two jobs, not enough time?

So I recently scored 2 jobs. One full time phlebotomy position at a hospital (which works from 11pm-7am and an emergency department Scribe which is mostly 24hrs a week with one week out of the month I need to work 36 hours. Should I keep both jobs or am I overdoing it. I just graduated with a 3.4 overall and I think 3.2 science. I have no health care experience but I do have 150 hours of shadowing.

I personally work full time as a PCT at a hospital, and from my experience... Taking on both of these positions will be a little much. It is very exhausting and I think two full time jobs would be overwhelming. You will accumulate plenty of hours and experience in just one of the positions. I don't think adcom's expect anyone to work two full time jobs to get experience. I think the phlebotomist would be better because some schools don't count scribes as HCE, but you should check with the schools you are interested in applying for.

From an hour standpoint, you'll be fine...so long as you're not taking classes. My last year before PA school, I was working 84 hours/week- 24 hours on with the fire department on a rotating "24 on, 72 off" schedule, and in between doing overnight 12-hr shifts as an ER tech. It's doable in the short-term. Do what you have to do to get where you want to get!

if you're no longer in school and have no other obligations then why not? i worked crazy hours so i could save up for PA school. not to mention the more hours you have the better your future PA school app will be, especially since your gpa is average. i would hold on to the scribe position, i think seeing H & P's along with the diagnosis and treatment would be very beneficial for PA school, especially if you are reading up on what you see. Phlebotomist will allow you the direct patient contact which is equally as important. if you can do PCT that would be even better. Where i live PCT certification is similar to CNA certification. Ask the techs in the ER how to go about becoming one. they may be CNAs, EMT-B's, or nursing students

if you get burnt out after a few months you can always quit a job, but i wouldnt quit one this early on.

Guest hubbardtim48

It can be done. Sit down and write a schedule out so you don't sit around wasting time. Tons of people have done the same thing you are doing for years, including myself. I always take my study material with me while I am at work and look at it anytime I have free. Good luck and God bless!

Archived