Another DMSc program

On 9/14/2021 at 7:25 PM, rev ronin said:

I categorically excluded from my own consideration any doctorate that had "PA" in any form in the degree abbreviation.  I hope other students do too.

I am 90% certain I will be doing a DHSc/DMSc in the next few years and have completely excluded any program that calls itself a doctor of physician assistant studies or similar. Are you kidding me? I hope we all vote with our feet and they are forced to change the names, or just stop existing. Also, a few years ago there was at least a resolution at AAPA to support the idea that MMS/MMSc become the standard degree for our profession. Anyone know if that went anywhere?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, lemurcatta said:

I am 90% certain I will be doing a DHSc/DMSc in the next few years and have completely excluded any program that calls itself a doctor of physician assistant studies or similar. Are you kidding me? I hope we all vote with our feet and they are forced to change the names, or just stop existing. Also, a few years ago there was at least a resolution at AAPA to support the idea that MMS/MMSc become the standard degree for our profession. Anyone know if that went anywhere?

If I were hiring PAs, I would be inclined to not hire someone who's gotten a Doctorate of Advanced Physician Assistant Studies or anything quite so stupid: by the time you're accomplished enough to pursue doctoral studies, you should be thinking more expansively and globally than that.  I dislike MPAS as well, although I appreciate that it's substantially different than the MS I have in PA studies: I hold two different MS degrees: guess which one includes 90 more semester hours? Yeah, the PA one.  But at least it isn't some novel degree title that will be gone in 10-20 years.  If I'm showing my CV to someone in 20-30 years, there's no question what an MS is, even if they may misunderstand how much work it really was.

• Like 2