ED Tech or CNA

Hello All!

I've been a member of this forum since I began pursuing a second career as a PA over a year and a half ago. I have found this site to be extremely helpful during this process and appreciate the time alot of the regulars put into helping us pre- PAs.

My question - I currently work full-time in a medical ICU as an CNA but have an opportunity to obtain a position as an ED tech in the CDU. What position do you feel would better prepare me for PA school and strengthen my application?

Thanks in advance!!

Tough call. Can you do both? Work one per diem? My experience working in a busy ED was that I had great exposure to many different types of situations, including trauma team but rarely had enough time to ask questions. I really didn't learn much that has helped thus far in school, aside from what the flow of a busy ED is like. I was too busy cleaning rooms, transferring patients, getting vitals, dressing patients, go-fering etc. Do you have a good learning environment now? If so I'd stay where you are. If you're feeling stagnant and emergency medicine interests you, make the switch.

Sorry I'm not much help.

No that was great advice! Thank you. I do have a good learning environment in the ICU but as a tech i feel there would be more opportunity to assess and examine patients. I am honestly back and forth. I would ideally like to do both but would lose my full tuition reimbursement and benefits. I would do it though if I thought it would give me better experience. Thanks again!

No that was great advice! Thank you. I do have a good learning environment in the ICU but as a tech i feel there would be more opportunity to assess and examine patients.

Your role as a tech in the ED definitely does not include assessment and examination of patients. You might be in the room while the PA of physician is doing these things, but then you'll have to leave to go walk a patient to the bathroom or any one of a million different things. Sounds like you're set up pretty well now, think I'd stay.

I think it really depends on the doctors and nurses you'll be working with. I'm an ER tech now and have been taught and nurtured by the staff here. Often times I'm taken to see various patients and look at various test / imaging results and the staff explains how to interpret them and what to look for. It's really up to you to want to learn and have people willing to teach you. Yes I do walk patients to the bathroom, take vitals, and etc... But Im learning tremendously. So contrary to what Randito has experienced mine as been the complete opposite.

Archived