New grad question about licensing. Not sure what state I will end up working in. No strings attached.

Since I am unsure about what state I will end up working in, I don't know when and where I should get my license.  I was first under the impression that I could apply and then take care of licensing when I get a job offer.  However, a classmate told me I should get licensed in the meantime because its easier to switch states when you are already licensed.

I am unsure of how this process works.  Any advice?

Also, I have no strings attached; no kids and no significant other.  I am willing to move just about anywhere if the pay is right.  However if the pay is average here is a list of locations I am looking into:

Bowling Green Kentucky

Nashville Tennessee

Las Vegas Nevada

Phoenix Arizona

Denver Colorado

maybe Utah or Texas as well.

Getting a license can take a long time. It varies state by state. Employers are more likely to not interview you or offer you a position if you aren't licensed. Depending on the org getting you credentialed can take weeks to months and not having a license will slow the process further. usually they need someone within a reasonable amount of time and, if choosing between 2 similar candidates, will most likely choose the one that can be feet on the ground the fastest.

I can't speak for the other states. Texas doesn't have a bad practice environment generally BUT the physicians have a stranglehold on healthcare here and they do not want us to do anything but be their faithful whipping boy(s). If I was footloose I'd pick a state where OTP has already been enacted and then chase the money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There's a cost both in $ and in effort to obtaining a state license, usually at least $200 per state license.  So, that becomes a trade off in trying to be attractive to a potential employer because you're already license vs the cost to you.  Some will even want you to be credentialed by the state medicaid organization, the state workmen's comp organization, etc. 

Try to avoid getting your DEA for a given state until you know for certain you'll be working there.  That's $888 for each state.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Try to avoid getting your DEA for a given state until you know for certain you'll be working there.  That's $888 for each state.

DEA is MUCH faster than credentialing or licensing.  Pay the fee, have it in a week was my experience. So yeah, don't plunk down that money until you know you can make it back.

On 11/17/2021 at 3:47 PM, sas5814 said:

Getting a license can take a long time. It varies state by state. Employers are more likely to not interview you or offer you a position if you aren't licensed. Depending on the org getting you credentialed can take weeks to months and not having a license will slow the process further. usually they need someone within a reasonable amount of time and, if choosing between 2 similar candidates, will most likely choose the one that can be feet on the ground the fastest.

I can't speak for the other states. Texas doesn't have a bad practice environment generally BUT the physicians have a stranglehold on healthcare here and they do not want us to do anything but be their faithful whipping boy(s). If I was footloose I'd pick a state where OTP has already been enacted and then chase the money.

I looked up OTP but didn't really get a sense of which states may be better or worse.  Any recommendations based on your knowledge?

20 hours ago, rev ronin said:

If you're looking to go anywhere, does that include rural?  There are plenty of jobs 2+ hours away from the suburbs.

I am not opposed to rural.  I was hoping to move to rural after getting experience in bigger hospitals.  Another concern is my life outside of work if I was living rural.

How do you recommend finding rural jobs? 

Thank you all for the responses, looks like I should get my license even if I may not be working in that particular state.