Northern Arizona University Interviews for 2022 Cycle

Hello All, 

I hope you all doing ok. I want to ask if anyone of you here applied to NAU for the 2021-2022 got interview invitation? For those who got interview, what was your stats like GPA, HCE, direct patient care, etc.

I am waiting and still haven't received anything. Please reply and provide as much detail as possible

Hi! Of course. This was my second time applying to the program. Last year I applied right before I graduated from ASU and I am not sure why but I did not meet the minimum qualifications. 
This year I reapplied and since I was already graduated my final overall cgpa was 3.18 my science was 3.04 and non science was 3.3. They no longer require the GRE however other schools that I applied to do, thus we won’t worry about my scores (but they were pretty average). 
I have no research hours, however I have over 4500 hours in medical experience and volunteer work since I worked as a medical scribe, medical assistant and nursing assistant. 
Two days ago I received my first interview offer from a different school here in AZ which I’m excited about. However, I know that it was because of my supplemental essays and my personal statement not my gpa. 

My best advice to you is to not worry so much stats. As long as you meet the min requirements and have a great essay(s)- you have a strong chance. I have a few friends in PA school who told me that stats matter but not as much as it seems. They’ll still consider you for an interview if you have a captivating story/personal statement. 

Also, yes the school is pretty competitive, especially to instate individuals. 

I know I gave a longer response than you asked for, but I hope this helps! Good luck 🙂 

Edited by vert05

Hello, 

thank you for sharing the information. I wonder what school you got interview invitation from? I applied to 3 schools in AZ but a couple did not meet their requirement. One of them is AT Still University which required a letter of recommendation from a PA but I could not provide one. And Midwestern asked for GRE which I did terrible on it. 

how did you get a letter from a PA? Where you worked as a scribe if you don’t mind sharing that. 
thank you again for sharing and good luck on the interview wish you best success. 

I applied to NAU, Midwestern and Franklin pierce. I did not apply to  AT still because I never took medical terminology. 
I got denied from Midwestern which now looking at it, was a blessing in disguise because let’s face it- the school is very expensive. NAU I am still eagerly waiting to hear back from, and my interview is for Franklin pierce. Even though it is a developing program, I am eager about potentially attending there. I am thankful to get in anywhere, you know? 
My family includes a few doctors and nurses, because of that I was able to work for a family friend in Phoenix who is a PA. Within the same clinic I worked with her (the PA) and the physician as their medical assistant and scribe. 

When I first started looking for a PA to get a letter from and volunteer for, I simply called as many clinics as I could and asked if they offered shadowing. I ended up shadowing Dr.Hobgood in Mesa. He has a PA that works for him I believe. You could try contacting them? It is a plastic surgery clinic. 

Hope this helps!

If you have anymore questions, don’t hesitate to ask! 

11 hours ago, ASC111 said:

Hi, I received an interview invite from NAU. 

My stats are:

GPA: 3.92

Science GPA 3.90

PCE: 1,392 hours

Volunteer: 506 hours

Research: 504

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Hello ASC111, 

Thank you for the info. Do you other applicants who had lower GPA like 3.4 to 3.5 and were offered interview at NAU or were accepted to NAU? 

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everybody! I received an invitation for NAU on August 31, 2021. The Zoom interview was already scheduled for the second week of September so I did not get to personally select an interview date. I think a lot of programs interview candidates on Mondays because that gives the administrative team more time to meet during the week. Communicate this with your supervisors ahead of time if you need to take off work! 

NAU will give you an interview-day schedule ahead of time. I'm not sure if the format changes with each group that goes through but we had a 1-on-1 and a group interview (both over Zoom). We spent a lot of extra time waiting in the chat room getting to know other candidates and asking the other administrators questions. Warning you now, it was a LONG day- it went from 08:00 to 17:00. 

I have not heard back from the program yet after my interview. From my understanding, we were one of the first groups to go through the process for the 2021-2022 cycle. The administrators said that the NAU PA program may accept a few students after the first week of their respective interviews, but noted that everyone else would likely hear back in December. From my understanding, there are still interviews being sent out. It's still early in the interview process people!! 

Good luck everyone 🙂 NAU has a fantastic program! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 10:59 AM, vert05 said:

I applied there and have not heard anything yet. The only email that I received said "A preliminary review has been completed. You have met all of the minimum requirements for admission. Your application will be forwarded to the next level of review." That was on 8/17.

Good luck! 

Hi! I received that same email 9/08. I still havent heard anything back from them. Did you finally hear anything back? I am hesitant to reach out to them because I know they're super busy. Just so confused!

On 9/5/2021 at 2:16 PM, vert05 said:

Hi! Of course. This was my second time applying to the program. Last year I applied right before I graduated from ASU and I am not sure why but I did not meet the minimum qualifications. 
This year I reapplied and since I was already graduated my final overall cgpa was 3.18 my science was 3.04 and non science was 3.3. They no longer require the GRE however other schools that I applied to do, thus we won’t worry about my scores (but they were pretty average). 
I have no research hours, however I have over 4500 hours in medical experience and volunteer work since I worked as a medical scribe, medical assistant and nursing assistant. 
Two days ago I received my first interview offer from a different school here in AZ which I’m excited about. However, I know that it was because of my supplemental essays and my personal statement not my gpa. 

My best advice to you is to not worry so much stats. As long as you meet the min requirements and have a great essay(s)- you have a strong chance. I have a few friends in PA school who told me that stats matter but not as much as it seems. They’ll still consider you for an interview if you have a captivating story/personal statement. 

Also, yes the school is pretty competitive, especially to instate individuals. 

I know I gave a longer response than you asked for, but I hope this helps! Good luck 🙂 

Hello Vert05, 

May I ask you where you did your medical scribe? Did you have to go yo school for the medical assistant job or you were provided on job training? I want to work as a medical assistant but I don't know if I need to go to school for that or not?

And for the personal statement, how do I write a captivating personal statement? Seriously I ask you because I wrote one but I don't think is so great that can convince the reader. Could you share your personal statement with me on a private email? I need your help with the personal statement

Thank you very much

1 hour ago, PAdream21 said:

Hello Vert05, 

May I ask you where you did your medical scribe? Did you have to go yo school for the medical assistant job or you were provided on job training? I want to work as a medical assistant but I don't know if I need to go to school for that or not?

And for the personal statement, how do I write a captivating personal statement? Seriously I ask you because I wrote one but I don't think is so great that can convince the reader. Could you share your personal statement with me on a private email? I need your help with the personal statement

Thank you very much

Hey! Happy Halloween! 
I worked as a scribe for banner health, abrazo and a small clinic in PHX. For my medical assistant job I was trained on the job and was fortunate enough to have an NP, PA and MD sign off on everything I did. I do highly recommend going to school for your MA license. It will be easier for you to find an actual MA job that way. Like I said, I got very lucky and I personally knew the MD and PA. Most practices usually will not work with you unless you are licensed. 
My personal statement took me three months to edit and I had 12 people read it. My circumstances are very rare and I wish them upon no one. I chose to write about a drunk driving car accident that I was involved in where people died. This to me is a very personal experience that changed my life. However, everyone is different. My first advice to you is to be entirely honest in your statement. The universities will test you and try to prove that your personal statement is factual based and true. Don’t lie about anything. Secondly, write about something that is personal and shows who you are as an individual. The personal letter is what gets you an interview, the interview gets you accepted. Lastly, HAVE ATLEAST FIVE (yes, five!!!) people read your essay! People that are not your family and are unbiased. Get their feedback and improve your essay on this! 
Hope this helps!

13 minutes ago, vert05 said:

Hey! Happy Halloween! 
I worked as a scribe for banner health, abrazo and a small clinic in PHX. For my medical assistant job I was trained on the job and was fortunate enough to have an NP, PA and MD sign off on everything I did. I do highly recommend going to school for your MA license. It will be easier for you to find an actual MA job that way. Like I said, I got very lucky and I personally knew the MD and PA. Most practices usually will not work with you unless you are licensed. 
My personal statement took me three months to edit and I had 12 people read it. My circumstances are very rare and I wish them upon no one. I chose to write about a drunk driving car accident that I was involved in where people died. This to me is a very personal experience that changed my life. However, everyone is different. My first advice to you is to be entirely honest in your statement. The universities will test you and try to prove that your personal statement is factual based and true. Don’t lie about anything. Secondly, write about something that is personal and shows who you are as an individual. The personal letter is what gets you an interview, the interview gets you accepted. Lastly, HAVE ATLEAST FIVE (yes, five!!!) people read your essay! People that are not your family and are unbiased. Get their feedback and improve your essay on this! 
Hope this helps!

Hey Happy Halloween to you!

You said the PA, and MD sign off everything you did? Did the school required you to submit verification for hours?

8 minutes ago, PAdream21 said:

Hey Happy Halloween to you!

You said the PA, and MD sign off everything you did? Did the school required you to submit verification for hours?

One school did, not NAU. However the MD and PA wrote my letters of rec and I listed them as references on all of the documentation I submitted. So if the schools needed to verify, it would be very easy for them to do so. 

On 9/4/2021 at 4:07 PM, PAdream21 said:

Hello All, 

I hope you all doing ok. I want to ask if anyone of you here applied to NAU for the 2021-2022 got interview invitation? For those who got interview, what was your stats like GPA, HCE, direct patient care, etc.

I am waiting and still haven't received anything. Please reply and provide as much detail as possible

Hi! have you heard anything back yet? 

On 9/4/2021 at 4:07 PM, PAdream21 said:

Hello All, 

Hey! I actually just received a phone call yesterday from NAU with a last minute interview opening. It is scheduled for this upcoming Monday so I am pretty sure they are still handing out interviews but not much time to prepare so I would get as prepared for the interview as possible since there is still hope! 🙂

6 minutes ago, Carliendsley13 said:

Hey! I actually just received a phone call yesterday from NAU with a last minute interview opening. It is scheduled for this upcoming Monday so I am pretty sure they are still handing out interviews but not much time to prepare so I would get as prepared for the interview as possible since there is still hope! 🙂

Good luck. Let us know how it went. :)

16 hours ago, Carliendsley13 said:

Hi Carlie, 

I just saw this post I am also interviewing tomorrow Monday November 8th! I heard back last Friday and recently got more information regarding the interview style, seems like it will be a long day! I am excited to meet everyone but a little nervous since this is my first interview experience. Anyway, good luck tomorrow look forward to meeting you 🙂