Talk of the Nation: NPR

Guest hubbardtim48

Guest hubbardtim48

Not quite...You can dream all you want that DNPs will rule everyone's life, but that is not true and I have been in health care too long to know that won't happen. The coverage is MY patients and not the DNPs. What do DNPs know about hiring PAs? I guess I would do all of that...Please keep dreaming in your little land, but this would never occur and hasn't yet in health care (at least where I have worked).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the convo with the DNP debate. I think I was the first to bring it up, but I don't want to bash nursing or NP's. I think they are good at what they do. I have been working at a free clinic for a few years and one of the FNP's who volunteers there is very good with the patients and very thorough. Patients feel comfortable talking to her about their alcoholism, drug use, domestic violence, ect . . . I've seen some doctors come through that clinic who were I'm sure are very capable physicians, but were so brusque and condescending towards patients you could tell the patients would clam up around him. We even had one patient run out of the room crying because the doc was such a jerk to her. In particular, I think it's a problem especially with FMG's who don't really understand the culture of the population they are working with. Anyway, I see a lot of value and potential in the nursing approach to health care, and I do think the majority are cognizant of their limitations and are happy to collaborate with physicians.

Archived