Fairly New Grad GI offer. I think it's terrible, tell me your thoughts please!

Currently working at a covid site, work 44 hrs per week, contract so no benefits or anything. I make about $94,000 per year. I'm fairly new grad in FL (this is my first job after graduation) and have had a very hard time finding a job. I was lucky to be given this opportunity and took it. I like my job but I need to a clinic or hospital where I will learn and grow as a provider and I know I won't get that here. Also, this job is temporary and I don't know how long it will last so I have been applying just throwing the line out there to see if there are better opportunities for growth. I interviewed at a GI clinic and although everyone seemed nice and the doc very knowledgeable and I know I would learn a lot but the contract they are offering me seems like an immediate no. I am earning more now, with much less stress but not learning anything. Please let me know if there is anything I should ask more about, I don't have much practice as a new grad so any comments would be helpful! Here are the details:

• Salary: $75,000
  • Clinic pays for any professional licenses and  memberships 
  • Clinic pays for malpractice but I would have to pay for tail coverage in the event I am terminated and quit
  • 2 weeks PTO
  • 2 Long weekends off
  • 2 major holidays off 
  • 401K with employer matching (percentage not on contract)
  • No CME allowance was mentioned on the contract
  • Noncompete for 2 years in any GI clinic or Multispeciality clinic with 10 mile radius of the clinic
  • I would work every other weekend rounding and some days during the week in solely in the hospital once fully trained. 
  • There was mention in the interview of raises based on how the doctors "believe I am improving" but no set parameters mentioned on contract
  • There was mention in the interview of "making more money if I refer patients who get approved for clinical trials they are a part of" but nothing was mentioned on the contract.

PS: Checked the AAPA salary report and I would be in the 10% for salary in GI speciality in Florida with 0-1 yr of experience which is my situation.

Edited by DD2PA
Added AAPA salary info

People still accepting 75k or even considering it is shocking. That too without CME, a non-compete, pay for tail coverage yourself? This offer is insulting. If you are really concerned about learning, keep looking for other opportunities or attend some CME classes where you can learn certain skills and refresh your clinical knowledge, but don't accept anything less than 6 figures. The fact that they are even offering that means someone will take it, but nobody in their right might should accept this offer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, futurepa588 said:

People still accepting 75k or even considering it is shocking. That too without CME, a non-compete, pay for tail coverage yourself? This offer is insulting. If you are really concerned about learning, keep looking for other opportunities or attend some CME classes where you can learn certain skills and refresh your clinical knowledge, but don't accept anything less than 6 figures. The fact that they are even offering that means someone will take it, but nobody in their right might should accept this offer.

I agree. I applied thinking that the salary range might be just an estimate made BY indeed but nope! I was in shock during the interview that it really was that. I’m not taking the offer obviously just wanted to hear what others thought. I really need experience but I also have 3 other interviews lined up and am hopeful.  I am in no hurry to get a lesser paying job although I know I need experience. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Counter at least 85-90k, your first few years are about getting experience/learning and the money will follow, my first job was in UC/primary care and my start salary was 87k but I did learn a lot and built confidence as a provider. Within 6 months of that job, I already had 3 job offers and another interview that I turned down. If you think it's a good learning opportunity and aren't able to find another offer, make a  pro and cons list.