What is the actual clinical selection process like? How are the sites chosen?

While I have found lots of great info on clinicals, I really haven't found any details on the selection process. It sounds as though usually in-state preceptors may be available through the school and out of state locations have to be secured by those interested in it, is this true? That seems really stressful to be worried about finding preceptors in addition to everything else!

Is it competitive to obtain a certain preceptor? How do they chose students if only a few spots are available at one desirable location? Does the school just have a list of willing preceptors? I also worry that in finding my own preceptor, I may find someone who really doesn't know what to do with a student and it may not be the best for me- how do you ensure you choose the right preceptor?

Also, I currently work with several well connected doctors- that come from very good programs (hopkins, yale, harvard etc). Is it realistic to think they could set me up with a preceptor out of state?

Sorry for the many questions! Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm quite naive about this part of the process....

It completely depends on your program. There are some that hand you a clinical rotation schedule with no consideration for your interests or career goals and there are others that expect you to set up all your own rotations. Obviously most schools fall somewhere in between. This would be a very important question to ask at interviews or before.

Archived