Another DMSc program

On 9/14/2021 at 7:25 PM, rev ronin said:

I categorically excluded from my own consideration any doctorate that had "PA" in any form in the degree abbreviation.  I hope other students do too.

I am 90% certain I will be doing a DHSc/DMSc in the next few years and have completely excluded any program that calls itself a doctor of physician assistant studies or similar. Are you kidding me? I hope we all vote with our feet and they are forced to change the names, or just stop existing. Also, a few years ago there was at least a resolution at AAPA to support the idea that MMS/MMSc become the standard degree for our profession. Anyone know if that went anywhere?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, lemurcatta said:

I am 90% certain I will be doing a DHSc/DMSc in the next few years and have completely excluded any program that calls itself a doctor of physician assistant studies or similar. Are you kidding me? I hope we all vote with our feet and they are forced to change the names, or just stop existing. Also, a few years ago there was at least a resolution at AAPA to support the idea that MMS/MMSc become the standard degree for our profession. Anyone know if that went anywhere?

If I were hiring PAs, I would be inclined to not hire someone who's gotten a Doctorate of Advanced Physician Assistant Studies or anything quite so stupid: by the time you're accomplished enough to pursue doctoral studies, you should be thinking more expansively and globally than that.  I dislike MPAS as well, although I appreciate that it's substantially different than the MS I have in PA studies: I hold two different MS degrees: guess which one includes 90 more semester hours? Yeah, the PA one.  But at least it isn't some novel degree title that will be gone in 10-20 years.  If I'm showing my CV to someone in 20-30 years, there's no question what an MS is, even if they may misunderstand how much work it really was.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 12/19/2022 at 1:36 PM, MediMike said:

These programs which add on a semester for their grads but multiple for others drive me crazy. It’s a money grab. I’m assuming their argument is that their students got a higher level of education than anyone else so they only need an extra semester?

In the case of Pacific's, it's because their DMSc is DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) focused and only the last few years' worth of students got the whole a DEI-focused curriculum.

Personally, I picked a less politically-focused DMSc, but one that had plenty in Community Needs Assessment and Social Determinants of Health. I assess that as less likely to be considered dated in a few years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2023 at 1:01 PM, EMEDPA said:

Butler now has options for their DMSc for critical care and ortho. If I was graduating today, I would do the critical care pathway at this program. 

https://www.butler.edu/pharmacy-health/doctor-medical-science/degree/curriculum/

When I was asking for a reference my program director told me about this. It will also eventually move to a certificate for those with a DMS. Looks to be a pretty good curriculum. May consider doing the certificate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 12:50 PM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

When I was asking for a reference my program director told me about this. It will also eventually move to a certificate for those with a DMS. Looks to be a pretty good curriculum. May consider doing the certificate.

You'll look great with a hammer in your hand 😉

I'd ask what text they are using prior to paying any extra for anything, as well as who is in charge of their critical care concentration.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:32 PM, MediMike said:

You'll look great with a hammer in your hand 😉

I'd ask what text they are using prior to paying any extra for anything, as well as who is in charge of their critical care concentration.

In my review, it seemed to mostly surround resuscitation of various critical pathology. I believe the guy teaching it is EM, but did something with this critical care program for his DMS project. 

really I would be doing it more as a way to get into teaching EM/critical care certification at their program or another. I offered my services to the PD, hoping my residency training would be enough. No bite yet. 

probably not worthy of a critical care stud like you @MediMike. I’d take your master class any day! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

probably not worthy of a critical care stud like you @MediMike. I’d take your master class any day

LOL I don’t know about all that my friend. Maybe we trade pathways down the road when I want to retire from this and do some nice rural EM.

I mean I DID see up a guys face the other day. He had a severe anoxic injury post arrest from a PE and we were starting heparin so didn’t want him to bleed out but still…I did it! And maybe all I had at the time was 2-0 nylon…and maybe you can just call me the conductor because I Amtrak’d the hell out of it…but it still counts. I pretty much do EM.

Well that’s neat, I’ve been looking at their curriculum and just wondering what material they’re planning on teaching. If you wouldn’t mind going ahead and doing it first then I’ll see if I wanna? 😂 Good to see you on here!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 1:30 PM, MediMike said:

LOL I don’t know about all that my friend. Maybe we trade pathways down the road when I want to retire from this and do some nice rural EM.

I mean I DID see up a guys face the other day. He had a severe anoxic injury post arrest from a PE and we were starting heparin so didn’t want him to bleed out but still…I did it! And maybe all I had at the time was 2-0 nylon…and maybe you can just call me the conductor because I Amtrak’d the hell out of it…but it still counts. I pretty much do EM.

Well that’s neat, I’ve been looking at their curriculum and just wondering what material they’re planning on teaching. If you wouldn’t mind going ahead and doing it first then I’ll see if I wanna? 😂 Good to see you on here!

Did the edges come together? Then welcome to EM, my friend! Where it seems like most have the motto "good enough!" Feeling jaded lately about my own specialty these days. 

I'm always lurking, just don't have the time/energy to post like I did. Got a lot of irons in a lot of different fires. CME lectures, building up capital for future jobs, considering med school, lead APP position, personally finishing my basement framing and all. Not enough time these days.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Did the edges come together? Then welcome to EM, my friend! Where it seems like most have the motto "good enough!" Feeling jaded lately about my own specialty these days. 

I'm always lurking, just don't have the time/energy to post like I did. Got a lot of irons in a lot of different fires. CME lectures, building up capital for future jobs, considering med school, lead APP position, personally finishing my basement framing and all. Not enough time these days.

Do it! Shouldn't be hard to match EM these days...same job, more respect, more free time, much better lifestyle...would still do it in my mid-50s if single. 

7 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

Do it! Shouldn't be hard to match EM these days...same job, more respect, more free time, much better lifestyle...would still do it in my mid-50s if single. 

With 555 open slots and 48 open after SOAP, probably not haha! It’s a one path I’m actively pursuing. I have until spring 2025 for PSLF. So not much will happen until then, but the day it happens I’m going to be making a lot of life changes. 

• Like 2