Independent Psych in WA

Hi, lovely and expert fellows on PA Forum! 

I am considering a move to psychiatry under the supervision of an MD who values autonomy and training. I want to work predominantly with trauma survivors, both in psychotherapy and psychopharmacology. I am seeking basically ANY advice from anybody who might know anything about starting an LLC for this type of practice, reimbursement, or any other pearls of wisdom. 

Thank you in advance for generously sharing your expertise - I am very grateful. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, oceanmedicinetravelpa said:

Hi! I actually saw your post about some voting being done in 2014 for the PA owned headache clinic you ran/own. I looked into it and saw it's closed now. I just thought it was really cool it was PA owned and was just wondering why it closed down? Did you just want a change? If that's not something you want to answer, that's okay! Thank you!

The simple answer is that the fight with insurance companies to get paid took the fun out of medicine. Our number one insurer in our area, after telling me they would contract with me, then refused all claims. It was a five year battle with them, even meeting with the VP of the company. However, my competitors, neurologists, voiced to the insurance companies not to do business with a PA-owned practice. I started a law suit against them, however my lawyers said it would cost me at least 200 K to fight them in court, and in the end, the most I would get out would be a contract. Medicine stopped being fun, so I got out as owner, selling out to a local hospital.

• Sad 1

• 10 months later...