Anyone ever left residency early?

Has anyone ever left their residency early, or know if there are any long-standing consequences in doing so? I’m currently 10 months through my 12 month residency program, and the seemingly “job of my dreams” has just come around - but they want to immediately hire. 😑 My residency is not formally accredited, and there is no CAQ attached to my specialty. I’ve been told that license renewals (at the state level?) will always contain a question as to whether or not you ever had to leave or didn’t complete a residency program…so now I’m wondering if I’d have to be on the defensive for the rest of my career, explaining that I left my residency early because an amazing job opportunity came along. Or would employers somehow find out and look down on this? I truly have enjoyed my time in residency, and certainly had no intentions of wanting to exit early when I started. The only reason I even applied for a job so early is because I had heard so many employers need at least 60 days for credentialing, so I thought the timing would line up just right at the end of my residency. Alas. This job is exactly what I want and I’m really struggling with whether or not I’m “required” to finish my program, and I just have no idea of what the potential consequences would be if I left 2 months early. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

20 hours ago, PAP123 said:

Has anyone ever left their residency early, or know if there are any long-standing consequences in doing so? I’m currently 10 months through my 12 month residency program, and the seemingly “job of my dreams” has just come around - but they want to immediately hire. 😑 My residency is not formally accredited, and there is no CAQ attached to my specialty. I’ve been told that license renewals (at the state level?) will always contain a question as to whether or not you ever had to leave or didn’t complete a residency program…so now I’m wondering if I’d have to be on the defensive for the rest of my career, explaining that I left my residency early because an amazing job opportunity came along. Or would employers somehow find out and look down on this? I truly have enjoyed my time in residency, and certainly had no intentions of wanting to exit early when I started. The only reason I even applied for a job so early is because I had heard so many employers need at least 60 days for credentialing, so I thought the timing would line up just right at the end of my residency. Alas. This job is exactly what I want and I’m really struggling with whether or not I’m “required” to finish my program, and I just have no idea of what the potential consequences would be if I left 2 months early. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

The question regarding leaving a residency early applies to ACGME residencies (MD/DO), not what we currently have for our profession.  I supposed a disclaimer would be that I am not part of a medical board but and almost 100% sure that nobody cares about what we do 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

There was someone who left my residency program early, but it was because she realized it wasn't the right fit for her (or she wasn't the right fit for it). If you've only got two months left, it's probably worth finishing. Your onboarding for that new job will take a minute anyways, so you can probably do both.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd vote that you finish given that you're so close. Credentialing commities at hospitals typically meet only once per month, so that likely buys you another month at least before you'd start. Your dream job can "hire" you immediately the that likelihood of you starting soon is low, I believe. Finishing the residency just sounds good when applying to future jobs, being able to say that you COMPLETED a residency in critical care (rather than saying you almost did).

To answer your other question: yes, I left a residency early. No repercussions with state license renewal (just did that as well). I just list the experience as normal work experience on my resume. If someone asks then I have an honest answer/reason for leaving - it wasn't a good fit for me.

• Like 1