Critical Care in Massachusetts

I am critical care PA currently living and working in Atlanta, GA with hopes to eventually move to Massachusetts as this is home for me.

I started the job search in critical care and so far have seen a huge variety in scope of practice. I'm coming from a program that is very well established with great utilization of APPs (PAs and NPs are interchangeable on my unit). I love my job and this will be hard to leave.

If you work in critical care in Massachusetts, any programs using PAs in the ICU with good scope of practice? I don't want to sacrifice my role in procedures, decision making, and family conversations. In my current role, it is well balanced with support from our physicians when needed but also trust and autonomy for us get things done. 

Also am I kidding myself that compensation to cost of living will be comparable? Living in GA is cheap and I make 137K working 3 - 12 hour nights a week. OT shifts are $150/hr, with as much as I want available. Hard to leave that kind of money.

I have family in both western Massachusetts and south of Boston, so location in Massachusetts very flexible. Just want to get up north and be closer than Atlanta. I'd appreciate any insight !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1