EM job new grad

Looking for thoughts on a job in EM as a new grad. They offer training pay $50 /hr for 6 months and a 12% increase after 6 months. No PTO/sick. I have reviewed the salary report and seems to be in the 10-25th percentile. How many shifts would be “normal” to work in EM? This is my dream speciality to work in and would be relocating. 

Edited by aopa18
New grad

• aopa18 changed the title to EM job new grad

Thoughts:

• $50/hour is low, even for a starting/training rate.  Is this a low cost of living area?
  • $56/hour is low, I was at that 8 years ago in a low-moderate cost of living area
  • Number of shifts depends on length of shifts.  10-14/month is typical, with usual goals of 120-150 hours/month
  • EM jobs are hard to get as a new grad, though the market for experienced EM PA's has improved significantly in the past 3-6 months.  ~5 years experience is typically the transition point to being considered experienced.
  • No PTO/sick time is common in EM since you'll be only working 10-14 days/month.
  • Be sure you ask about med mal, especially tail.
  • Be sure you ask about other benefits: health, vision, dental insurance, 401K, CME allowance

This is for your consideration - only you can decide what's right for you.

• Like 2

@ohiovolffemtpthank you so much for the input! I also feel that it is low but it is in a low-moderate COL area. The shifts are mostly 10s and occasional 12s so I would definitely be shooting for the 150 per month (minimum 120). However, the benefits including 401k,CME and malpractice/tail are excellent.

It is truly hard to break into EM without experience(but how do you ever start) and I would also be able to do all of the procedures in the ED because there are no EM residents.

Even though the wage is very low, I am strongly considering it to get experience but want to make sure Im not being taken advantage of either! 

• Upvote 1