Employer fire me after lawsuit

I have read so many forums on here regarding lawsuits and I never thought I'd be in a lawsuit but I am with my previous supervising physician. Sad part is I did the right thing which is what probably caused this. 

Do you all know if I should disclose the potential claim to my current employer? Can they fire me or terminate me for having been involved in a suit? It is still in the preliminary phases and no suit has been filed yet. I think the other party is looking to settle without having to file a lawsuit. 

All I can say is that I am questioning my self-worth and I feel like such a disappointment and am wondering if I should be looking into different careers. I have definitely been a lot more careful and have learned from the situation but I am left feeling like I will be looked down up going forward. 

You have a few questions so I'll try to unpack them.

In my opinion you should disclose the potential claim. The worst thing you could do would be to surprise them with it later if things don't go well. At that point they might assume you were intentionally hiding something important. One of the mantras I live by is never let the boss be surprised by something you knew about. 

Can they fire you? Whether they can or can't would depend on the labor laws in your state. Here in Texas, as in other "at will" states you can be fired for almost anything as long as it isn't discrimination against a protected class.

Will they is the question. That would depend on what kind of an employer they are.

I'd tell you to keep you head up and everything will work out but it won't make you feel better. I promise there are better days ahead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As Scott said, you should definitely disclose this to your employer, and tell them where things stand.  If there is a settlement, you may wind up with an entry in the National Practitioner Databank.  Any good employer will know that if you work in medicine long enough you will be sued.  They will want to know the specifics and will look at it very differently depending upon your role in the matter and whether you did anything wrong.

If it's any consolation, I was sued as part of a large group of people for a patient I saw in the ED within my 1st year of working.  The suit was ultimately dropped by the plaintiff after they realized they didn't have a case.  I've reported it on relicensing in several states, licensing in a new state, and multiple hospital credentialing processes.  It's never been an issue, nor did my employer at the time do anything other than connect me with the med mal defense attorneys.  I've even seen a colleague who was the primary defendant in a lawsuit that got a large settlement for the plaintiff get hired by a different EM group.  So, report, don't hide, don't be too fearful, and expect that it could easily take 2 years to resolve.

• Upvote 1

Disclose it.  Having said that, locum work will prob be out for you.  Every single locum I worked for would always ask if I had been named in a lawsuit as their 1st question.  I was told by many that "their Insurance wouldn't allow them to hire anyone even named in a lawsuit"....BS, but after the 3rd locum company told me this I was like, well damn.