ICU Pay….what do you think?

Hi everyone, there is a job posting for an ICU PA or NP in Oregon. It’s not in a major city, so cost of living isn’t insane.

What do you all think of this offer?

$990 per 12 hour night shift. There is a 159 shifts per year commitment. If you work more shifts then you get paid per shift at $990 per shift. Work 7 days on, 7 days off.

Full benefits and 403b. No PTO or sick leave. No overtime or holiday pay. No sick leave. $4000 for CME per year. Malpractice, DEA, PA society dues are all covered.

Yearly bonus based on the Intensivist service team hitting certain incentive metrics… about $20-25k potential. Supposedly they are successful at earning most if not all of it every year.

Work with an ICU MD who is always in house and will be sharing admits and pager calls. Average census about 25-35 high-acuity patients. 3-5 admits per night. Need to do central lines, a-lines, chest tubes, etc etc. 

So… if I work 159 shifts (about 13 per month) and I earn the full bonus, it’s about $183,000 per year. I can pick up extra shifts, so I could go up another 10k or more if I wanted more work.

Sound good?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Acinetobacter said:

Hi everyone, there is a job posting for an ICU PA or NP in Oregon. It’s not in a major city, so cost of living isn’t insane.

What do you all think of this offer?

$990 per 12 hour night shift. There is a 159 shifts per year commitment. If you work more shifts then you get paid per shift at $990 per shift. Work 7 days on, 7 days off.

Full benefits and 403b. No PTO or sick leave. No overtime or holiday pay. No sick leave. $4000 for CME per year. Malpractice, DEA, PA society dues are all covered.

Yearly bonus based on the Intensivist service team hitting certain incentive metrics… about $20-25k potential. Supposedly they are successful at earning most if not all of it every year.

Work with an ICU MD who is always in house and will be sharing admits and pager calls. Average census about 25-35 high-acuity patients. 3-5 admits per night. Need to do central lines, a-lines, chest tubes, etc etc. 

So… if I work 159 shifts (about 13 per month) and I earn the full bonus, it’s about $183,000 per year. I can pick up extra shifts, so I could go up another 10k or more if I wanted more work.

Sound good?

The no PTO will crush you after time.  I work exclusively nights, 10 shifts/mo and still feel overworked sometimes, although my wife does call me "Princess" every now and then...The rest of it is nice.  Manage airways? Bronch? Full procedural scope is a fantastic opportunity.

If you check out the Specialties subforum for critical care there's a thread discussing pay, schedule etc to give you an idea of where others are at.

Also make sure you're able to actually manage the patients rather than just being a note writer for the doc.  I don't recall, are you coming from an ICU background?

Can you tell me if this is in the central portion of the state or southern? Or DM me if it's in Eugene, I know a bit about the area.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1