drastic career changers

How did you break the news to people at work? Everyone is expecting me to apply for faculty jobs and have not the slightest idea that I am about to start preparing to get into PA school as soon as I get my PhD. As weird and crazy as all this sounds to a lot of people, I am equally excited and nervous! Right now only my dad, husband and PAs at his current work know (since I will be shadowing for them). We agreed not to tell anyone else until I get accepted (just in case I don't). Thankfully we will be moving 18 hrs away right around graduation so at least I won't have to be physically around my friends/coworker and can avoid the questions. Right now I am telling them I am still looking for jobs!! I just don't think they will understand.

You didn't mention what you got your PhD in, but won't you have to work for the next two years? I would probably try to get a 1/2 or 3/4 time job in my field while finishing up pre-reqs and applying. Unless you're taking classes your application year, you don't have anything to do except wait (which will drive you insane).

You haven't mentioned many details about your situation, so my general advice is:

If you can apply earlier than year from now, even if you have (2 or less) outstanding classes, then you should do so and get started. I'm assuming that you're worried about what other people are going to say because you've just spent X years and $XXX,XXX getting your PhD, and you think they are going to judge you. Honestly, you sound unsure about the decision yourself. Get confident that you're making the right choice and it won't matter what others think about it. There is a ton of great advice on this forum about how to strengthen your application, so check the archives as well. A large portion of the non-traditional students that go to PA school are "drastic career changers" so you're not alone out here.

I have another post that had more details in it. So I don't want to write it again, if you dont mind. Can I apply without anatomy and Physiology? I had the impression that I need to be close done to finishing up requirements by application. Due to location, I am only applying to one program and according to their website requires 100 hce which they say volunteering and shadowing counts. I plan on meeting with the program this year so they know I am interested and can get more information about the prereqs.

Regarding the unsureness, I am sure I just don't think they would understand. Why would I go back to school after 6 yrs of phd when I can just find a job!? My close friends will just take a day to get over it but people at work, the faculty, I am not ready to answer their questions of why this is not it for me. I also don't have any loans since I was on a scholarship. And yes as much as I try not to it will sting being judged.

Also should I even bother shadowing for my husband? Will they count it or think I am makinup the hours? He is an MD.

I should add the program I am applying to starts in the summer with a Nov application deadline. It is a 27 month program. My plan is to get 200 hce by the time I apply and then maybe work as an MA in th meantime. I am lucky in that my husband will be a great help for finding me friends I can shadow and places I can work temporarily as an MA.

I am not a PA interviewer so don't take my word as a golden rule but if I were you, I would not apply to any PA program without having anatomy and physiology. Personally if I was an evaluator of students and I had an applicant of a PA program come across my desk with no A&P exposure, I would toss it in the garbage "I wouldn't think they were serious".

I'm working my way up through things to get ready to apply to someone's PA program (looking at bachelors programs because of the money saved) but everyone I come into contact knows, I am striving to become a physician assistant (I am not scared to tell them that here at work).

Thank you Tonev. It is my original and still my plan to wait for next year's deadline. By then I should have:

1. taken ALL pre-reqs (I currently have a 3.9cGPA and 3.9sGPA both from undergrad and grad school) and will work hard to get A's in Anatomy and Phys

2. re-take GRE (since mine is about 7 yrs old). And hope to do as well, last time I got a 760 on the math/quantitative and the rest were also high just not quite like my math. How important is the GRE score?!

3. 100 HCE hours (hopefully half shadowing and half as an MA) --they said do not apply unless you have at least 80. The rest of my waiting time will be spent accumulating more hours and hope to be at 500-800 by the time I start.

Do you think this is strong enough for this type of program?

It is hard for me because most will think that this is a step-down (prestige wise). Maybe that is true but I am looking for quality of life and the fact that I know I my life will be more rewarding and I will be a happier person overall. I am at the end (time to be looking at progressing and looking for faculty jobs) and this really came out of nowhere to most people at work. Most of the faculty will be greatly disappointed.

Archived