Sign in to follow this  

*Online Labs*

I'm interested in applying to PA school at Southeastern. I know they except online prerequisites, but they require all labs are done in person. My question is how will they know if you did it online or not if the transcript doesn't state it. I know some some people would say because the school was in a different place than you live, but I know plenty of community colleges by me who give online labs. If anyone knows the answer or has been through a similiar process let me know. I'm just avoiding taking classes that I have already previously completed.

Guest hubbardtim48

Lying won't get you many places. Suck it up and take the freaking lab. It will be good hands on experience and if you want to go to that school then do what you have to do. There is no easy way in my friend....sorry to burst your bubble.

How can you take labs online? The whole point of a lab is hands-on experience. A virtual organic chem lab, as I imagine it, would basically allow you to input instructions from the manual and get the desired yield from the experiment. Ask anyone who's spent two hours longer than the five hours most orgo labs require to get it right...there is no comparison. Imagine a physician or PA who never dissected a cadaver in Gross Anatomy lab, or learned clinical skills on a computer instead of in the real world. That's a ridiculous concept! Any school that allows such things sounds like it's not preparing competent students.

And I agree with the previous posters. Lying about your experience and education is unethical. In the medical profession, ethics are paramount.

How can you take labs online? The whole point of a lab is hands-on experience. A virtual organic chem lab, as I imagine it, would basically allow you to input instructions from the manual and get the desired yield from the experiment. Ask anyone who's spent two hours longer than the five hours most orgo labs require to get it right...there is no comparison. Imagine a physician or PA who never dissected a cadaver in Gross Anatomy lab, or learned clinical skills on a computer instead of in the real world. That's a ridiculous concept! Any school that allows such things sounds like it's not preparing competent students.

And I agree with the previous posters. Lying about your experience and education is unethical. In the medical profession, ethics are paramount.

Kind of apples and oranges here. I took an orgo lab online that was accepted by my program. I will agree with you that the difficulty level in terms of functionality and technicalilties in a lab rather than online is much greater, but who cares? I mean who cares in relation to your PA education, as long as you have the basic foundation/concepts. Is it going to matter whether or not you did a specific orgo lab in the lab or online when it comes to your PA curriculum? No, because you wont see much Orgo in your coursework anyways (at least I havent seen it on my curriculum or have heard from many that it was a flat out waste of time in undergrad). It matters in which subject your talking about IMO. If you took a cadaver lab online, then there is an argument.

Kind of apples and oranges here. I took an orgo lab online that was accepted by my program. I will agree with you that the difficulty level in terms of functionality and technicalilties in a lab rather than online is much greater, but who cares? I mean who cares in relation to your PA education, as long as you have the basic foundation/concepts. Is it going to matter whether or not you did a specific orgo lab in the lab or online when it comes to your PA curriculum? No, because you wont see much Orgo in your coursework anyways (at least I havent seen it on my curriculum or have heard from many that it was a flat out waste of time in undergrad). It matters in which subject your talking about IMO. If you took a cadaver lab online, then there is an argument.

yes organic chem was completely useless for PA school. i honestly dont remember anything about that class or what we did in lab other than mixing a bunch of stuff together and heating it up to make a powder, which usually ended up not being a powder. it does not need to be a PA school prereq. the only useful lab for PA school would be A & P lab (for obvious reasons) and perhaps microbiology (to practice using the microscope which u may someday use for wet preps, etc and for practicing gram stains)... these should be taken in "real life"

Thank you to the last two replies. I figured someone would give me an answer other than be honest, I have taken a few class in person, but two classes I didn't, I kind of figured Pre reqs don't make a good pa, it is the core pa curriculum that does.

One of the schools I plan to apply to has the same requirement. Their rationale is that PA students should have experience with the smells, sights, and sounds of a real-life lab. Furthermore, they should have skills with the microscope and scalpel.

FWIW, I have taken my prereq courses online as well. I've been stationed overseas for 2 years, so this was my only option. But I plan to push Micro and OChem off until I return to the States, and I will retake my A&P and BIO II labs. My current school will not list my courses as online on my transcript, but honesty is always the best policy.

Are you finished with your prereqs? If so, I know my undergrad alma mater was happy to admit students to just the laboratory portion of a class, without having to enroll in the lecture. This approach might help you save some $$$$. Besides, it will probably only require another 6 or so hours of coursework, as opposed to retaking the whole course.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I never said I wasn't going to honest, but I noticed some PA schools don't list if they take online courses or not. My plan was to submit, and if the question doesn't come up, than there would be no reason to say anything. RHC, I am also in the military and have done plenty of labs and real life situations in combat when it comes to working with medicine. I took 2 online labs in chemistry and didn't think it would be a big deal to become a PA with online labs. It appears some people believe an online chemistry class would create terrible doctors. Last I recalled sick call didn't require any chemistry other than taking samples to the lab and letting them tell you the results. That just me though. Thanks for serving brother. Last question, has anyone been asked by schools that doesn't clearly state on their website if any of your pre reqs were taken online?

A lot of these programs have concordance charts, so to speak, or when evaluating your transcript, they quickly look up the course description from your school's website. They'll see it then, even if it's not explicitly stated on your transcript.

Guest hubbardtim48

If you can't understand the basics from undergrad. and apply it to PA school, then how can you become a good PA? A solid undergrad. is NEEDED to do well and learn what you are suppose to in PA school. Cutting corners in undergrad. will only hurt you in the long run. If you have access to a CC or University that offers the lab, then I would take the "hands on" lab, but if you live 45 mins away from a school (like me) then I would THINK about it. I never did any labs online because I knew it would take away from the real world experience. So, I sucked it up and drove the 45 mins. to my University to do the classes that I needed. You can't learn how to ride a bike unless you first learn how to walk.

PAMAC, that's a crappy A & P lab if all you did was computer work and basic skills. In my labs we studied real cadavers for the muscles, dissected pig hearts and sheep brains as well as did tests on urine, muscle contractions and reflexes. It would have been impossible for the lab at my university to have been online, which is why it isn't offered that way.

Jacobvan01, I've taken some online courses and they are always a lot easier than the actual ones. I took OChem lab with someone who got 109% in one of the lecture classes from taking it online, and in my classes extra credit wasn't available (from the same university) and no one got even close to 100%. It's reasonable for a school to expect hands on work and it would be unfair to people who had it harder than you who applied honestly. Just do the right thing and you'll benefit from the experience in one way or another. I hated all the chemistry, bio and microbio labs, but I know if I'm ever in a situation where I need to use some of that equipment I will be more familiar and more comfortable in the setting in general from taking these labs in person.

I missed one of your middle comments about being honest. You have to enter either "regular" or "online course" on CASPA when you apply, so they'll know right away. If they don't specify then they probably don't care.

If you can't understand the basics from undergrad. and apply it to PA school, then how can you become a good PA? A solid undergrad. is NEEDED to do well and learn what you are suppose to in PA school. Cutting corners in undergrad. will only hurt you in the long run.

taking a lab online while in the military is not "cutting corners" in my book...

regardless, taking a lab like organic chem online is not going to make a difference in anyones PA education. that is why organic chem (or its LAB) is not a universal prerequisite. i dont remember a d*mn thing from that class and i dont care to. I did fine in PA school.

to actually answer the OP's question, if you took a class online and the school requires all classes to be taken in person then dont apply. apply somewhere that will accept your coursework. if they dont explicitly state that they dont accept online classes then i doubt your online chem lab will make a difference in your PA school application.

Just be honest on the app. You may be surprised at the flexibility of schools on the issue when they see the reason behind it(military).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

i think its completely lame for programs to care about the online vs in person labs, but its reasonable for them to ask for and get an honest answer.

within the last couple years i took anat and phys again to have more current credits, and the online lab i took for it used the exact same software that i used the first time i took anat and phys at another university (where i showed up to a class and logged on a computer). the in person lab had us take blood pressure readings and also do some things that you basically learn in a cna course, and that was it.

i think a lot of that is in the same league as protectionism to some degree. i was a TA for a professor that had an excellent class set up. great powerpoints. when i took the course from him previously, i got an A, and only went to the first day of class. the next semester, when i was working for him, he noticed nobody came to lecture, and he felt it to be vital to have that kind of interaction between professor and student. so the powerpoints came with all sorts of missing pieces to them that you had to come to class to get so you could have complete PPts to study from. thats when i learned all i needed to know about the education industry. test scores dropped considerably that semester, and the one that followed that.

I agree that it may be lame to require organic lab for PA or medical school, and I'm not sure why it is required. I imagine it has something to do with proving that you're capable of following an algorithm and being both precise and patient enough to get the right results. For those who have taken online organic lab, what does that entail? While plenty of scientific research is done strictly using a computer program, most of that is theoretical. Even at the the organic chemistry presentations I've seen at ACS conferences involved bench work. I'm curious as to how this can be emulated online.

I also agree that honesty is the key here. I've looked at over a dozen PA schools, and they all have different pre-reqs. If I'm don't want to fulfill certain ones, I'll cross those schools off my list. If some schools will accept online labs, then stick with those schools.

I think that many classes can be completed online if the classroom experience isn't interactive. I went to a large university where one of our lecture halls held 570 students. Some classes were worth attending, but others were not. My cell bio professor was very passionate, and often included journal articles in his slides that were brand new and not updated on his course site. He taught by telling a story, and it was always clear which of the 100+ slides per lecture were important to him and should be the focus when we studied. He also managed to get students involved in the lecture, and some of the creative questions we asked ended up on his exams, which were open-ended and graded based upon our understanding of the actual lecture, not just the slides and textbook. My microbiology class, on the other hand, was pointless to attend. Everything we needed was in our "text," which was basically a pre-printed copy of all his presentations.

The only lab I can imagine doing online, based on my experience, was gen chem, since so much of it was done using software in the lab itself. Pharmacology lab involved animal research, and the key was to dissect properly and obtain the right tissues to expose to medications in order to measure the physiological response expected. Organic lab was all about measuring things correctly and following the procedure to obtain the desired yield. How does that work online?

Thanks again guys. As I said before the school I plan on applying to didn't state if I could take online labs or not. I am merely wondering if it was ok at schools you guys have applied to that didn't state. Many of you were very helpful. I know the biggest part about being a PA will come from the core curriculum and then the experiences you learn over a lifetime in the practice. In the military I know plenty of MDs who consult PAs who have been in practice for many years and many who became a PA when it was a small program in the 70s-80s. Most of these guys did not have to take these pre-rec classes since their military experience as an IDC(Independent Duty Corpsman). I guess it just floored me to think some people believe if you take online pre-rec classes it could possibly make you a "crappy" PA/MD. Honestly if you pass the program than you have earned your stripes regardless of how you took your pre-recs. Thanks again!