Hey guys! 

Ive been feeling very defeated recently. This is my first cycle applying to PA school, I applied to about 30 programs (I wanted to optimize my chances and saved money for about 2 years to do this) and I’ve received 6 rejections so far. I know I still have a lot of programs to hear back from but I just feel like my chances are slim. 

A little background, I graduated in 2019 with a subpar GPA and made some mistakes in undergrad so I spent 2 years retaking every science class i didn’t initially do well in and took some more upper level science courses as well (altogether approx took 60 credits.) I also have been working nights as an ER Scribe and previously worked as a PT Aide and Pharm tech. 

Stats this cycle- 
Cgpa- 3.1
Sgpa- 3.09 
GRE- quant: 147, verbal- 153, writing-4.5 
PCE- approx 2000 as an ER scribe, 200 as PT Aide, 150 as Pharm tech 
Shadowing: 50 hours some with ER PA and some with Oncology PA
I also have some HCE and leadership but nothing too crazy 

I have a huge Howard’s trend but I fear this may not be enough and want to make myself a better applicant for next cycle so what do you guys recommend? I did the math and for me to get my gpa to a 3.3 I’d need to take about 45 credits this only seems feasible through a masters program but not sure if that’s worth it. I’d love any advice. 

Thanks in advance!

I can't speak directly to the value of a master's program but here are my thoughts:

1. Evaluate the cost and time of a master's program versus just taking additional classes. If the end goal is to raise your GPA and show that you're capable of the work, I'd look to see what your out-of-pocket expense would be for either as well as the time it would take to complete each route.

2. Look at what classes you could take and what value they'd add to your application. I'd recommend upper level science courses but I would also look at related social science classes if that's an option. They'd only boost your overall GPA but things like Abnormal Psych or Death and Dying are totally applicable and can often be done cheaply/online through a community college.

3. Continue to rack up HCE/PCE hours. Aim for depths of experience, not just breadth. If you're able to demonstrate an increased level of responsibility in a role that shows more dedication than grabbing a bunch of random hours from places you weren't at for very long. If you're able to move in to a position with more hands-on work than scribing then I would pursue that as well.

4. Keep shadowing to show that you really understand the profession. 

5. Narrow down your school list. I totally get why people cast a wide net but I think you'd have better luck if you focused on schools that are a good match for you. You'd also have more time to dedicate to each application if you halved your list. Supplemental essays are a great way to set yourself apart. 

6. Start working on your personal statement and experience descriptions now. If you have to reapply, you can't expect to just add more hours/more classes and call it good. Consider each experience entry a mini essay and really work to ensure that you're shining in each one.

7. Is there a state PA organization you can join? Are you eligible for any certifications or additional training? Seek those out and add them to your app.

Hope that helps!

Your grades make you a marginal candidate at some programs since many view your academic performance in the past as the best predictor in how you would do in a PA program. Since programs have to report on the website what percent of their students make it through, they really don't want to take too many risks.

You might want to look into programs that emphasize academics in the last "n" credits (such as the last 60), rather than the overall. That way you can get additional credits (if you need them) to meet their goals. I don't know which schools look at the last "n" credits, but a search on this forum may be a help.

As far as getting a masters, I would suggest that the expense would only be worth it if the masters would open the door to something you'd like to do in case you don't become a PA.

Best wishes.