Hourly wage for Correctional medicine

Hello Colleagues,

I found myself unemployed and is being offered an hourly wage job with no health benefits in correctional medicine. I have 5 yrs in correctional medicine experience and 4 years in FM experience. I have always worked with a salary with full benefits. What would be an industry standard hourly wage to ask for so I can cover my own medical insurance ( currently its $2400/family/month) and other expenses? Should I ask for $95/hr? $85/hr? Thanks ahead for your comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 11/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, AbeTheBabe said:

I can't fathom paying almost 30K a year for health insurance.

Displaying unfamiliarity with the market doesn't help the OP.

For a family of five, I was quoted $3,600 a month for COBRA coverage when I left my Fortune 100 company for PA school. I shudder to think what equivalent coverage would cost now.

4 hours ago, rev ronin said:

For a family of five, I was quoted $3,600 a month for COBRA coverage when I left my Fortune 100 company for PA school. I shudder to think what equivalent coverage would cost now.

I just went on to my state marketplace, and put my family of 4 info in there and it quoted me just over 1K a month for a "silver" plan 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, rev ronin said:

That seems like an unnecessarily harsh reply. You are aware that COBRA provides an extension of your current employer sponsored plan. By obtaining a different plan (via the ACA perhaps) it is likely much more affordable.

I just went onto the WA Healthplan Finder and the absolute most expensive plan I could find was $2k/mo for a family of 5 making 200k/yr. 

While we don't know what market the OP is in I am also extremely surprised at their price tag.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MediMike said:

I just went onto the WA Healthplan Finder and the absolute most expensive plan I could find was $2k/mo for a family of 5 making 200k/yr.

I pay 1700/month for 3 of us and this does not include dental or vision. This is off the marketplace site for my state and I discovered when my kid went off to college out of state that it will only cover emergencies, so had to buy a supplemental student policy for primary care and routine stuff.

As a 1099 employee, I write this off, but it is still painful. The income from one of my part time jobs covers this.

I would go back to being a benefited W2 employee in a heartbeat to avoid all the hassle, but a lot of the 1099 jobs are better than what is available out there in W2 positions.

• 1 month later...