Should I discuss my dad's suicide in my PS?

Hi everyone. I would like some guidance. I lost my dad a little over a year ago and wonder if mentioning this would be acceptable. I am passionate about mental health issues and would want to work in mental health after graduation. That is assuming I get accepted, etc. Also I had my first child at 17 and my second child at 19. I completed an A.A.S in Medical Laboratory Technology and went back and completed my B.S in Bio. I have worked for the last 11 years as a MT. I obviously have overcame many challenges and I can't imagine a PS that does not mention my challenges and accomplishments inspite of. Opinions?

Very sorry to hear about that. My suggestion would be to include it if this has prompted you to apply to PA school or take a certain direction in life. While including it though, I think it is important that it is written in a way that it is not made to seem like you're trying to share a "sob story" but rather trying to explain your motivation. As PAMAC says, you also don't want it to be the focus of your essay.

Archived