issues to inform the PAs that blindly believe all is fine. They are so wrong and ignorant and or arrogant  in the position they hold to realize what is happening in many areas. I personally have written many letters, had friends write letters, called HR, spoken with legislators have been involved in meetings with CEO, CNO other health professionals and physicians. Sadly PAs who have been in their position for years have blinders and actually believe those people care about them. 

^^^^. This is what we need more of!!   Strong work!!!

22 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Kaiser

Maybe posted by an internal recruiter of Kaiser? I have noticed that some of these types of postings for hospital systems are usually by someone non-medical, like an internal recruiter. These people are usually not very well-versed in the nuances of medicine and are usually just following orders by some other admin, director, manager, CNO, etc...

51 minutes ago, SedRate said:

Maybe posted by an internal recruiter of Kaiser? I have noticed that some of these types of postings for hospital systems are usually by someone non-medical, like an internal recruiter. These people are usually not very well-versed in the nuances of medicine and are usually just following orders by some other admin, director, manager, CNO, etc...

I wish it were an oversight. The RN union there has a death grip on the organization and demands that wording or their nurses will complain/strike....You can look up "NP jobs" but not "PA jobs" on their site. To find PA jobs you must search NP/PA. At least the last time I checked. southern ca Kaiser was very PA friendly back then, but northern was not. 

10 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I wish it were an oversight. The RN union there has a death grip on the organization and demands that wording or their nurses will complain/strike....You can look up "NP jobs" but not "PA jobs" on their site. To find PA jobs you must search NP/PA. At least the last time I checked. southern ca Kaiser was very PA friendly back then, but northern was not. 

Why would the nurses complain/strike? Is it just to hold positions for their own? Seems like that is reducing access to medical care by limiting the number of candidates to fill these healthcare positions. What happened to being pt advocates? 

I specifically ask HR, they checked with clinical managerswho decide what and how to post. HR was specifically told to not accept PAs for the NP positions. Again, in all types of specialties, including  the ones PAs think are “safe” such as surgery and ER. They won’t give names and titles of section clinical managers, but the few I was able to find, 2 of 3 were nurses. As is the hospital director of APP and other professional positions, such as Pharmacy, PT. 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:29 AM, Hope2PA said:

I specifically ask HR, they checked with clinical managerswho decide what and how to post. HR was specifically told to not accept PAs for the NP positions. Again, in all types of specialties, including  the ones PAs think are “safe” such as surgery and ER. They won’t give names and titles of section clinical managers, but the few I was able to find, 2 of 3 were nurses. As is the hospital director of APP and other professional positions, such as Pharmacy, PT. 

It is difficult to change the minds of some managers, especially those who have had negative experiences with particular groups of people such as PAs and therefore won't accept anything but familiar nurses. 

Feel free to post the name of said organization so that they can receive education from PAs who won't take no and won't sit idle.

On a side note, it's a little frustrating to hear that nurses are managing things like PT and pharmacy... SMH

• Like 1